New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 29 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
ConRefit79
Captain

What if the new Star Trek had been about Pike?

I'll admit, I don't care for the direction Star Trek has gone, under Abrams. But I wonder if given the choice, would current Star Trek fans have preferred this to be Pike's story and not a re-imagined Kirk story? We only get to see a worn Pike in the first pilot. Kind of like Kirk in TWOK. It would interesting to see Pike's early days commanding Enterprise.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What if the new Star Trek had been about Pike?

I'm not really a fan of Bruce Greenwood as Pike. I really wish they would have had him play a different character.
Old April 29 2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Franklin
Rear Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I'll admit, I don't care for the direction Star Trek has gone, under Abrams. But I wonder if given the choice, would current Star Trek fans have preferred this to be Pike's story and not a re-imagined Kirk story? We only get to see a worn Pike in the first pilot. Kind of like Kirk in TWOK. It would interesting to see Pike's early days commanding Enterprise.
Actually, I'd have liked to have seen Kirk's early days commanding the Enteprise, reimagined or not (which is what we're essentially getting).

If Abrams had decided to reboot Trek with Pike, Spock, Number One, Boyce, Tyler, Colt and that crew, I think folks would've raised holy hell. It would've been a WTF moment. Abrams made the logical choice (a bold and confident one, too), and has apparently made it work beyond anyone's wildest expectations.
Old April 29 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

While it may have been interesting to see some adventures with Pike and his crew, it would not have played well with a general audience. What you have to think about is the general audience in mind, who normally think of "Star Track" with "the pointy ears guy" and "Beam me up, Scotty".

The way Abrams and Co. went was the best possible direction, and the gamble worked.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

But I wonder if given the choice, would current Star Trek fans have preferred this to be Pike's story and not a re-imagined Kirk story?
No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:23 PM   #6
ConRefit79
Captain

General audiences go to see movies all the time with characters they don't know. I think the only reason to not create a new crew, is to gain support of the base. But I don't think the base would care either way. They'll either like it or not. Just like they like or don't like having Kirk and crew.
Old April 29 2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Mad Jack Wolfe
Lieutenant Commander

Pike is fine as a supporting character. Outside of that? Nope.
Old April 29 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Franklin
Rear Admiral

General audiences go to see movies all the time with characters they don't know. I think the only reason to not create a new crew, is to gain support of the base. But I don't think the base would care either way. They'll either like it or not. Just like they like or don't like having Kirk and crew.
Not to sound curt, but I'm part of the fan base, and I would've cared. A lot. Without Kirk and Spock, there would be no "Star Trek" fifty years later. No disrepect meant to any other flavor of Trek (many of which I like) but Kirk and Spock are "Star Trek", and if you're going to completely start over, why start anywhere else?
Old April 29 2013, 09:28 PM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

All it would have done is caused most people to ask "Why didn't they use Kirk?" or "Will the next movie feature Kirk?"
Old April 29 2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep. The idea of a new version of Kirk and Spock was exciting. Pike, or the fiftieth other spinoff crew? Not so much.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:41 PM   #11
ConRefit79
Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
Not to sound curt, but I'm part of the fan base, and I would've cared. A lot.
No problem. I agree without Kirk, Spock and McCoy, there would be no Star Trek. But there are many saying that many fans will go see the new movies at the theater, even if they don't care for the reboot. And unfortunately, I'm sure that is probably true.
Old April 29 2013, 10:00 PM   #12
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

It more than likely is, but you're talking about fans there. What must make sense in the making of a major motion picture is having more than fans go see it.

If it isn't worth the money to make it (and make a profit from it), it won't get made, or at the most be made as a fan film.

There is a huge difference between a TV series (where something like an early adventures of Pike may work) and a movie, where something like Star Trek has to be done as right and as profitable as possible, or it isn't going to happen.

If there is even the slightest hint that it won't make the money back, it won't get made.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 10:08 PM   #13
ConRefit79
Captain

Looks like the consensus is no.
Old April 29 2013, 10:59 PM   #14
The Keeper
Commodore

No. Pike's story, like April's is better told in the comics/novelverse. Star Trek is Kirk & Co.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 11:02 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Keeper wrote: View Post
No. Pike's story, like April's is better told in the comics/novelverse. Star Trek is Kirk & Co.
This.

A Pike movie would have a tough time topping Marvel Comics Star Trek: Early Voyages in my book.