Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 27 2013, 11:55 PM   #466
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Aldo wrote: View Post
Just finished the first Doctor's story "Daleks."

It was neat seeing the Daleks for the first time, and I really do enjoy the first Doctor so far. However the story went on far too long, seven episodes seemed a bit excessive and it could have been compacted a bit more. I'm still bothered by the fact that The Doctor doesn't really feel like the central character yet. I understand that's not the shows fault since only two stories in they're still trying to find the rhythm of the show, it's just hard for me to get behind being exposed to the Doctor Who style of storytelling nowadays.
The first doctor is often missing as Hartnell's health deteriorated.

Sometimes he won't be in an episode at all.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:09 AM   #467
diankra
Commodore

It was neat seeing the Daleks for the first time, and I really do enjoy the first Doctor so far. However the story went on far too long, seven episodes seemed a bit excessive and it could have been compacted a bit more.
The outline was for a six parter (and that included roughly half an episode's worth of story continuing the plot beyond the end of the transmitted version). Quite why it got expanded isn't clear, but was probably down to a) Budget - it needed seven episodes's worth of money to make it, and b) Cut-offs... it had to be a seven parter so that with the next two parter there'd be neat ending if the series ended at 13 weeks.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:40 PM   #468
Konata Izumi
Commander

The Green Death

The pacing's disastrous. Not sure about all of the story as I zoned out in many parts. The first three episodes watched ages ago and they had great effect bits but mostly very dull. Ep4 was better with what felt like very naturalistic dialogue and character interaction, vaguely interesting if literally forgettable. Eps5-6 just now, a riot with a particularly fun version of a talking computer and lots of unintentional comedy. Why save the butterfly for the last episode and even then only one?
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:14 AM   #469
VDCNI
Captain

Pindar wrote: View Post

It was neat seeing the Daleks for the first time, and I really do enjoy the first Doctor so far. However the story went on far too long, seven episodes seemed a bit excessive and it could have been compacted a bit more. I'm still bothered by the fact that The Doctor doesn't really feel like the central character yet. I understand that's not the shows fault since only two stories in they're still trying to find the rhythm of the show, it's just hard for me to get behind being exposed to the Doctor Who style of storytelling nowadays.

Some of that is holiday not illness though. The illness doesn't really become a major issue until Season 3.
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:08 PM   #470
Pindar
Rear Admiral

VDCNI wrote: View Post

Some of that is holiday not illness though. The illness doesn't really become a major issue until Season 3.
True, what a bizarre system they used to have, very civilised though.

I'll just pop off halfway through filming a for a week in Spain.
Old April 29 2013, 05:02 PM   #471
diankra
Commodore

Well, the first season was a solid 52 week shoot, one episode a week, every week (apart from Easter and Christmas - so that made it 55 weeks with three weeks off. But actually 57 weeks, due to the two reshoots of abandoned episodes. Long time to go without a break).

Edit: pulled the reference book from the shelf, and the 1st season recording dates are:
An Unearthly Child take one: 27th September 1963.
An Unearthly Child take two through to Daleks part 5 (including two recordings of The Dead Planet): 18th October to 20th December 63.
3rd January to 23rd October 64: The Daleks pt6 through to Dalek Invasion of Earth part 6, no weeks off at all - not even for Easter! Then there was a luxurious five week gap before production restarted with The Rescue in December 64...
Old April 29 2013, 10:13 PM   #472
Pindar
Rear Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post

Well, the first season was a solid 52 week shoot, one episode a week, every week (apart from Easter and Christmas - so that made it 55 weeks with three weeks off. But actually 57 weeks, due to the two reshoots of abandoned episodes. Long time to go without a break).

Edit: pulled the reference book from the shelf, and the 1st season recording dates are:
An Unearthly Child take one: 27th September 1963.
An Unearthly Child take two through to Daleks part 5 (including two recordings of The Dead Planet): 18th October to 20th December 63.
3rd January to 23rd October 64: The Daleks pt6 through to Dalek Invasion of Earth part 6, no weeks off at all - not even for Easter! Then there was a luxurious five week gap before production restarted with The Rescue in December 64...
That's grim, they certainly earned their money.
Old May 1 2013, 02:36 AM   #473
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

There are multiple stories featuring the absence of some character or another. The Doctor is rather blatantly not in a couple episodes of "The Keys of Marinus" at all (despite the fact that he still gets top billing in them). Susan is missing from the middle episodes of "The Aztecs." Barbara took a couple episodes off in "The Sensorites." And William Russell took a 2 week vacation during "The Reign of Terror" but still appears in all the episodes thanks to some pre-filmed scenes of him in the prison.

The principle doesn't just extend to the William Hartnell years either. The regulars would often take a week or two off during production in the Patrick Troughton years as well. (Although, IIRC, the only surviving Troughton episode to not feature the Doctor is in "The Seeds of Death," and even then we still get to see Jamie & Zoe tending to an unconscious Doctor played by a stand-in.)

As for the Doctor not yet seeming like the lead on his own show, you kinda have to wait until the Patrick Troughton years for that. Seasons 1 & 2 were very much the Ian & Barbara show. And while the Doctor would become somewhat more assertive in Season 3, they still counted on Steven or Ben to carry much of the show.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I watched The Time Monster. New Who has got to bring back TOMTIT, what a riot, that had to sound funny even at the time of release. The TARDIS inside the TARDIS inside the TARDIS was a lot of fun, the Master is just such a hammy villain. How OTT is it to launch a V2 at UNIT? Looking online, it seems this one is pretty hated but despite its flaws I thought it was entertaining.

They really didn't know what to make of "women's lib" back then, did they? So embarrassing, I wanted to shoot that wet drip lab assistant guy. Too bad one of the Doctor's stronger companions, Liz, didn't last longer even if that era airhead Katy Manning is cute as a button.
I think "The Time Monster" was a tragic missed opportunity to bring back Liz Shaw. She could have been the Master's unwitting assistant at the university. After all, she wouldn't know who the Master was because he didn't appear until the 1st story after she left.

The two combined made me wonder if any companion was more perved over by the villains than Peri.
By the villains? No. By the fans? Take your pick. Although, it has been noted that pretty much anyone who ever flirted with Barbara would turn out to be a bad guy. But they still kept a respectful distance. Peri would get pawed and drooled over all the time. Even Shockeye's interest in her seemed pretty salacious, and he just wanted to cook her, not fuck her!

I've watched a lot of new stories since I last checked in on this thread. Of the new ones I've watched, the two that most stand out for me are "The Keys of Marinus" & "The Reign of Terror." They're both decent early Hartnell outings but nothing spectacular. Susan is rediculously useless here and screams more than I ever remember any other companion screaming before. And that's when she's not suddenly falling prey to some dreaded mystery illness she picked up in the French prison. And I can't say enough about how much I hate the animation in "The Reign of Terror," but I think I'll do a separate thread to rant about that.
Old May 1 2013, 03:53 AM   #474
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Pyramids Of Mars
Old May 3 2013, 07:53 PM   #475
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Trial of a Time Lord: The Mysterious Planet and Mindwarp (Sixth Doctor).

While not Robert Holmes' best, I know he was ill while writing it and died soon after, I enjoyed The Mysterious Planet. It's actually kind of interesting, I saw a lot of The Krotons, Holmes first serial, in this one. A robot which controls a human society to provide for its needs, the robot singling out two of the humans for special tasks.

While Mindwarp was well written, I think Philip Martin's last serial, Vengeance on Varos, was probably better. Sil works better as an antagonist then a sniveling flunkie. Peri's death however was excellent. She didn't die saving the day, she just died and I applaud the writer and producer for making that decision.

Yes, I know they copped out in the end which is too bad. Having Peri marry Yrcanos seems completely out of place. I know they tried to build up some sort of relationship between them, but it wasn't that well developed.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 12:05 AM   #476
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Just started doing a re-watch, right from the beginning (of my DVD collection).

Since I have "The Beginnings" boxset, that's right at the start. Watched An Unearthly Child yesterday but skipped the three cavemen episodes and went to the seven-part Daleks story. Half way through that now.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 12:54 AM   #477
diankra
Commodore

Josan wrote: View Post
Just started doing a re-watch, right from the beginning (of my DVD collection).

Since I have "The Beginnings" boxset, that's right at the start. Watched An Unearthly Child yesterday but skipped the three cavemen episodes and went to the seven-part Daleks story. Half way through that now.
Oh don't do that! Yes, a few countries got it like that in the mid-1960s, but that three parter is a good solid story in its own right (the contrast between Za's superstitious reaction to the TARDIS crew "They are from god, or are demons", and Kal's rational one "They are from a more advanced tribe over the mountains, and we need to know what they know" is a bit of a philosophical mainstay for the series as a whole). And it's important in the character development of the regular cast... even referred back to in the big arguments in the third story!
Seriously... the dawn of time episodes are worth seeing... they're an odd halfway house between the early SF stories, and the historicals, as they're a bit of both. It's not three wasted episodes (that's The Keys of Marinus... for six episodes). Personally I'd put them about 3rd or 4th of the seven first season stories that still exist in some form on video. So watch them yourself and see what you think.
Old May 4 2013, 01:25 AM   #478
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

I did say "re-watch".

I own the DVDs after all, I've seen them a few times. I just have to be in a certain mood to watch the caveman episodes.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 05:06 AM   #479
Aldo
Admiral

I still have one more First Doctor serial to finish (The Edge of Destruction), before I finish up my "Beginnings" set. After that I have three options (probably a lot more, but I limited it to three). I'll either pick up "The Three Doctors," "The Twin Dilemma" or continue on with my Seven watching with "The Happiness Patrol"

I'm actually leaning towards "The Twin Dilemma," just because my only exposure to Six as of right now is seeing him for the second or two he popped up after Five regenerated into him. I know he has a bit of a reputation, but I want to give him a shot before forming my own opinion of him.
Old May 4 2013, 03:35 PM   #480
diankra
Commodore

I still have one more First Doctor serial to finish (The Edge of Destruction), before I finish up my "Beginnings" set. After that I have three options (probably a lot more, but I limited it to three). I'll either pick up "The Three Doctors," "The Twin Dilemma" or continue on with my Seven watching with "The Happiness Patrol"

I'm actually leaning towards "The Twin Dilemma," just because my only exposure to Six as of right now is seeing him for the second or two he popped up after Five regenerated into him. I know he has a bit of a reputation, but I want to give him a shot before forming my own opinion of him.
Some will disagree, but I'd say the majority opinion would be that Twin Dilemma does not show the sixth Doctor at his best, so it might actually put you off him unfairly.