Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30 2013, 02:20 PM   #211
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Interesting thing I read over at that other Doctor Who board:

You call yourself Doctor.
Why do you do that?
You have a name. I've seen it.
In one corner of that tiny...

Does this suggest maybe Clara got the name from the small TARDIS toy and not the book?
"Made in China"
Old April 30 2013, 02:20 PM   #212
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I thought of that after Brent's comment as well.

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post

Why do you do that?

Does this suggest maybe Clara got the name from the small TARDIS toy and not the book?
No, I don't think so. The scene doesn't convey the toy Tardis in any sense. It's only overt statement is the book.
It's just speculation, the thought being the last line doesn't really fit the book and it helps explain that she didn't just open the book and see "The Doctor's name is xxxxx.". Plus, Chekov's Gun and all that. I don't know if I'm convinced either but it's fun to consider.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:35 PM   #213
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Of course, the Looms have absolutely nothing to do with romance one way or the other and you'd know that if you had indeed read the books you're referencing. It's just a strange, alien way that Time Lords reproduce, which is fine as they're aliens and shouldn't have the same biology and mating culture as us.
The hell they don't. Admittedly, it is my own opinion, but I have always felt that the Looms were devised just to cement the long held theory by some segments of fandom that Susan was not--despite all evidence on screen to the contrary--the Doctor's biological granddaughter, because The Doctor should be above such things or the idea that romance was a betrayal of his character. The Looms made all Time Lords asexual and allowed these fans to hide behind the "It's just a strange, alien way that Time Lords reproduce.." type rationale instead of facing the fact that the Doctor may have, in his past, had a sex life and a family.

DalekJim wrote:
So like, a sheep has to have been in love to have made a baby sheep? A termite has to have been in love to have reproduced? Where the hell did you learn biology? From Walt Disney?
So, suddenly the Doctor is a farm animal or a hive minded insect? Interesting...
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:37 PM   #214
Starkers
Admiral

I never implied they were? I don't mind humans having romance stories, I just think the more human The Doctor gets, the less interesting he becomes. I don't see how it implies I'm asexual, homosexual, misogynist or afraid of women.

I love and enjoy women .
But given how dull most other Timelords are, you could argue the Doctor is more interesting because he's more human

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:48 PM   #215
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Why do you do that?

Maybe it's the crib? Tiny and wouldn't be surprising at all to have his name on it.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 06:38 PM   #216
Avon
Fleet Captain

DalekJim wrote:
So like, a sheep has to have been in love to have made a baby sheep? A termite has to have been in love to have reproduced? Where the hell did you learn biology? From Walt Disney?
why do you compare the doctor to animals of low intelligence? do you think he's thicker than those chavs you moaned about a few pages back?

'the doctor can't fall in love because i don't want him to wah wah' is such a great arguement. how about backing yourself up with more than some random tangent about animals can't fall in love. fuck that. the doctors not some animal.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 06:57 PM   #217
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote:
why do you compare the doctor to animals of low intelligence? do you think he's thicker than those chavs you moaned about a few pages back?

'the doctor can't fall in love because i don't want him to wah wah' is such a great arguement. how about backing yourself up with more than some random tangent about animals can't fall in love. fuck that. the doctors not some animal.
The one thing no one is talking about is the Doctor already has a wife in River Song, so, alien or not, it's not apprpriate for a Kid's(Or family) show for him to be having relations with Companions at this point.

With McGann, it was only barely hinted at with Daphne Ashbrook. So, with Tenant/Eccelston and Rose, it was still fresh and new, so their Love story was OK. Bringing in Martha with her lust for the Doctor was old hat and annoying (Though I lik Martha other than that). Donna was against Hanky Panky in the TARDIS, and instead of Amy, he went her Daughter. A hookup with Clara is just very wrong considering his Marriage to River, and the Love with Companion thing is definitely getting old now.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 07:20 PM   #218
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Sindatur wrote: View Post
With McGann, it was only barely hinted at with Daphne Ashbrook. So, with Tenant/Eccelston and Rose, it was still fresh and new, so their Love story was OK. Bringing in Martha with her lust for the Doctor was old hat and annoying (Though I lik Martha other than that). Donna was against Hanky Panky in the TARDIS, and instead of Amy, he went her Daughter. A hookup with Clara is just very wrong considering his Marriage to River, and the Love with Companion thing is definitely getting old now.
It happened twice and it's already getting old? Think about how many Dalek stories we would have missed if it worked like that!
Old April 30 2013, 07:24 PM   #219
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

A hookup with Clara is just very wrong considering his Marriage to River, and the Love with Companion thing is definitely getting old now.
Now this is a whole different (and more valid, imo) argument.

