IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 30 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

A field commission is a perfectly legitimate commission. And there's no reason to bust the guy back to commander after he's saved the Earth.

Now, I understand there's no ship for him to take command of...and it's just awkward to have Picard call him "Captain" for a year. (Though that can just be avoided by always referring to him as Number One.) But let's say you're Rick Berman, and you don't give a flip if your show has serialized elements...how do you fix this?

Myself, I offer Frakes DS9*, and go with either Shelby coming back in a year if the actress wants to, or with Data as XO.

*It could work! Don't be hatin...
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:12 PM   #2
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Re: Pedantic Star Trek discussion #134: Riker's Field Commission

Just promote Picard to Commodore.
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:27 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

They had no problem having Captain Kirk and Captain Spock on the Enterprise A.
Old April 30 2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Gaith
Rear Admiral

That puzzled me for a moment in BOBW the other night too; he should have just been officially recognized as acting captain, for exactly that reason.

Also, I watched most of DS9's "Emissary" the other day, and indeed thought it was pretty odd that Starfleet would assign a guy as unenthusiastic and undecided on his future career as Sisko to such a diplomatically and politically sensitive posting. Surely there were plenty of senior officers on hand as eager as Bashir to make a name for themselves out on the frontier...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:45 PM   #6
The Fiend
Torturing Savage Dragon

Plenty of other things in Trek to make the fans insane. What's one more?
The Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:10 PM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Gaith wrote: View Post
Also, I watched most of DS9's "Emissary" the other day, and indeed thought it was pretty odd that Starfleet would assign a guy as unenthusiastic and undecided on his future career as Sisko to such a diplomatically and politically sensitive posting. Surely there were plenty of senior officers on hand as eager as Bashir to make a name for themselves out on the frontier...
I was under the impression that until the discovery of the wormhole DS9 wasn't considered diplomatically/politically sensitive, especially given that the Cardassians had withdrawn from Bajor and seemed to have lost interest in the sector.

It may be that the senior officers who were available to take command of DS9 weren't inclined to take command of a station in the state DS9 was in. Sisko, being a commander, would presumably have less wiggle room.

If you want to go with a subversive option, Opaka requested Sisko based on a vision from the prophets but asked that her request be kept confidential. That would be why he was of immediate interest to the monk in the temple on DS9.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 10:10 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
I think the rank of Commodore had been phased out by TNG due to a finding that the rank drove people insane.
Most people not familiar with military hierarchies have difficulty distinguishing between commander and commodore.
Old May 3 2013, 02:48 AM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
Most people not familiar with military hierarchies have difficulty distinguishing between commander and commodore.
I didn't have any issue with that when I was five. Commander was the guy with two stripes and Commodore was the guy with a big fat stripe who, usually, was a douchebag, a moron or insane.
Old May 3 2013, 02:50 AM   #10
R. Star
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post

I didn't have any issue with that when I was five. Commander was the guy with two stripes and Commodore was the guy with a big fat stripe who, usually, was a douchebag, a moron or insane.
It seems to be a requirement to get a flag rank in Starfleet. No wonder Kirk didn't last as an Admiral.
Old May 3 2013, 05:00 AM   #11
GameOn
Lieutenant Commander

After the events of "The Best of Both Worlds" Riker was given extended leave while the Enterprise was undergoing repairs. He decided to head to Risa for an extended session of jamaharon but realised his vast Horga'hn collection was far too big to fit on any transport ship so decided to just steal the Enterprise instead.

For his actions Riker was reduced in rank to Commander and as a consequence of his new rank was given the duty for which he had repeatedly demonstrated unswerving ability: sitting in the shadow of a great man and passing up one command after another.
GameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
xvicente
Commander

GameOn wrote: View Post
After the events of "The Best of Both Worlds" Riker was given extended leave while the Enterprise was undergoing repairs. He decided to head to Risa for an extended session of jamaharon but realised his vast Horga'hn collection was far too big to fit on any transport ship so decided to just steal the Enterprise instead.

For his actions Riker was reduced in rank to Commander and as a consequence of his new rank was given the duty for which he had repeatedly demonstrated unswerving ability: sitting in the shadow of a great man and passing up one command after another.
I see no reason this could not be canon

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It couldn't be canon because it's not sanctioned by TPTB.

If you want it in your personal continuity though, go right ahead...

</grammar-nazi>
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:42 AM   #14
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I know it was not his fault etc, but I can't see many families of Starfleet personel present at Wolf359 being happy with that. And what had Picard done by this point in the series to deserve such a promotion?
Old May 8 2013, 08:51 AM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
I know it was not his fault etc, but I can't see many families of Starfleet personel present at Wolf359 being happy with that. And what had Picard done by this point in the series to deserve such a promotion?
Given he was offered a promotion to Admiral in season 1, I should imagine his career as captain of the Stargazer had a lot to do with it.