Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 30 2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Deimos Anomaly
Rear Admiral

Why so few people come from the colonies...?

Pretty much every named character of any notability, in both TV trek and the movies, comes from the homeworld of their species.

Any human will come from Earth. Any Klingon will come from Qo'noS. Any Vulcan will come from Vulcan. Any Cardassian will come from Cardassia. And so on.

By the TNG-DS9 era in the late 24th century, humans have been a star-faring species for over 300 years.

Look at how fast North America was opened up with European settlement... By the time of TNG/DS9, the older human colony worlds, like Vega Colony, Alpha Centauri etc. should already boast human populations of hundreds of millions, if not billions. There should be humans out there who have never set foot on Earth, but all we ever get are people born and bred on Earth.

It's silly.
Old April 30 2013, 01:11 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Why so few people come from the colonies...?

Tasha Yar came from the Turkana IV colony. Both the original Enterprise and the Enterprise-D visited many Federation/Earth colonies and the people who lived there. For all we know, a few billion Humans live off-world by the 24th-Century (with Earth's population perhaps the same if not slightly smaller than it is today).

Worf was born on Qo'noS, but he and his family eventually relocated to Khitomer and made that Klingon colony their home. The Enterprise-C came to the rescue of Klingons at the Narendra III colony as well.
Old April 30 2013, 01:13 AM   #3
The Wormhole
Admiral

It's no more silly as every Starfleet officer being a graduate of Starfleet Academy. It's just one of those things, is all. In order to get the attention of the common viewer, recognizable names have to be used. Therefore Earth Vulcan, Qo'nos are used since they have more recognition factor among the audience than Alpha Centauri, P'Jem, or Mempa VI. The closest you get is a compromise like with Tuvok, born on the Vulcanis Lunar colony but raised on Vulcan.

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Worf was born on Qo'noS, but he and his family eventually relocated to Khitomer and made that Klingon colony their home.
Actually, Worf and his parents were visiting Khitomer at the time of the massacre and had left Kurn behind on Qo'nos. However, the Rozhenkos were living on the colony world Gault when the adopted Worf, though they eventually moved to Earth.
Old April 30 2013, 01:43 AM   #4
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Worf was born on Qo'noS, but he and his family eventually relocated to Khitomer and made that Klingon colony their home.
Actually, Worf and his parents were visiting Khitomer at the time of the massacre and had left Kurn behind on Qo'nos.
It was a bit more than a visit. Mogh went with his wife and Worf to Khitomer to find out who was conspiring with the Romulans. I think they spent about a year there.
Old April 30 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

Actually, Worf and his parents were visiting Khitomer at the time of the massacre and had left Kurn behind on Qo'nos.
It was a bit more than a visit. Mogh went with his wife and Worf to Khitomer to find out who was conspiring with the Romulans. I think they spent about a year there.
Still, the fact they left their other son on Qo'nos implied they intended to return.
Old April 30 2013, 02:02 AM   #6
Third Nacelle
Captain

Beverly Crusher was from Luna. Data was from the Omicron Theta colony. Ezri Dax was from New Sydney. Worf was raised on Gault. Neelix was from Rinax. Chakotay was from some colony in the DMZ. Seven of Nine was born on Tendara.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:02 AM   #7
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Still, the fact they left their other son on Qo'nos implied they intended to return.
But in the meantime, it was their residence.
Old April 30 2013, 02:13 AM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

To the OP.. I think most main characters are from the main homeworld simply because if you're a human from Alpha Centauri they think the audience is too stupid to realize they're not an alien.
Old April 30 2013, 03:17 AM   #9
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tuvok was born on a colony too.

By the time of TNG etc, for Humans the interstellar colonization process is only a couple of centuries old, so while tens of millions (even hundreds of millions) of Humans are "from the colonies," the average Humans is still from Earth.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

I thought the Cylons destroyed the colonies? hehehehehe

Ok, maybe that only made me laugh.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
To the OP.. I think most main characters are from the main homeworld simply because if you're a human from Alpha Centauri they think the audience is too stupid to realize they're not an alien.
They might be right. A lot of fans thought Zephram Cochrane was an Alpha Centaurian humanoid, even though McCoy states he is a human.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:35 AM   #12
Timo
Admiral

It could be a fairly clear-cut issue: in the terminally boring existence of the 24th century utopia, you get your kicks from going to the frontier - either to experience the hardships of colonization, or to seek death in Starfleet. You don't really have any motivation to do both.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 09:48 AM   #13
Melakon
Vice Admiral

^ I can imagine the recruiting pitches: "Ready to end it all? Become a security guard on a starship!"
Old April 30 2013, 09:59 AM   #14
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
They might be right. A lot of fans thought Zephram Cochrane was an Alpha Centaurian humanoid, even though McCoy states he is a human.
If we go with the idea that humans are a fairly common species throughout the Star Trek Universe and popped up eons ago on many worlds other than Earth, it does work. Terrans would specify humans from Earth (or of Earth ancestry), Alpha Centaurians would be humans who originated from Alpha Centauri, Ventaxians are humans who sprung up from Ventax II and so on.
Old April 30 2013, 01:25 PM   #15
QCzar
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to QCzar Send a message via Yahoo to QCzar

Also, the Earth-based colonization is not a great example since, even with the given of the US (which is a special case I think many would agree) the entire population of white Europeans living outside of Europe is still much smaller than Europe's as a whole (this is relative to Earth's population). This after they began colonizing outside of Europe almost 700 years ago, on one planet no less.
QCzar is offline   Reply With Quote