Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 21 2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: If TNG/DS9/VOY were never made, would you have watched TOS?

I watched TOS as a child in reruns in the 80s and absolutely loved it. That was before TNG came along. So, yes.
Old April 28 2013, 04:29 PM   #17
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I was only four months old when TNG premiered; six years old when DS9 premiered; and eight years old when VOY premiered. I have a vague memory of once dressing up as a Ferengi for Halloween, though no idea what age I would have been at the time. I can remember waking up early to watch DS9 and VGR; the local syndication airings were on Sunday mornings for a while.

In any event, I watched the TOS movies more than I watched any other Trek while I was young, even including DS9 and VGR (I wasn't very good at waking up on time for the shows, and I'm pretty sure the local channel airing them bounced the showtimes around). Later, the TOS movies led me back to watching TOS in syndication, and eventually that led me to watching TNG. I never saw most of DS9 until a couple years ago when I bought the DVDs, though I had seen most of TOS and TNG by that point.

Short answer: I think so, since it was mainly the TOS movies that led me backwards to TOS, rather than the various spin-off series. However, since I was watching those movies and some TNG, DS9, and VGR, it's difficult for me to separate it all with certainty.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
xvicente
Commander

On the contrary.

If (in a terrible alternate universe) there was no TOS, and yet somehow there was TNG, I probably wouldn't watch it.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:22 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

It's possible I wouldn't have. I was introduced to Trek through TNG, so who knows? I suppose, even without spin-off series Star Trek would eventually get a movie reboot, and maybe that would motivate me to check out TOS.

Of course, how divergent things are we? Even without spin-offs are TOS re-runs still being shown daily around the world? If so, then there's a good chance as a sci-fi nerd I'd still check out the famous TV show of the 60s.
Old April 29 2013, 07:00 PM   #20
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I'd have probably watched it out of curiosity for classic sci-fi and to see where the movies came from. BBC 2 went through a period in the mid 90s of showing classic sci-fi at 6pm week nights. As well as TOS Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who got an outing and so did UFO I think. Didn't watch that one though.

Been a proper fan? No, not at all.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

xvicente wrote: View Post
On the contrary.

If (in a terrible alternate universe) there was no TOS, and yet somehow there was TNG, I probably wouldn't watch it.
Good point. Would I have stuck with TNG during its rocky first season if I hadn't grown up on TOS? Who knows?
Old April 29 2013, 10:00 PM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

TOS itself just never won me over. Sure there's some great episodes in there, but there's also some facepalmingly bad ones. That coupled with the 60's setting that just rubbed me the wrong way, I never could enjoy it much.

To me the TOS movies were way more enjoyable than the series itself. I probably would've seen those at some point, but they might have not been enough to make me a "trekkie" by themselves.
Old April 29 2013, 11:44 PM   #23
Ryva Brall
Commander

I'm pretty sure I still would have watched TOS, even if the other series had never been made. I generally don't judge a TV show based solely on its age. I love M*A*S*H, and it ended two years before I was born. And I Love Lucy was decades before my time, and I find it hilarious.

Plus I kind of love cheesy sci-fi. It's one of the reasons why I'm such a huge Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan.
Old April 30 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
Melakon
Vice Admiral

TOS first aired when I was a teenager, so I never perceive what people call the cheesiness factor. But to put that in perspective, I'm usually able to watch the really really old stuff like Fritz Lang's original, black and white, silent film Metropolis, or Buster Crabbe's old Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serials and accept them as visions of the future in the context of their times. It's likely thanks to the efforts of early fan-historians like Forrest J. Ackerman that I can appreciate things before my time.
Old April 30 2013, 12:53 AM   #25
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Probably. I had already seen some episodes in late-night (midnight) syndication and essentially grew up in the TOS-film era. So I'm sure that, at some point, I would have gone back to watch the whole TOS run. I will say, though, that it was my love of TNG that ultimately motivated me to do it.
Old April 30 2013, 01:07 AM   #26
Ryva Brall
Commander

Melakon wrote: View Post
TOS first aired when I was a teenager, so I never perceive what people call the cheesiness factor. But to put that in perspective, I'm usually able to watch the really really old stuff like Fritz Lang's original, black and white, silent film Metropolis, or Buster Crabbe's old Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serials and accept them as visions of the future in the context of their times. It's likely thanks to the efforts of early fan-historians like Forrest J. Ackerman that I can appreciate things before my time.
I love Metropolis! It's one of my favorite silent films. It's a shame that so many people haven't seen it, simply because of its age. I also love A Trip to the Moon. It always cracks me up to see guys in top hats and tailcoats walking around on the moon. People sure had strange ideas about space travel in the 1900s.
Old April 30 2013, 01:20 AM   #27
horatio83
Commodore

I don't know, it's nice to see a movie whose architecture has influenced many other movies but it is kinda like reading the early work of an author, in and of itself not that great.
Lang's stuff is interesting because his work unconsciously reflects many trends: Metropolis is fascist propaganda, M is anti-fascist, the silent Mabuse neatly show this post WWI moral and ideological emptiness. If it were more self-aware it wouldn't work.
Old April 30 2013, 01:23 AM   #28
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I don't think Melies' A Trip to the Moon was ever intended to be taken seriously, as it's full of obvious sight gags. But it's important because Melies was one of the first to recognize how film could produce illusions impossible to perform on a stage.
Old April 30 2013, 01:33 AM   #29
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

I watched TOS in syndicated reruns before TNG even premiered.
Old April 30 2013, 01:34 AM   #30
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Melakon wrote: View Post
But to put that in perspective, I'm usually able to watch the really really old stuff like Fritz Lang's original, black and white, silent film Metropolis, or Buster Crabbe's old Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serials and accept them as visions of the future in the context of their times.
Well, Metropolis is a master piece and when I watched the newly restored 2010 version for the first time it suddenly struck me as quite relevant even after all those years and despite some of the simplicist story elements. (Then again, silent films were usually hampered in that way - there's a limit to the level of complexity one can practically convey without dialogue.)

That said, I don't think of TOS as cheesy, either.

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
I love Metropolis! It's one of my favorite silent films. It's a shame that so many people haven't seen it, simply because of its age. I also love A Trip to the Moon. It always cracks me up to see guys in top hats and tailcoats walking around on the moon. People sure had strange ideas about space travel in the 1900s.
Have you seen Woman in the Moon? It's a silent film by Lang about a trip to the moon. It 's an odd mix of being right on the money and outlandish ideas. Some rocket scientists were advisers for the movie, among them Hermann Oberth, who has a starship and a starship class named after him in the Trekverse.