Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old April 14 2013, 12:16 AM   #31
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Batman: Arkham 3

Maybe it's just me, but the more I hear, the more this sounds like a small scale side game rather than a full on AAA release. Kind of like that co-op Tomb Raider game from a few years back (which was OK for what it was), or that crap looking Ghostbusters game that nobody played.

If so then I'd suspect it'll be targeting mobile platforms primarily. Out of interest, is there any conformation that this is even set to be a console release?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2013, 12:32 AM   #32
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Infern0 wrote: View Post
Halo 4 was a great game without bungie, and Fallout New Vegas a great game without Bethesda.
Or, one could say rather, Fallout 3 was a great game without Black Isle. Nitpickmobile, away!!
Old April 14 2013, 12:39 AM   #33
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Maybe it's just me, but the more I hear, the more this sounds like a small scale side game rather than a full on AAA release. Kind of like that co-op Tomb Raider game from a few years back (which was OK for what it was), or that crap looking Ghostbusters game that nobody played.

If so then I'd suspect it'll be targeting mobile platforms primarily. Out of interest, is there any conformation that this is even set to be a console release?
Well the site for the game shows a picture of the various game cases for the PC, X-Box 360, PS3, WiiU, and releases of what I assume is the mobile game thing for the PSVita and 3DS. So looks like its a general release.

Also from the sounds of the game description you get to go through all of Gotham City this time.

Heres the link http://www.batmanarkhamorigins.com/
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:59 PM   #34
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
Saw a couple articles that indicated Rocksteady would assist if needed (idea-wise was implied) and that WB would be using the same engine. I'm in.
It's confirmed that WB Montreal is using the same assets as Arkham Asylum / City, so presumably the same engine (which is just a very heavily modded Unreal Engine 3), but any rumors that Rocksteady is assisting ... yeah, those are merely rumors. Rocksteady went into complete radio silence after Arkham City's release, so it's anybody's guess as to what in the world they're working on. It's a small studio, they don't really have the bandwidth to be switching employees between projects for "assistance."

I'm 90% certain that Rocksteady is working on a next gen platform Arkham title. This Batman is more than likely a placeholder to keep this franchise alive until the Rocksteady next gen title is ready to go.

If Arkham Origins is good, how would you all feel about the annualization of Arkham games? One year Rocksteady does one and the next year, WB Montreal does one?

The Vita version of this game might make or break my decision. I'm leaning towards 1st purchase right now just off the Rocksteady work before and the fact that they are using Rocksteady assets. The new console releases might influence when I buy it though... If the PS4 and Xbox 720 are out the next week, I may have to wait a month or 2.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 10:23 PM   #35
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

AlphaMan wrote: View Post
If Arkham Origins is good, how would you all feel about the annualization of Arkham games? One year Rocksteady does one and the next year, WB Montreal does one?
I think that's a terrible idea and would lead to franchise fatigue and a cycle of endless factory-churned mediocrity, not unlike Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc.

Rocksteady spent three years putting together Arkham Asylum, and it began work on Arkham City before Asylum even wrapped. Those games were great because they started with a reason to make the game, that being a good story and a good core design, as opposed to just hitting a bi-annual deadline. If you were to turn Rocksteady (and, assuming Origins is any good, WB Montreal) into Batman factories, you'd see an exodus of talent and the games devolve into crap.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:41 PM   #36
Jax
Admiral

I would like to see Rocksteady going into other DC heroes and potentially even making their own game verse for a Justic League game. I personally want to see a Green Arrow game for the next gen Rocksteady game as he similar enough to Batman in gameplay terms.
Old April 26 2013, 07:22 PM   #37
NightJim
Commander

View NightJim's Twitter Profile

I too would like to see Rocksteady branch out, but keep it street level though. One more Batman since so many stories were hinted at in City, then an Green Arrow game (who's got the added bonus of the show going for him right now), throw in Black Canary, who's about as far as I'd go in super powers range.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 09:05 PM   #38
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
I think that's a terrible idea and would lead to franchise fatigue and a cycle of endless factory-churned mediocrity, not unlike Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, etc.

Rocksteady spent three years putting together Arkham Asylum, and it began work on Arkham City before Asylum even wrapped. Those games were great because they started with a reason to make the game, that being a good story and a good core design, as opposed to just hitting a bi-annual deadline. If you were to turn Rocksteady (and, assuming Origins is any good, WB Montreal) into Batman factories, you'd see an exodus of talent and the games devolve into crap.
I agree on all counts, but I kind of think this is where they are headed now that another studio is on the franchise. If Arkham Origins is succesful, Rocksteady will do the regular Arkham series next year and WB Montreal will be out with Arkham Origins 2 the year after that.
Old April 29 2013, 03:16 PM   #39
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Rumor has it that there will be no Kevin Conroy for Origins.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/04/29...arkham-origins

I guess this makes sense , since its an origins story. I'm sure there's someone else out there who can nail Batman's voice... I just don't know who. Kevin Conroy is Batman to me.
Old May 2 2013, 11:13 PM   #40
Obiwansolo18
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rumor has it that there will be no Kevin Conroy for Origins.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/04/29...arkham-origins

I guess this makes sense , since its an origins story. I'm sure there's someone else out there who can nail Batman's voice... I just don't know who. Kevin Conroy is Batman to me.
Diedrich Bader, not the original Conroy voice but a good one that would work
Obiwansolo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:19 PM   #41
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

... and we have an official teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq9bKYfyM-o

This tells us next to nothing about the game play or graphics as it's obvious that this is cgi and not in engine footage.

does anyone know how to embed a yt link?

There was a very impressive write up about this game in last month's GameInformer. Did anyone see it? The digital version I saw on my iPad left me feeling a little better about WB Montreal. They actually built this studio to make this game.
Old May 16 2013, 10:21 PM   #42
RoJoHen
Awesome

Nice little teaser. Robot Ninjas are always fun.
Old May 17 2013, 12:01 AM   #43
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

does anyone know how to embed a yt link?

[ yt ]YT address[ /yt ] (without the spaces)
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2013, 02:36 AM   #44
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

I can't post attachments? I'd like to post some pics from Game Informer Digital, but I guess I can't. They really did a great write up on Batman Arkham Origins and WB Montreal. I've gone from high skepticism to cautious optimism about this game. If you can get your hands on it, I'd recommend it.

Last edited by AlphaMan; May 18 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old May 18 2013, 05:45 AM   #45
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

I can't post attachments? I'd like to post some pics from Game Informer Digital, but I guess I can't.
You can put images in posts by clicking the Insert Image button and providing the address of the image. However, the images you post have to be hosted on your own space (unless the website explicitly allows hotlinking). So you can either copy those images to your own webspace, an image hosting website (such as Photobucket or ImageShack), or in your TrekBBS album (click User CP, and under Networking click on "Pictures and Albums" to get started).
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote