Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.11%
A 160 21.68%
A- 99 13.41%
B+ 82 11.11%
B 58 7.86%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.42%
C 38 5.15%
C- 24 3.25%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.74%
Voters: 738. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29 2013, 10:44 PM   #736
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

BillJ wrote: View Post
Captrek wrote: View Post
Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
This Side of Paradise: Stardate 3417.3
Amok Time: Stardate 3372.7
This Side of Paradise is actually a first-season episode while Amok Time is season two.

Just because one takes place before the other doesn't mean it isn't part of the character background. Remember, Spock had a relationship with Kalomi six years prior to the episode...

This Side of Paradise wrote:
ELIAS: You've known the Vulcanian?
LEILA: On Earth, six years ago.
ELIAS: Did you love him?
LEILA: If I did, it was important only to myself.
yeah, but I'm pretty sure they had a... uhh.. tryst planetside during the episode.

Either way, Spock wasn't really married! And even if he was so what since T'Pring was up to no good with Stonn.

I'd love to see T'Pring in this timeline though. That would be all kinds of awesome
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:54 PM   #737
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

indranee wrote: View Post

yeah, but I'm pretty sure they had a... uhh.. tryst planetside during the episode.
Yup. But the point I'm trying to make is that they seemingly also had a tryst six years earlier while on Earth. Which would line up timeline wise with Spock/Uhura in the Abramsverse. Which makes Spock an adulterer in both timelines. If we're holding Abramsverse Spock to that standard.
Old April 30 2013, 12:05 AM   #738
indranee
Vice Admiral

But do we know that Spock and T'Pring are betrothed in this timeline as well?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 12:20 AM   #739
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

indranee wrote: View Post
But do we know that Spock and T'Pring are betrothed in this timeline as well?
No.

Which is one of the things I posted originally when answering throwback's post about Spock being an adulterer.
Old April 30 2013, 02:05 AM   #740
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Captrek wrote: View Post
Two, was Spock an adulterer for having a relationship with Leila Kalomi from This Side of Paradise?
This Side of Paradise: Stardate 3417.3
Amok Time: Stardate 3372.7
This Side of Paradise is actually a first-season episode while Amok Time is season two.
I am aware of that. Nonetheless, AT has the earlier Stardate. TOS was an anthology series, so the order in which the episodes were produced or broadcast is not necessarily the order in which they occur in-universe. Stardates are a better guide for that, to the limited extent that it matters.

AT was probably backdated before TSOP for this very reason, so Spock would not be an adulterer. IMO, placing TSOP immediately after AT also has the benefit of making the Spock-Leila more poignant than it is without AT as background.

Just because one takes place before the other doesn't mean it isn't part of the character background. Remember, Spock had a relationship with Kalomi six years prior to the episode...

This Side of Paradise wrote:
ELIAS: You've known the Vulcanian?
LEILA: On Earth, six years ago.
ELIAS: Did you love him?
LEILA: If I did, it was important only to myself.
I don't see anything there suggesting a romantic or sexual relationship. They knew each other and she may have loved him, but he did not return any such feelings. Elias is not using "known" in the Biblical sense. I can easily imagine Chapel, after her tour on the Enterprise, having a conversation much like this: she loves Spock, but that is important only to her, not to him.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:58 AM   #741
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Evidently James Cawley spoiled the Khan thing on his Facebook timeline a little while ago and there's a big fan kerfluffle over it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 03:09 AM   #742
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Evidently James Cawley spoiled the Khan thing on his Facebook timeline a little while ago and there's a big fan kerfluffle over it.
Cawley was being pretty childish - sorta "I don't get the movie I wanted, so Imma spoil it for others." And when people protested being spoiled, he got peevish with several of them, ultimately ended up deleting that thread, and then tossed out a "That's it - screw Facebook" post in its place.

Old April 30 2013, 03:22 AM   #743
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, his page is still up so I don't suppose he's done with Facebook.

There's an old expression, "Hang around barbershops long enough and you're going to get a haircut." People who want to remain "unspoiled" about stuff like this are dumb to continue reading websites and pages where there's a lot of talk about the movie. Something will be posted that they don't want to know.
Old April 30 2013, 07:55 AM   #744
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Empire Review (4/5)

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
Plus it breaks the common conception of the odd numbered ones being lousy and the even ones being good!
'Cos "Nemesis" didn't?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 08:25 AM   #745
SeerSGB
Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Cawley was being pretty childish - sorta "I don't get the movie I wanted, so Imma spoil it for others." And when people protested being spoiled, he got peevish with several of them, ultimately ended up deleting that thread, and then tossed out a "That's it - screw Facebook" post in its place.

So that's what that shit storm (if you can call it that) is about? I had a couple people message me on FB asking if I had heard that Cawley had wigged out and told of Phase II fans and was done with Trek and that he was blasting the new movie to hell and back. I just shrugged it off...figured there was nothing to it.

Only thing that can move faster than Warp 10 is bullshit gossip through Trek fandom.

Well, his page is still up so I don't suppose he's done with Facebook.

There's an old expression, "Hang around barbershops long enough and you're going to get a haircut." People who want to remain "unspoiled" about stuff like this are dumb to continue reading websites and pages where there's a lot of talk about the movie. Something will be posted that they don't want to know.
I know someone that was straight up "Fuck this movie, fuck JJ Abrams, it's all trash!". Showed them the spoilers for the movie, a couple of the clips, and they're ready to get in line on opening day.
Old April 30 2013, 08:30 AM   #746
lurok
Commodore

JJ-T'Pring has to be Morena Baccarin. No substitutes accepted. That face, she's halfway there...

Old April 30 2013, 12:10 PM   #747
throwback
Captain

Though I don't like what JJ Abrams has done to Star Trek's characters and setting, I do accept that he has been successful in revitalizing this franchise. If I want to experience Star Trek - the Star Trek I knew and grew up with, it's available to me. I think Cawley's approach is extreme, and reflects poorly on him as a person.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:36 PM   #748
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

throwback wrote: View Post
I think Cawley's approach is extreme, and reflects poorly on him as a person.
I'm very disappointed in Mr Cawley's seemingly total and angry rejection of Bad Robot's most recent effort, especially after JJ Abrams made him a part of the 2009 movie, IIRC - and "New Voyages"/"Phase II" itself had come under some very unfair and scathing criticisms from sections of Star Trek fandom, especially in its fledgling years, from fans who seemed to be jealous of the effort "New Voyages" were putting into their fanfilms when Jim's team first started - and I defended their right, as Star Trek fans, to make the episodes they wanted to be in, and to star in them themselves, despite the fact that many of the actors were fans and not professionally-trained. Their recent efforts have been incredible!

As soon as I read Jim's first public rant on rumours/facts he'd heard about "Into Darkness", I stopped dropping into his sites as often, because it made me feel so uneasy. Surely there's room in Star Trek fandom for many interpretations: Jim's fanfilm episodes, the amateur series and one-offs being made by many other groups, fanfic and fan art, the licensed tie-in games, books and comics, and Bad Robot's new timeline stuff. We don't have to love it all, but neither should we be so dismissive of others putting their own stamp on a little corner of the franchise.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 02:44 PM   #749
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, James is entitled to his opinion regardless of any favors that Abrams may have done him. We don't buy people's approval.
Old April 30 2013, 03:31 PM   #750
ConRefit79
Captain

Is that what prompted this short video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1nvmDjofo
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote