Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 25 2013, 02:59 AM   #31
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: Should the Doctor get a Tricorder? Oh wait, he has one apparently

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
As I recall, RTD's rule with the sonic screwdriver was that it can do anything except solve the plot, and throughout his run that was pretty much adhered to. And so far, through out Moffat's run it's being adhered to as well. That is the entire episode isn't solved simply by the Doctor showing up waving the sonic around declaring "all done" and then a bombastic version of "I am the Doctor" plays.

Compare that with the tricorders. How many times do Star Trek episodes (particularly the TNG-Voyager period) get resolved simply by fiddling with a tricorder, spewing technobabble, and then all is good accompanied by a bland one note piece of music because Rick Berman hates music?
Hear hear! This forum really needs a 'like' or 'thanks' button
Old April 29 2013, 10:08 PM   #32
_C_
Commander

I would die laughing if the Doctor got into TNG and used the sonic to make Data do weird things. :P

That, and it might be funny if pointing it at Odo on DS9 makes Odo liquefy. Cue the Doctor going "Whoops...ah, sorry!"

I think it could disable handheld weapons like phasers, but not whole starship weapons systems. And I imagine it could seriously mess up/KO a Borg drone.

All kidding aside, I think the sonic screwdriver is a great tool. It doesn't work on wooden things. It's never solved the plot although it has led TO the solving of a show's plot. I personally think it's fine.
Old April 30 2013, 12:29 AM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Interestingly enough the doctor USED to have a tricorder like device.
Then I don't see the problem with the fact that he incorporated that device into his screwdriver. He's modified the device since the second Doctor used it, so expecting it to only have the same capabilities is unfair.
Old April 30 2013, 02:00 AM   #34
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Doctor is inherently the most dangerous man in the Universe. Monsters fear him--even some Daleks back up in fear when he appears before them. He's defeated entire armies and massive space fleets.

And he's done this armed only with a sonic screwdriver.

There's nothing wrong with how the sonic is used in the show, in fact, I think it's better used now than during the classic run as a fairly multipurpose tool. It's very plausible that its sonic waves act as sensor waves or radar. When the current version of the sonic is fully deployed (extended with the arms out), there may indeed be a small indicator in the exposed casing the Doctor can read that displays sensor data (the Doctor does often have to squint when he looks at it).
Old April 30 2013, 12:48 PM   #35
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

I like the idea that the inner green core is a display, but not a physical one.. Psychic readout. Much like psychic paper. Amy mentioned it was psychic... but this week we also saw the Doctor twisting the handle to change settings...
Old April 30 2013, 05:29 PM   #36
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
The Doctor is inherently the most dangerous man in the Universe. Monsters fear him--even some Daleks back up in fear when he appears before them. He's defeated entire armies and massive space fleets.

And he's done this armed only with a sonic screwdriver.
Yeah, the only thing that bothered me was when he used it as a raygun (essentially) in Day of the Moon.
Old April 30 2013, 05:57 PM   #37
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Yeah, the armed only with a screwdriver notion loses something when it's such an uber-device.

For me, the worse was when he was holding up the door with it in Rings a few episodes ago. It just put so much focus on it, I think it works best when it's something he can just wave and get a reading or shut something off. For tasks where he has to keep it running and running to do something or hold something off or nullifies a threat on its own that it wears out its welcome.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote