RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,234
Posts: 5,438,613
Members: 24,957
Currently online: 526
Newest member: zanejc

TrekToday headlines

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 28 2013, 11:41 PM   #406
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.

Wasn't a major part of the movie plot was that is was the prime universe with no change until the space/time disturbance that brought Nero's ship into the past. I am sure the Gorn were doing there thing in the Alpha Quadrant somewhere near Cestus III just as they were before.

Of course the design and look were completely off except for the Gorn Champion. One of the major themes of the Kirk/Gorn fight in Arena was that even though the Gorn was ludicrously strong and durable, he wasn't agile and was slow allowing Kirk to stay on the run.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:47 PM   #407
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

ATimson wrote: View Post
mattman8907 wrote: View Post
regarding continuity both the countdown comic and this game ends with them heading to Nibiru yet the are both considered canon so is it possible that one happened before the other?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 12:55 AM   #408
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral
 
Herkimer Jitty's Avatar
 
Location: Dayglow, New California Republic
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.
It does now.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1965½, 1966-1969, Jan. 21-23 1972, 1979-2001, 2003-2005, 2009-?
Herkimer Jitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:21 AM   #409
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.
It does now.

Too bad, not surprising the game is being reviewed the way it is. I think fans would have accepted the lackluster graphics and clunky/buggy gameplay if they had at least gotten the Trek part of the game right.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:48 AM   #410
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
I think fans would have accepted the lackluster graphics and clunky/buggy gameplay if they had at least gotten the Trek part of the game right.
I think that the game is more interested in appealing to the mass market - just like the movies are - in which case, getting the graphics and gameplay up to modern standards is arguably more important than continuity with "Arena" (even if it couldn't be worked around)...
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:32 AM   #411
General_Phoenix
Commander
 
General_Phoenix's Avatar
 
Location: Bespin
Send a message via ICQ to General_Phoenix Send a message via AIM to General_Phoenix Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to General_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to General_Phoenix
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.

Wasn't a major part of the movie plot was that is was the prime universe with no change until the space/time disturbance that brought Nero's ship into the past. I am sure the Gorn were doing there thing in the Alpha Quadrant somewhere near Cestus III just as they were before.

Of course the design and look were completely off except for the Gorn Champion. One of the major themes of the Kirk/Gorn fight in Arena was that even though the Gorn was ludicrously strong and durable, he wasn't agile and was slow allowing Kirk to stay on the run.

But aren't video games ranked last in terms of canon? That's how it's always been in the Star Wars canon, not sure how things rank in Star Trek canon.
__________________
Atomic batteries to power, turbines to speed.
General_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 05:39 AM   #412
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

ATimson wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
I think fans would have accepted the lackluster graphics and clunky/buggy gameplay if they had at least gotten the Trek part of the game right.
I think that the game is more interested in appealing to the mass market - just like the movies are - in which case, getting the graphics and gameplay up to modern standards is arguably more important than continuity with "Arena" (even if it couldn't be worked around)...
Like i said, it's a Mirror Universe.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:19 PM   #413
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

General_Phoenix wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
They did such a horrible job with the Gorn and their canonical history, I hope they eventually cut loose the concept that this canon.

The hole Spock/Nero time paradox doesn't suddenly make a race that was established as part of our galaxy, shunted off to another and whose motivations at Cestus III were because of a certain territorial xenophobia into a species bent on galactic conquest.

Wasn't a major part of the movie plot was that is was the prime universe with no change until the space/time disturbance that brought Nero's ship into the past. I am sure the Gorn were doing there thing in the Alpha Quadrant somewhere near Cestus III just as they were before.

Of course the design and look were completely off except for the Gorn Champion. One of the major themes of the Kirk/Gorn fight in Arena was that even though the Gorn was ludicrously strong and durable, he wasn't agile and was slow allowing Kirk to stay on the run.

