Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 30 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
StCoop
Commodore

Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer

Well sort of new, since they went with Brian Minchin who's already worked on the series and TSJA,Torchwood & Wizards Vs Aliens.

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-whos...ucer-48522.htm

I was going to say that hiring a bloke should keep Moffat from getting *ahem* distracted but then I read the last line in the Press Release
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Doctor Who Finds "New" Executive Producer

Interesting choice - on the one hand it smacks of cliquey jobs for the boys, OTOH it means Moffat won't be having inappropriate relations, and on the gripping hand, it actually suggests to me that this could be the first step in a move to pushing Moffat out, since Minchin definitely has the experience to take over if needed, and would be a good producing partner should Toby Whithouse suddenly find himself with a time-and-space kind of job...

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that, based entirely on a cop-hunch developed from a lifetime of watching cop shows and reading detective/crime novels, that I'll be very surprised if Moffat's still in charge this time next year.

Neither elated nor disappointed, but very surprised.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com

Last edited by Lonemagpie; April 30 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Starkers
Admiral

Where do jobs for the boys end and experience begin? Because clearly he seems to have an impressive CV but just as clearly he seems to be someone TPTB know very well.

Moffat will have to go sometime, whether he jumps or is pushed. RTD knew when it was time to go and even if he is as arrogant and egotistical as people say I can't imagine Moffat wants to do Who forever.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
Moffat will have to go sometime, whether he jumps or is pushed. RTD knew when it was time to go and even if he is as arrogant and egotistical as people say I can't imagine Moffat wants to do Who forever.
Moffat says he's past his halfway point as Who's executive producer. But all that really means is that sometime before 2016 he'll move on.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Moffat says he's past his halfway point as Who's executive producer. But all that really means is that sometime before 2016 he'll move on.
So after one more series then!

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

His Doctor Who novel The Forgotten Army was poor (the only thing of his I really know him by), I hope he shows a better grasp for Who as an Executive producer.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Defcon wrote: View Post
His Doctor Who novel The Forgotten Army was poor (the only thing of his I really know him by), I hope he shows a better grasp for Who as an Executive producer.
On the other hand, he did produce the fourth and fifth series of The Sarah Jane Adventures (which included "Death of the Doctor"), which is a big point in favor of him. And he apparently produced the UK-based parts of Miracle Day, which were pretty good.
Old April 30 2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
So after one more series then!

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
You give them too much credit. Half a season

Followed by the introduction of the 15th doctor.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I wonder how doctor who will be once this newbie gets n. I d so hope he takes after RTD more than Moffat.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 10:05 PM   #10
diankra
Commodore

Remember, he's not a newbie. He was working on the show,as a script editor, during theRTD era.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I wonder how doctor who will be once this newbie gets n. I d so hope he takes after RTD more than Moffat.
He's replacing Skinner, not Moffat.
Old April 30 2013, 10:29 PM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Defcon wrote: View Post
To be honest, none of the NSAs have been particularly good since they switched over to Smith, which is a shame since during the Tennant years they were getting better and better. Although, if we're counting the "adult" novels as part of the NSA series, then The Silent Stars Go By was all kinds of awesome.
Old May 1 2013, 02:05 AM   #13
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I really liked the 11th Doctor novel "Dead of Winter." It's got some interesting twists to it and it really does a great job of nailing the 11th Doctor & Amy. Rory doesn't quite pop out as strongly at the beginning (but there's a reason for that) but once he gets going, we get some really interesting interior monologue stuff. It shows why Rory is one of the show's most relatable companions.
Old May 1 2013, 03:11 AM   #14
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Although, if we're counting the "adult" novels as part of the NSA series, then The Silent Stars Go By was all kinds of awesome.
I loved Jenny Colgan's Dark Horizons. The ending makes me all weepy, in a genuine way, not in the manipulative Moffat-y way.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Sound slike he's got the credentials for the job, and anyone who worked on the last few series of SJA is okay in my book. Toward the end that series had become just as good, sometimes better than Who.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote