To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 29 2013, 01:30 AM   #196
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Tom and Louise look fantastic and quite charming.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:37 AM   #197
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

As much as I remember classic Who fondly, the pacing is sooooo slow now that I've seen the modern show.

I think I could only watch selected classic episodes now.

I think Sutekh & Omega might have had the same hat guy.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:33 AM   #198
Christopher
Writer

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
As much as I remember classic Who fondly, the pacing is sooooo slow now that I've seen the modern show.
Well, remember, these were meant to be watched in 25-minute installments. It seems slow-paced when you watch the whole serial in one go, because of the repetition and recaps and multiple inconclusive climaxes. But I imagine if you only saw one half-hour installment per week, the pace would feel better.

Personally I didn't find "Pyramids of Mars" to be slow-paced at all. It went along rather briskly compared to some, and the strong writing and character moments helped maintain interest.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:36 AM   #199
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Tom Baker has really mellowed out after all these years. Maybe all the attention on nuWho has finally taken enough pressure off of him so he can feel comfortable these days. Maybe he's just nostalgic. Anyway I'm sick and tired of seeing Moffat (and seeing Skinner is weird after she just quit). Doesn't he have a life outside of Doctor Who. Why wasn't RTD interviewed? He's a bigger fan and "Pyramid on Mars" is his favorite episode.

After watching "Pyramid on Mars" I can't believe I still love it. Yeah it's slow but it's great that it takes the time to put all the pieces together. The ending was Deus Ex but it felt right for the story.
Old April 29 2013, 12:12 PM   #200
Procutus
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Tom and Louise look fantastic and quite charming.

They did. It was really cool to see them interviewed. I hope that they get both Davison and Sarah Sutton for the pre-show special next month.
Old April 29 2013, 12:17 PM   #201
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Well, remember, these were meant to be watched in 25-minute installments. It seems slow-paced when you watch the whole serial in one go, because of the repetition and recaps and multiple inconclusive climaxes. But I imagine if you only saw one half-hour installment per week, the pace would feel better.

Personally I didn't find "Pyramids of Mars" to be slow-paced at all. It went along rather briskly compared to some, and the strong writing and character moments helped maintain interest.
I agree it was a very good episode, and you're right about the format in those days. It had been a long time since I watched any classic Who.

Having just watched the 1st through 4th Doctor specials, it was cool to have #4 drop the line about the dress being Victoria's. I've always liked those little nods to previous eras & people in the current series'.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:33 PM   #202
Redfern
Commodore

I found it interesting nothing, and I mean nothing was said about about the rest of the Fourth Doctor's companions, specifically Romana. I can understand holding off Adric, Nyssa and Tegan as they "belonged" more to Davison's tenure, but not to state anything about the one companion who could truly match or even exceed the Doctor's intelligence was a bit odd. Even if there are still ill feelings between Baker and Ward, they could have mentioned her first incarnation as played by Mary Tamm. Then again, if she were discussed and not Lalla, fans might have felt slighted, so maybe that's why the whole subject was avoided.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:07 PM   #203
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ I was surprised by that too. The pre-show part seemed to just stop abruptly, like they ran out of time. Not a single mention of a rare Time Lord companion.
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:36 PM   #204
Christopher
Writer

^Well, they've only got a half-hour or so for each special. The previous few specials also focused on a couple of key companions and glossed over the rest.

Old April 29 2013, 03:43 PM   #205
diankra
Commodore

Yminale wrote: View Post
Anyway I'm sick and tired of seeing Moffat (and seeing Skinner is weird after she just quit). Doesn't he have a life outside of Doctor Who. Why wasn't RTD interviewed? He's a bigger fan...
Eh? Russell never went to the Tavern, so far as I know, even before his time on the series. Steve used to turn up most months till he got the show runner job, even after he started writing for the show (and started getting pestered by people wanting to know if he'd ever become showrunner).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 12:13 AM   #206
publiusr
Commodore

Tom may not have wanted to talk about Lala--I think she married Richard Dawkins not too many years after.

I love Tennant and Smith, but to me Tom Baker will always be Dr. Who
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:11 PM   #207
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

^ That's true, but Tom and Mary Tamm were pretty close by most accounts. Very strange that they didn't talk about that. I was wondering if they were planning to show two Fourth Doctor serials at one point and therefore have two separate docs.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 04:34 PM   #208
Redfern
Commodore

It would throw off the timing. As it stands, we will conclude with Smith at the end of November, on time for the 50th anniversy.

May...Davison
June...Colin
July...McCoy
August...McGann
September...Eccleston
October...Tennant
November...Smith

Sincerely,

Bill

Old April 30 2013, 04:36 PM   #209
Christopher
Writer

Gee, I wonder what story they'll show for McGann.

Come to think of it, for Eccleston and Tennant they'll have to be 2-parters, won't they?

Old April 30 2013, 04:37 PM   #210
Redfern
Commodore

At least it'll be the right length, roughly 90 minutes without the commercials.

Sincerely,

Bill