But aren't video games ranked last in terms of canon? That's how it's always been in the Star Wars canon, not sure how things rank in Star Trek canon.
The producers of the game have been saying in numerous interviews the game is canon just like the movies.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:22 PM   #414
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

Lt. Cheka Wey wrote: View Post
ATimson wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
I think fans would have accepted the lackluster graphics and clunky/buggy gameplay if they had at least gotten the Trek part of the game right.
I think that the game is more interested in appealing to the mass market - just like the movies are - in which case, getting the graphics and gameplay up to modern standards is arguably more important than continuity with "Arena" (even if it couldn't be worked around)...
Like i said, it's a Mirror Universe.

More like a different universe and their is no real mirroring, since these "Gorn" aren't even part of the Milky Way Galaxy.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 03:03 PM   #415
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post

More like a different universe and their is no real mirroring, since these "Gorn" aren't even part of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Like I said in another thread, there's nothing in this game that can't be worked around.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:38 PM   #416
Lt. Cheka Wey
Commander
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

i just found out that my computer almost can handle the game. Too bad i cannot play it.
Lt. Cheka Wey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:45 PM   #417
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

BillJ wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post

More like a different universe and their is no real mirroring, since these "Gorn" aren't even part of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Like I said in another thread, there's nothing in this game that can't be worked around.

Why should you have to jump through mental hoops to work around poor writing or creating? Certainly 60 dollars was to much for the effort.

One of the signs of great fantasy or fiction, especially in a uniquely created setting, lets use Middle Earth, is that their is great continuity and consistency. It allows and enhances immersion and suspension of belief. Isn't great fiction, especially fantasy/sci-fi suppose to get you to suspend reality so for the reading or movie you can fully immerse yourself in the experience? When a creator ventures into an already established world and deals with an established element, is it to much to ask for consistency so the buy in is easy?

It would have been better if these creatures were some newly encountered species. You shouldn't have to be reading or playing something and have to think, "these are Gorn?" It hurts the experience and I know that I am not the only one to experience it. There have certainly been enough bad critic reviews about many aspects of the game and many of them focus on these criticisms of the Gorn.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 07:52 PM   #418
John Clark
Commodore
 
John Clark's Avatar
 
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

It just arrived today for me so I've given the first level a go (on single player)

I have enjoyed it so far but it could have been better.
__________________
If there's a justification for my actions right now, it's this: I have gone completely mad
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:10 PM   #419
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post

More like a different universe and their is no real mirroring, since these "Gorn" aren't even part of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Like I said in another thread, there's nothing in this game that can't be worked around.

Why should you have to jump through mental hoops to work around .....
Please tell me just why the hell I am supposed to care about this stuff instead of whether the game was entertaining or not.

Seriously there are other MORE IMPORTANT things to nitpick about the game then whether or not it should cater to the same tiny minority that hates the JJverse anyway.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:54 PM   #420
F. King Daniel
Admiral
 
F. King Daniel's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Official New Star Trek 2012 Game for the PC, PS3 & X360

HOoftheKinshaya wrote: View Post
One of the signs of great fantasy or fiction, especially in a uniquely created setting, lets use Middle Earth, is that their is great continuity and consistency. It allows and enhances immersion and suspension of belief. Isn't great fiction, especially fantasy/sci-fi suppose to get you to suspend reality so for the reading or movie you can fully immerse yourself in the experience? When a creator ventures into an already established world and deals with an established element, is it to much to ask for consistency so the buy in is easy?
What about the enjoyment from seeing different interpretations of a fictional universe? Is Man of Steel going to be lesser because it ignores the old Superman movies, or the Smallville TV series? What about Sherlock, Elementry and the recent Sherlock Holmes movies? They're all "what if" versions of the originals and all in their own continuities. Yes, the movie writers claimed Star Trek is a branching timeline beginning in 2233 and the game writers just decided to treat it as a full-on reboot and it's kind of sucky that they can't seem to really make their minds up either way, but IMO even when it fails as another timeline in the Trek multiverse (which is still how I prefer to see it), it still works as a fun standalone reboot of The Original Series.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
F. King Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.