1) At what point is the Doctor considered a widower? He did see his wife die before he married her. Is it after their last date?

2) This is subjective, but I can appreciate this argument more than the silly idea that the Doctor shouldn't have romances.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 07:30 PM   #220
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
It happened twice and it's already getting old? Think about how many Dalek stories we would have missed if it worked like that!
Twice?
8 and his Companion (Though only small hints)
9/10 and Rose
Martha coming on to him
Amy trying to get the Doctor to take her the night before her Wedding
River
Jack woulda fooled around with him (though didn't pursue him)
Jackie would've taken The Doctor for a spin

Companions not wantng to get Jiggy with The Doctor since Ace:
Donna
Adam
Christina (Though, had she stuck around, I wouldn't be surprised if she tied)

Old April 30 2013, 07:48 PM   #221
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Of course, the Looms have absolutely nothing to do with romance one way or the other and you'd know that if you had indeed read the books you're referencing. It's just a strange, alien way that Time Lords reproduce, which is fine as they're aliens and shouldn't have the same biology and mating culture as us.
The hell they don't. Admittedly, it is my own opinion, but I have always felt that the Looms were devised just to cement the long held theory by some segments of fandom that Susan was not--despite all evidence on screen to the contrary--the Doctor's biological granddaughter, because The Doctor should be above such things or the idea that romance was a betrayal of his character. The Looms made all Time Lords asexual and allowed these fans to hide behind the "It's just a strange, alien way that Time Lords reproduce.." type rationale instead of facing the fact that the Doctor may have, in his past, had a sex life and a family.

DalekJim wrote:
So, suddenly the Doctor is a farm animal or a hive minded insect? Interesting...
It's easier that way. Better than conceiving that the Doctor has, you know, SEX, or falling in love.. Aliens don't have sex, ya know. They have Pon Farr or Looms. But, sex? Love? That's something for dirty humans.
Old April 30 2013, 08:27 PM   #222
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Twice?
Sorry, I don't want to nitpick your post to death, but yes, twice. The "Love with Companion thing" happened twice.

8 and his Companion (Though only small hints)
Small hints don't count. Come on, if you've ever been in love you know that "small hints of love" is as far removed from the real deal as is possible. Nothing happened between them apart from a vaguely romantic mood.

9/10 and Rose
One.

Martha coming on to him
The very point of Martha story was that it was not a "Love with Companion thing". In fact, that's why she left the TARDIS.

Amy trying to get the Doctor to take her the night before her Wedding
But he didn't, because he was Space Gandalf.

River
Two.

Jack woulda fooled around with him (though didn't pursue him)
Jack is an endless stream of innuendo. Again, that has nothing to do with the real thing.

Jackie would've taken The Doctor for a spin
But she didn't. And I guess one could debate whether she even was a Companion to begin with.

So yeah. The "Love with Companion thing" happened twice, once with Rose, once with River. I still don't think it's "getting old".
Old April 30 2013, 08:44 PM   #223
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Martha and Amy absolutely count, because they tried to get into his pants. That's the whole point of why, for me at least, it's gotten old. It's almost every Companion.

Just Rose, was fine, it was new and fresh. Bringing Martha in to come on to him was getting repetitive, and then Amy coming onto him, the night before her Wedding, nonetheless, made it a habit

Old April 30 2013, 10:01 PM   #224
Konata Izumi
Commander

junxon wrote: View Post
DalekJim wrote:

I might have bad news for you...

I don't think the Doctor's disposition's more alien from our point of view than that of a very eccentric human. His slightly different hardware allows him to have a lifestyle humans can't have but his disposition seems to be within human limits.

Psychotic crush kind of love was never part of the character in the first 26 seasons, but sometimes people change radically at a late point in their life especially when there's a crisis, and there was a Time-Lord sized one before Nine.

It's been interesting how it's led to doom and gloom in Ten and now with Eleven losing his companions, despite his attempts at self-control having been much more respectable.

DalekJim read your pm and say something
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 10:02 PM   #225
Starkers
Admiral

Amy's feelings for the doctor were at least more complex, and the whole scene where she tried to get in his pants did make dramatic sense given what she'd just been through. Plus the Doctor had been on her mind for a long time. And at least it was dealt with and the characters moved on. Give me Amy trying to jump the Doctor's bones any day over Martha's season long lovesick puppy act.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote