A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 28 2013, 12:55 AM   #121
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Caroline Skinner Has Quit!

I'm excited about all of the possibilities. Unlike many here, I'm not pretending to "know" what will happen. But, it's fun thinking that there could be something truly surprising!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:04 AM   #122
diankra
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Adding an extra Doctor and upsetting the fanon theories about the Time War? Yeah, that would be fandom turmoil on the scale of "The Deadly Assassin."

And it would be awesome to watch.
Exactly. Except that it wouldn't be kicking over any 'canon', certainly not in the way that Bob Holmes would apply his 'personal canon ' (ie, "What I remember") and shake up the series as a result.
So, the Doctor has an incarnation that's been locked off from his memory, and Matt becomes the 12th Doctor. Or the 13th, counting the Stolen Earth regen, and the regen limit issue has to be addressed in the 50th anniversary special, maybe? All fun. If done well.

Last edited by diankra; April 28 2013 at 04:15 PM.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:43 PM   #123
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

And it would be awesome to watch.
On that, I absolutely agree.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 06:27 PM   #124
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus

It's probably unlikely Hurt will be the "real" Ninth Doctor purely for pragmatic reasons - it would instantly render all Ninth Doctor merchandise incorrectly labelled. In this case, even if Moffat wanted to do it, the Brand would prevent him from doing so.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:24 PM   #125
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Atticus wrote: View Post
It's probably unlikely Hurt will be the "real" Ninth Doctor purely for pragmatic reasons - it would instantly render all Ninth Doctor merchandise incorrectly labelled. In this case, even if Moffat wanted to do it, the Brand would prevent him from doing so.
Worldwide doesn't have that kind of veto power.

I agree it would cause merchandising problems, but I don't think they would be insurmountable, especially if BBC Worldwide gave guidance to their licensees so that they're all on the same page.

And I'm not sure how big a problem it would be. How much brand new tenth Doctor merchandise is on the market that says "Tenth Doctor" on the package?

I actually think it would be Doctor Who Magazine that would have the hardest time. They would either adjust or they would put their head in the sand like an ostrich. (Personally, I think the latter is most likely; DWM uses an entirely different series nomenclature from everyone else in the world.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:38 PM   #126
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Never read it - what do they use?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:42 PM   #127
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Currently, they use "the 2013 series" for what everyone else calls "Series 7B" or "Series 7 Part 2."

allyngibson.net
Old April 28 2013, 07:51 PM   #128
Avon
Fleet Captain

makes more sense

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:15 PM   #129
diankra
Commodore

The most amusing part of DWM's own take on things is the insistence, 20 years on and long after everyone else has decided to ignore them, on using the early story titles that David Howe insisted were right 'cos he'd found some paperwork that 'proved' it... hence 100,000BC (inaccurate and boring), The Daleks (a breach of the Howe rules under which it should be The Mutants, but as that would be confusing they can be ignored, which shows how pointless they are), and Inside the Spaceship (accurate, but incredibly boring).
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:22 PM   #130
StCoop
Commodore

Is there much of that anymore?

If I was Mr Character Options I'd be drooling at the thought of getting to repackage my old stock and resell it to obsessive collectors.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:25 AM   #131
The Wormhole
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Currently, they use "the 2013 series" for what everyone else calls "Series 7B" or "Series 7 Part 2."
To be honest, I've been thinking of the shows by the calendar year they air in. It really is easier that way, especially since Moffat took over.
Old April 29 2013, 10:50 PM   #132
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Is there much of that anymore?

If I was Mr Character Options I'd be drooling at the thought of getting to repackage my old stock and resell it to obsessive collectors.
They list the years though.
so 1st Doctor 1963-1966
8th Doctor 1996
9th Doctor 2013
10th Doctor 2005

Doesn't really work.

There's enough 10th Doctor and especially this year 11 Doctors merchandise this year.

Not to mention various flashback sequences - even if the Doctor forgot a life its the one we're sure the Daleks would know.

And the other thing is, even if it was to get at Chris, it would be a greater insult to Paul creating a new Time War Doctor.
Old April 29 2013, 10:59 PM   #133
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
And the other thing is, even if it was to get at Chris, it would be a greater insult to Paul creating a new Time War Doctor.
How is revealing that John Hurt fought the Time War an "insult to Paul [McGann]"?

I realize that many fans assume that McGann's Doctor fought the Time War, but that has only ever been an assumption. The television series itself is agnostic on the point.

allyngibson.net
Old April 29 2013, 11:34 PM   #134
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

I realize that many fans assume that McGann's Doctor fought the Time War, but that has only ever been an assumption. The television series itself is agnostic on the point.
Well exactly, there's nothing to prevent it being him.
Old April 30 2013, 01:54 AM   #135
The Wormhole
Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Well exactly, there's nothing to prevent it being him.
Well, no, there's nothing to prevent McGann from being the Time War Doctor, and indeed tie-in material such as IDW's The Forgotten comic series and BBC's TARDIS handbook say McGann was the Time War Doctor.

But if Moffat wants to say it was actually another Doctor, than that's not really insulting to McGann. Hell, RTD always said he intended the Time War to have been fought by the Ninth Doctor. If it's true that Hurt is the Time War Doctor and that his role was originally meant to be Eccleston, than it would mean that Moffat intended to follow through with that.

Why do I get the feeling this special is going to generate a lot of canon vs fanon debates?