Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 28 2013, 03:52 PM   #31
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: You know what I wish we saw in Star Trek 2009?

Melakon wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Again I must ask, what would the two of you want as director and writer for the two movies if it wasn't Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman?
Ideally? John Sturges and E. E. "Doc" Smith, but they're both long dead.
Holy shit, that far back?

If possible, I'd ask for Steven Spielberg, with Syd Mead doing the designs of the Enterprise, and I'd have San Francisco designed to look like Coruscant. But, that's just me.

I'd also have the women wear pants instead of skirts.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:24 PM   #32
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I'd have all the women beautiful and naked, but that's not going to happen either.
Old April 28 2013, 11:08 PM   #33
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

A series of clips showing the people around the world reacting to the news of Vulcan getting destroyed with a Guinan cameo somewhere in it delivering a one-liner.

Doesn't fit anywhere in the film, but it would have been awesome.

On the other hand, a reaction to the distress call would fit and would be more in Guinan's purview of being sensitive to any major disruptions in the timelines.
Old April 28 2013, 11:17 PM   #34
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ I don't think Guinan had been in and out of the nexus at that point, so no powers.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:59 AM   #35
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

But is the nexus where Guinan acquired that ability? Or is it natural to some members of her species?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:28 PM   #36
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

Picard attributed it to her species in Yesterday's Enterprise. I have no recollection about Generations apart from a disturbed guy named Sauron or something, what's a nexus?
Old April 29 2013, 11:49 PM   #37
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I always attributed Guinan's ability to her species too, but there's also the following...

It was unclear if Guinan's special abilities and perceptions in regard to time and her ability to perceive Q were completely the result of her lineage, or if they were an extra side effect of her experience with the Nexus. According to the novel The Buried Age, Guinan's abilities were due to the echo of her left within the Nexus. This concept originated in an unfilmed scene in the Generations screenplay.
Source

Not canon, but it was interesting enough to go by.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 04:17 AM   #38
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post
Sturges is quite a choice; he'd bring something, to be sure. But given the ADD times in which we live, they'd wind up having Baird or one of his acolytes overcut the thing and destroy the natural tempos of the director.
If you're going to insult us lowly plebs, at least be knowledgeable enough to know that it's no longer known as "ADD" but "ADHD-I." Hasn't been called that since 1994.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 04:50 AM   #39
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Sturges is quite a choice; he'd bring something, to be sure. But given the ADD times in which we live, they'd wind up having Baird or one of his acolytes overcut the thing and destroy the natural tempos of the director.
If you're going to insult us lowly plebs, at least be knowledgeable enough to know that it's no longer known as "ADD" but "ADHD-I." Hasn't been called that since 1994.
I don't think it was really meant as an insult aimed at anyone here or at anyone in particular—the pacing of the average movie of today does tend to be more brisk than was typical of the films of Sturges' time, after all— but I'm sure the interest in nomenclatural accuracy will not go unappreciated.
Old April 30 2013, 05:10 AM   #40
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

"ADHD-I."
Or as my father calls it "NPA" (not paying attention).

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 02:52 AM   #41
trevanian
Rear Admiral

I heard ADHD when I was diagnosed (but I wasn't paying that much attention), but not the -I.

Is that like the -R in TOS-R?

Also, I'm used to seeing the ADD ref because it has been used about 7 million times with respect to the editing on QUANTUM OF SOLACE.

EDIT ADDON: Y'know, just occurred to me. Maybe not hearing about the -I is because I've had to be back with Kaiser for the last decade? God knows, they certainly were behind the times in the late 80s/early 90s, when I kept falling asleep in early afternoon at work and was begging every doctor for a diabetes test ... they told me to buy 'How to get control of the time in your life.' (when I finally got Blue Cross, they instantly found I was pegged off the charts diabetic (for months the meter almost always read HI, which is what you get when your blood sugar is over 600.)

Last edited by trevanian; May 1 2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: supplemental
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2013, 03:22 PM   #42
anh165
Commander

The mind meld scene was fine as it was, it merely served to illustrate Old Spock's presence in the story, adding insignificant characters like La Forge into the scene does nothing for the story and only to appease those who look for references to old trek episodes.
anh165 is offline   Reply With Quote