RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,915
Posts: 5,478,182
Members: 25,053
Currently online: 496
Newest member: johnclever25

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 29 2013, 02:45 AM   #61
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: House by the Lake, NC
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

^ Awesome!!
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:29 AM   #62
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

teacake wrote: View Post
Hacky?! By that I assume you mean, written by hacks. Hacks like the great Theodore Sturgeon, Larry Niven, Robert Bloch, Harlan Ellison, Norman Spinrad..
Minor correction: the nitpicker in me is obliged to point out that Niven only wrote for the Animated Series, not TOS.

Perhaps you meant Richard Matheson?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:58 AM   #63
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Sometimes I like to think the film Forbidden Planet is the original Star Trek.
You mean it wasn't?




And a big for you, nice work.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:20 AM   #64
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Thanks, that one and this one are my favorites.



I gotta be a true fan to have done that one!!!!
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 06:30 AM   #65
Melakon
Vice Admiral
 
Melakon's Avatar
 
Location: Unmarked grave, Ekos
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

That must have taken days.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black (1934)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:43 AM   #66
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson Dune sequels...are just weird cash-ins...
Fixed.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:22 PM   #67
bbailey861
Admiral
 
bbailey861's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, ON
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Thanks, that one and this one are my favorites.



I gotta be a true fan to have done that one!!!!
Very cool - and a pleasure to stare at!!
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:12 PM   #68
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Dream wrote: View Post
This argument got old in 1987 when TNG arrived.
But have it reached a conclusion?
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:45 PM   #69
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Don't be silly. TOS is near and dear to my heart, and the Trek I grew up on, but even I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assert that it's the only "true" Trek. The latter series and movies have all contributed to the vast edifice that is Star Trek.

At this point, I kinda want to vaporize the words "true" and "real" from all discussions of Trek, as they're usually just employed as clubs by people who feel their view of what Star Trek "should" be trumps any other approach.
Sorry, but Greg Bear is the only true Greg, so your contributions cannot be relied upon.
I used to joke about putting together an anthology titled THE ULTIMATE GREG, which would feature contributions by Greg Bear, Greg Benford, Greg Egan, Greg Costikyan, Gregory Frost, and John Gregory Betancourt.

I'd edit it and write the jacket copy, of course!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:51 PM   #70
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Greg Bear, Greg Benford, Greg Egan, Greg Costikyan, Gregory Frost, and John Gregory Betancourt
...and Dumpo the Wonder Pigeon, in James T. Kirk Wears A Party Hat To The Federation Council!

(sorry, just channeling Art Fern there)
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:08 PM   #71
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

^^^ It seems to me there is joke somewhere in there, but I can't imagine what it is.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:05 PM   #72
Galileo7
Fleet Captain
 
Galileo7's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.A.
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

BillJ wrote: View Post
Trek is Trek is Trek is Trek...
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:37 PM   #73
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Greg Bear, Greg Benford, Greg Egan, Greg Costikyan, Gregory Frost, and John Gregory Betancourt
...and Dumpo the Wonder Pigeon, in James T. Kirk Wears A Party Hat To The Federation Council!

(sorry, just channeling Art Fern there)
xvicente wrote: View Post
^^^ It seems to me there is joke somewhere in there, but I can't imagine what it is.
Art Fern is a character that Johnny Carson used to play during sketches on The Tonight Show. Basically a used-car-salesman type who had a bad hairpiece and loud red jacket and was very hyper and almost manic. Every so often he'd stop what he was saying and go "Now back to our feature film...Woody Harrelson, Woody Allen, Woody Woodpecker, Woody Herman, Herman Munster, and Yutz the Dancing Buffalo, in Heidi Suffers an Estrogen Avalanche" or something like that.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:08 PM   #74
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Don't be silly. TOS is near and dear to my heart, and the Trek I grew up on, but even I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to assert that it's the only "true" Trek. The latter series and movies have all contributed to the vast edifice that is Star Trek.

At this point, I kinda want to vaporize the words "true" and "real" from all discussions of Trek, as they're usually just employed as clubs by people who feel their view of what Star Trek "should" be trumps any other approach.
Sorry, but Greg Bear is the only true Greg, so your contributions cannot be relied upon.
I used to joke about putting together an anthology titled THE ULTIMATE GREG, which would feature contributions by Greg Bear, Greg Benford, Greg Egan, Greg Costikyan, Gregory Frost, and John Gregory Betancourt.

I'd edit it and write the jacket copy, of course!
actually, I think I'd read that, but most of the authors' work I like are novels, not short stories.
__________________
"why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 09:40 PM   #75
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Greg Bear, Greg Benford, Greg Egan, Greg Costikyan, Gregory Frost, and John Gregory Betancourt
...and Dumpo the Wonder Pigeon, in James T. Kirk Wears A Party Hat To The Federation Council!

(sorry, just channeling Art Fern there)
xvicente wrote: View Post
^^^ It seems to me there is joke somewhere in there, but I can't imagine what it is.
Art Fern is a character that Johnny Carson used to play during sketches on The Tonight Show. Basically a used-car-salesman type who had a bad hairpiece and loud red jacket and was very hyper and almost manic. Every so often he'd stop what he was saying and go "Now back to our feature film...Woody Harrelson, Woody Allen, Woody Woodpecker, Woody Herman, Herman Munster, and Yutz the Dancing Buffalo, in Heidi Suffers an Estrogen Avalanche" or something like that.
I see. Thanks!
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ds9, ent, tng, tos, voy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.