Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 29 2013, 03:47 PM   #91
Christopher
Writer

Re: Animated Series

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I think the time is ripe for a new animated series. As much as I would love to see one of the older series animated, I suspect it would have to be nuTrek to really be successful. That would be the crew to draw in the younger aged audience.
That seems the most likely possibility. Orci & Kurtzman already produce one animated spinoff of a film franchise they're involved with, Transformers Prime, and we know they've talked about developing an animated Trek spinoff.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:23 PM   #92
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I think the time is ripe for a new animated series. As much as I would love to see one of the older series animated, I suspect it would have to be nuTrek to really be successful. That would be the crew to draw in the younger aged audience.
That seems the most likely possibility. Orci & Kurtzman already produce one animated spinoff of a film franchise they're involved with, Transformers Prime, and we know they've talked about developing an animated Trek spinoff.
An animated Star Trek series would be a catalyst to attract children as new fans to the franchise. Existing fans would enjoy it too.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:38 PM   #93
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

If they could pull off a Trek like they did Transformers Prime I'm all for that. That show is some good Cybertronian action.

If we were to get anything new on TV I believe animated would be it. For some reason I think it'd be a different ship, with the Enterprise in the pilot to help set it up. Mainly due to the cost of the actors.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:50 PM   #94
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

NightJim wrote: View Post
For some reason I think it'd be a different ship, with the Enterprise in the pilot to help set it up. Mainly due to the cost of the actors.
It's not essential for the movie actors to participate in a hypothetical animated series. The Clone Wars, for one, proved that.
Old April 29 2013, 08:27 PM   #95
Christopher
Writer

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
It's not essential for the movie actors to participate in a hypothetical animated series. The Clone Wars, for one, proved that.
Indeed. There are plenty of animated adaptations of movie franchises, but it's rare for them to use the actual movie casts; they usually go with similar-sounding substitute actors.

Just to cite a few examples, let's look at the recent shows based on DreamWorks movies. Dragons: Riders of Berk has Jay Baruchel, America Ferreira, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and T.J. Miller reprising their characters from How to Train Your Dragon, but everyone else is recast. Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness has only Lucy Liu and James Hong from the movie cast. And the new Monsters vs. Aliens cartoon has none of the movie cast involved.

Other examples: The Real Ghostbusters had no cast members in common with the movie (in fact, Ernie Hudson auditioned to play Winston on the cartoon but was rejected for not sounding Winston-like enough!). Men in Black: The Series had only Tony Shalhoub and Vincent D'Onofrio returning from the movie, and everyone else was recast, without even any particular attempt to imitate the film actors' voices. Godzilla: The Series had Kevin Dunn and Malcolm Danare returning from the movie, and that was it. The MTV Spider-Man CGI cartoon that was meant to be a sequel to the first Raimi movie had none of its cast members reprising their roles (although it did get Michael Clark Duncan to reprise Kingpin from the Daredevil movie).

There have been some cases where cartoon adaptations have featured the original cast, true. Filmation was often pretty good at getting the original cast. TOS had everyone but Walter Koenig. The New Adventures of Gilligan had everyone but Tina Louise, with Ginger recast. The '77 New Adventures of Batman had Adam West and Burt Ward, although Lennie Weinrib, Melendy Britt, and Lou Scheimer played everyone else. But they also had their share of shows with actors recast. The Brady Kids initially had the same child stars as The Brady Bunch but recast many of them later on. My Favorite Martians had Jonathan Harris and Howard Morris replacing Ray Walston and Bill Bixby in the leads.

So if there were a Trek cartoon based on the Abramsverse, there's no guarantee it would get many or most of the films' cast. Probably Pine and Saldana are too big to be available or affordable. Cho and Yelchin seem to be rising stars too, so it's hard to say. Pegg might be willing; he has voice-acting experience.

Old April 29 2013, 08:57 PM   #96
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

Excellent points, I guess I was throwing my new live-action series argument in with the animated one because TAS DID have the proper cast, as unusual as that is.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:42 AM   #97
BeatleJWOL
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Other examples:
Really only one character in common, but I was floored the first time I heard Patrick Warburton voicing Buzz Lightyear in the cartoon series...

It would be most hilarious if Simon Pegg ended up voicing multiple characters on a new TAS...that or bring in Mark Hamill for a voice or two.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:48 PM   #98
bbailey861
Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

So if there were a Trek cartoon based on the Abramsverse, there's no guarantee it would get many or most of the films' cast. Probably Pine and Saldana are too big to be available or affordable. Cho and Yelchin seem to be rising stars too, so it's hard to say. Pegg might be willing; he has voice-acting experience.
You are probably correct, but I'd like to think that everyone would be available and willing to do their voiceovers. Even if a season's worth of half-hour animation was say 20 episodes - if the scripts were all set in advance, I'd like to think people could voice all their lines in a few days at most. Coming up with a fee would likely be the biggest sticking point. Wishful thinking, I know, but what the hell, eh?
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:58 PM   #99
Christopher
Writer

You'd think that availability wouldn't be an issue for animation, true, but sometimes it can be. The reason Justice League had George Newbern replacing Tim Daly as the voice of Superman was because Daly's starring role on the TV reboot of The Fugitive (which entailed a lot of travel) made him unavailable for voice work. And I've read about other voice roles in other shows being recast due to the unavailability of the original actors. Although sometimes it's just a matter of becoming too big a star for the show to afford. On the '90s Spider-Man cartoon, the original voice of the Scorpion was Martin Landau. Then he won an Oscar for Ed Wood, and suddenly he was out of their reach. Richard Moll took over the role for the rest of the series.

Old April 30 2013, 03:00 PM   #100
22 Stars
Commodore

I would prefer a Kelvin Series, from the JJ Universe. Maybe 10 years prior to its destruction. New Captain Robau and characters.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:03 PM   #101
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Technically, that would be in both the prime and alternate universes. But I wouldn't mind watching a series based on that either!
Old April 30 2013, 06:33 PM   #102
bbailey861
Admiral

^^You know, I like that idea, too.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote