Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 28 2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

Re: Intro to the next generation ideas....

I don't think I ever introduced anyone to Star Trek, but I did introduce someone to Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner, and the guy was just blown away by it.
Old April 29 2013, 03:31 AM   #17
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I love DS9 but have always though it might be harder than TNG since it's embedded in the TNG universe. But man two of you guys said you've done it. I'd love to hear more about it. It would be sweet to get my wife into DS9

I wonder if the fact she liked Firefly (which is clearly a sci-fi western) and DS9 (which is a sort of frontier western too) would dovetail...

You think doing "Emissary" would be ok? It's often considered the best pilot episode of the franchise. I personally would like to see it again after going to the BOBW theatrical event too.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:21 AM   #18
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Well Emissary was a non-starter... :-/

I like the idea of Data's Day

Heck all eps proposed in this thread are great ones
Old April 29 2013, 06:39 AM   #19
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
I love DS9 but have always though it might be harder than TNG since it's embedded in the TNG universe. But man two of you guys said you've done it. I'd love to hear more about it. It would be sweet to get my wife into DS9

I wonder if the fact she liked Firefly (which is clearly a sci-fi western) and DS9 (which is a sort of frontier western too) would dovetail...

You think doing "Emissary" would be ok? It's often considered the best pilot episode of the franchise. I personally would like to see it again after going to the BOBW theatrical event too.
You should ask this in the DS9 forum, else you're risking veering this thread onto a siding off-track from the original post and confusing the original question.

Or maybe it's confused me already, since you seem to be asking about DS9 but say she's already seen it.
Old April 29 2013, 02:01 PM   #20
Mojochi
Commodore

Yup, you pretty much can't go wrong with most of the season 3 & 4 episodes people have been mentioning. Those were the seasons that made the show wildly successful. Some later season's episodes I'd suggest that you could use are...

Season 5 Disaster. An exciting bottle episode, featuring the entire ensemble. Some comedy, some conflict. Something that would be really easy to watch. Perhaps Time's Arrow, from the same season. Another ensemble episode, with an engaging plot. The Next Phase. A rather innocuous episode, but with an interesting plot, and the characters really shine. Timescape is a good choice for that same reason
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 05:04 AM   #21
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Melakon wrote: View Post
Or maybe it's confused me already, since you seem to be asking about DS9 but say she's already seen it.
Look at the timestamps between my two posts... I literally put Season 1 Disc 1 in the DVD player and we sat down and watched it between those two posts I made.

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Season 5 Disaster. An exciting bottle episode, featuring the entire ensemble. Some comedy, some conflict. Something that would be really easy to watch. Perhaps Time's Arrow, from the same season. Another ensemble episode, with an engaging plot. The Next Phase. A rather innocuous episode, but with an interesting plot, and the characters really shine. Timescape is a good choice for that same reason
Good stuff Mojochi, I've always really liked Timescape.

I wish the OP would chime in and let us know what happened/what he thinks.
Old April 30 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
DJ Mike
Ensign

Curiously my girlfriend (who has no interest in sci-fi particularly or technology) really got into Star Trek very quickly. Think I happened to be watching early Season 2 and she enjoyed it so we ended up watching the whole run. Then the whole of DS9. Then the whole of Battlestar Galactica remake. She enjoys shows that are character driven which ST has in barrel loads so not hard to see why she enjoys it. The sci-fi/alien edge just makes it more interesting.
DJ Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 12:53 PM   #23
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I have related this story a few times on this board but here goes...

My girlfriend (now my wife) expressed an interest in watching with me. I thought really hard about the best episode and showed her Tapestry. She was unimpressed - no investment in the characters you see. Then I was watching Justice on a re-run, widely regarded as one of TNG's worse, she loved it; its campness, the naked guys and Picards great end-of-episode-monologue. She was hooked in.

Just goes to show that it will happen when/if they want it to happen. Don't over-analyse.
Old May 2 2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Mr_Homn
Captain

Data's day is the best answer for a girlfriend. Girls love data. Especially episodes where he is portrayed as overly innocent or "cute"
Old May 3 2013, 12:24 AM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
Data's day is the best answer for a girlfriend. Girls love data. Especially episodes where he is portrayed as overly innocent or "cute"
Must test this theory sometime.... ooh In Theory.. another good episode.