Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 29 2013, 03:55 AM   #691
Qutluch
Commander

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

[Vis a vis

Tom Paris has been getting stir crazy. He hasn’t been putting his heart into his work, been showing up late to duty, has been skipping his roster time with the doctor, and has been hiding from everyone in the holodeck fixing a 1969 Camaro. Chakotay tells him that he’s turned his life around, but that doesn’t mean that he’s done growing as a person. He must keep working at his life, or he’ll slip back to who he once was.

An alien named Steth pulls out of a “coaxial warp drive” jump, but his engines are overloading. Coaxial warp drives are only theoretical for the federation, so Paris is very excited about it. He asks to help fix the ship and comes up with the idea of fixing the particle problem with a 24th century version of a carburetor. However, the time he’s been slacking off and the time he’s spent with Steth has strained his relationship with B’Elanna. Steth asks him how he likes his life on Voyager, and he tries to sound optimistic about the positive things, but actually sounds angry and ungrateful. Steth, who is a body snatcher, transfers their consciousness and puts him into the shuttle, sending him back to the original planet he came from.

The body snatcher (BS) starts manipulating the crew. He ditches the doctor and then romances B’Elanna. (On a side note, I’m pretty sure B’Elanna is raped by him….they at least insinuate that they were getting romantic…) He gets drunk and threatens Seven, who reports him to Janeway. He’s called before her and tries to talk his way out of it, even saying “You can’t take the word of a Borg over mine!” Janeway orders him to sickbay, but he attacks her. Tuvok runs in and shoots the BS as he’s choking Janeway.

Tom wakes up in Steth’s body, having jumped to the other planet. A warship is waiting for him, and arrests him for body stealing. The REAL Steth, who is trapped in a woman’s body, realizes what has happened, and they fly back to Voyager to catch the alien.

The Doctor has found an alien DNA strain in Tom’s body, but he doesn’t know what it means. Janeway gets a hail from Tom and Steth, trying to explain what happened, but Janeway puts a tractor beam on them, saying that they’re the ones responsible for attacking Tom in the first place. She runs to the shuttle bay, where Seven is adding a coaxial drive to a shuttle. Janeway stuns Seven, revealing the BS has taken her over, and she takes the ship out. Tom figures out what’s happening, and convinces Chakotay by talking about their discussion a few days earlier. Chakotay lets him go, and Paris knocks out the carburetor system he developed, capturing the BS alien. Everyone gets returned to their bodies, and the real Steth says that he’s going to try and retrace all of the BS alien’s victims.

Paris and B’Elanna have one last moment in the garage, where he apologizes for shutting her out. He shows her the finished Camaro, and they get a little romantic time in the car.

Favorite Part: It was a pretty bad ass car, with some excellent 60s throwback lines and lingo.

Least Favorite Part: There were some pretty big plot holes in this episode. B’Elanna is never really angry enough for being stood up by Paris, violated by fake Tom, or for her man being swapped by an alien entity. Janeway was being choked by the alien, but Janeway was the alien at that point. (Yes, it might have finished the process just as Tuvok shot, but it’s still rather weak).

If the coaxial drive works, why isn’t this looked at as a possible way home?
Old April 29 2013, 04:07 AM   #692
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Retrospect... well this one was basically written as an episode about how Seven overcomes everyone not trusting her. Fairly typical stuff, but you have a good point about the mind meld. Heck, Seven's probably the only person in the crew who wouldn't randomly mind a Vulcan probing through their most private thoughts.

The Killing Game... I dunno, the Nazi bit is just so cliche it ruins the episode for me. To me involving Nazi's as any villain in a supposedly original work is just the ultimate lack of creativity. The over all premise of the episode is interesting, but if the Hunters(and coincidentally the writers) have access to all humanity's history, there are more violent and combative scenarios then playing a Gestapo agent hunting down Anne Frank. The Roman Colosseum, the Mongol invasions, the Napoleonic Wars, the US Civil War, any ancient Greek or Roman campaign, or if you're bound and determined to rip off WW2, use Iwo Jima or some place else in the Pacific that's not so terribly cliche. To say nothing of the ending... what happened to Janeway's... I'll destroy this ship before giving any part of it to the enemy.

Vis a Vis. Ooh, evil body snatcher episode. Wait didn't we do one of these already with Kes? Oh well a bad episode deserves to be copied! So typical mystery element before the big reveal, but the bad guy is thwarted and the reset button is pushed. Pretty cliche and typical material. Oh and that coaxial warp drive was removed from existence by said reset button too.
Old April 29 2013, 04:48 AM   #693
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Vis a Vis: Star Trek's version of The Hidden I guess, though the movie had better laughs and a more disgusting body transference process.
Old April 29 2013, 08:07 PM   #694
Qutluch
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Retrospect... well this one was basically written as an episode about how Seven overcomes everyone not trusting her. Fairly typical stuff, but you have a good point about the mind meld. Heck, Seven's probably the only person in the crew who wouldn't randomly mind a Vulcan probing through their most private thoughts.

The Killing Game... I dunno, the Nazi bit is just so cliche it ruins the episode for me. To me involving Nazi's as any villain in a supposedly original work is just the ultimate lack of creativity. The over all premise of the episode is interesting, but if the Hunters(and coincidentally the writers) have access to all humanity's history, there are more violent and combative scenarios then playing a Gestapo agent hunting down Anne Frank. The Roman Colosseum, the Mongol invasions, the Napoleonic Wars, the US Civil War, any ancient Greek or Roman campaign, or if you're bound and determined to rip off WW2, use Iwo Jima or some place else in the Pacific that's not so terribly cliche. To say nothing of the ending... what happened to Janeway's... I'll destroy this ship before giving any part of it to the enemy.

Vis a Vis. Ooh, evil body snatcher episode. Wait didn't we do one of these already with Kes? Oh well a bad episode deserves to be copied! So typical mystery element before the big reveal, but the bad guy is thwarted and the reset button is pushed. Pretty cliche and typical material. Oh and that coaxial warp drive was removed from existence by said reset button too.
My vote for U.S. History would be the U.S. Civil War. For World History: I like the Roman Coliseum idea!
Old April 29 2013, 08:12 PM   #695
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Or heck, they could've showed us something we never saw before like the Vulcan Romulan separation. I bet there was a lot of combat there. Or maybe World War 3 or the Eugenics Wars. Flesh out that Trek history a bit better.
Old April 29 2013, 08:44 PM   #696
Qutluch
Commander

I like that. The Eugenics War would have been a great option. It would be nice to see the Trek History in action.
Old April 30 2013, 02:39 AM   #697
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about the Bell Riots?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 04:39 PM   #698
R. Star
Rear Admiral

You mean the Riots we already saw on DS9? Well at least it wouldn't be alien Nazi's.
Old April 30 2013, 04:49 PM   #699
Melakon
Vice Admiral

They could have done endless variations on the small disturbance at space station K-7 in 2268.
Old April 30 2013, 11:42 PM   #700
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And in either you could have had Avery Guest Starring.

The difference between DS9 Past Tense and what we'd see in a Voyager recreation is that it would be Histories Gabriel Bell and not Sisko pretending to be Gabriel Bell.

If a Voyager recreation of the Tribble event took place, and millions of hours of actual real security footage was used for source code, then someone playing a Trouble with Tribbles holodeck game is eventually going to run into and recognize a member of the DS9 command staff and wonder what the fuck is going on.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:27 PM   #701
Qutluch
Commander

I am skipping ahead a little. I watched several episodes while I was working; so I did not have time to write them up. I will say that I like how Seven's character is progressing. I am happy to see some conflict with her.

Hope and Fear

Awesome episode. I appreciate the foreshadowing in the opening scene with Janeway and Seven playing their game. Seven makes a comment about how she could possibly lose, which Janeway retorts with intuition. In the episode intuition is what saves Voyager. The episode ends in the same room as it begun with Janeway still beating Seven in the holodeck game.

Night
Another good episode. However, the bleakness of it is interesting. Everyone was anxious and moody because of the lack of action. Janeway was sulking because she feels guilty. It seems like the crew was excited for a fight. For a ship full of peaceful explorers they sure get antsy when it comes to peacefulness. They were foaming at the mouth to have a conflict. Either way though, I enjoyed this episode. It showed that Janeway has weakness too.
Old May 13 2013, 09:16 AM   #702
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Hope and Fear. You really sympathize with Arturis and it's nice to see that Janeway's decisions carry some consequences. Plus it was nice to see the season end without a cliche cliffhanger of some kind. You can only do it so many times.

Night was a real interesting concept and really set some good atmosphere with the Void. It's nice to see that Janeway actually is feeling guilty over some of the questionable choices she makes, but in locking herself away feeling sorry for herself she's just making another bad call. The Malon are very... believable aliens and we can see some of our own society's flaws in them. The void aliens were very... alien unlike the average aliens with funny heads and clothes. A fun episode all in all.
Old May 14 2013, 03:18 AM   #703
Qutluch
Commander

Drone
Hilarious episode! Strange though...
The doc calls Borg the party poopers of the galaxy. He later peeps in on B'Elanna showering and tells her do not worry it is nothing I have not seen before, " I am a doctor not a peeping Tom!"
Problem, the Doctor and Seven basically have an offspring. The doc even refers to Seven as his Mom.... A whole new meaning to oopsy-baby. This reminds me of the episode where Paris and Janeway had the worm babies....at least this was more humorous.
One saves Voyager from the Borg, and kills himself to prevent the crew from further attacks by the Borg. Seven finds her humanity in the loss, and the doctor apologizes for her loss, but I know he is secretly happy that he gets his emitter back!
Favorite part: seven has a deeper connection to humanity because of her experienced loss.
Least favorite part: Janeway should have pulled the plug on the Drone when it was maturing. They openly acknowledged that the drone would be more powerful then them, and that they did not know if they could control the drone. This threat along with the fact that they may be giving the Borg superior technology should have been enough to " pull the plug ".
Old May 14 2013, 03:58 AM   #704
Ryva Brall
Commander

I loved "Drone". I thought Jeri Ryan was excellent in it. Did you by any chance recognize the actor who played One? He was also the main holographic Nazi dude in "The Killing Game", as well as a Cardassian on DS9. Needless to say, I much preferred him as One. He was adorable, and I wish he'd had a longer story arc. Unfortunately, he suffered from Too-Awesome-to-Live Syndrome.

I enjoyed his conversation with the Doc. "I wish to hear the story. NOW." And, "I see you have your mother's sense of humor."

Although he was no doubt relieved to have his emitter back, I think the Doc would have gladly learned to live without it if it meant keeping One alive.
Old May 14 2013, 04:08 AM   #705
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Did you by any chance recognize the actor who played One? He was also the main holographic Nazi dude in "The Killing Game",
The super hot Nazi?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote