Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 28 2013, 08:01 PM   #556
J. Lester
Fleet Captain

View J. Lester's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to J. Lester Send a message via AIM to J. Lester Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Lester Send a message via Yahoo to J. Lester
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Not all of us have a Target or Best Buy in the neighborhood, and my Amazon order says "shipping soon." I guess I will have to pay the higher price.

Update: Order just shipped for 77.99 (Amazon Prime member, so no shipping charges).

Last edited by J. Lester; April 28 2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add info
J. Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:25 PM   #557
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Has anyone else noticed on that Target ad under The Best of Both Worlds it says 'DVD'? Though it does say Blu-ray when you hover your mouse pointer over it.
It has been mentioned on other forums. It's a typo since BOBW is not getting a DVD release anywhere else. There is no reason for CBS to release a DVD version anyway, which would only cut into the BD sales.
Old April 29 2013, 12:02 AM   #558
Dream
Admiral

For those getting S3 at Best Buy, make sure you at least get a price match with Target's ad and save $10.

Best Buy's VAM bonus feature is a download not on the BD disc. Also make sure the set has the sticker or you don't get the VAM.

"Fans who buy the set from Best Buy will not find the documentary on the Blu-ray itself, but rather as an online streaming/downloadable video accessible through Best Buy's Cinema Now content service. Sets have a unique access code which is then entered into the website so you can view the video."
Old April 29 2013, 12:47 AM   #559
Aatrek
Rear Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
There is a very nice CGI shot in Booby Trap, the best yet. I wonder if anyone can spot it?
I think you're talking about the flashes from the welding work on the under-construction Enterprise on the holodeck? That's very nice, and very subtle!
Aatrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:14 AM   #560
mswood
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
For those getting S3 at Best Buy, make sure you at least get a price match with Target's ad and save $10.

Best Buy's VAM bonus feature is a download not on the BD disc. Also make sure the set has the sticker or you don't get the VAM.

"Fans who buy the set from Best Buy will not find the documentary on the Blu-ray itself, but rather as an online streaming/downloadable video accessible through Best Buy's Cinema Now content service. Sets have a unique access code which is then entered into the website so you can view the video."
If it was a separate disc release by Best Buy I would probably go for it. But since its just an online release, and I have no idea how long available or if you can then permanently download it to your home, I will skip it.

At the Target price screw my health, I am getting it Tuesday.
Old April 29 2013, 01:16 AM   #561
mswood
Rear Admiral

Aatrek wrote: View Post
There is a very nice CGI shot in Booby Trap, the best yet. I wonder if anyone can spot it?
I think you're talking about the flashes from the welding work on the under-construction Enterprise on the holodeck? That's very nice, and very subtle!
It is a very nice touch, but I think the best CGI so far that is new to the set has to be the planets, and especially the completely unexpected city lights on VUlcan. That was WOW! But to be fair I have loved every recreated planet Max has done. Simply superb work.

What they need to do in at least one shot somewhere is add people to the ship shots. I mean the one wonderful thing about something like ENTerprise which was all CGI, is that they were able to get a real sense of wonder that is really lacking in the other shows. Things like seeing people starring in wonder out into the void,a t planets, comets, ect, and having the outside shots reflect that people actually look outside (DS9 did it for its final shot, Voyager had a couple), people should be doing it much more often, especially new crew, visitors, children on the ship, ect..

Probably wont happen on TNG thats for sure. As much as I love models, there is a significant limit to how close you can come in, especially one a tv budget and time table.

I dread, dread the shot were Q takes Amanda out on the hull. On Video its hideous. And certainly the model isn't up for that close up to show real quality. One of the few model based fx shots that I hope is lost. For all the weaknesses of weekly tv CGI, I would much rather see work like ENT had on minefield when shown walking on the hull.
Old April 29 2013, 03:01 AM   #562
mswood
Rear Admiral

Amazon just dropped its season three price. I think its at $59.99.
Old April 29 2013, 04:15 AM   #563
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Ordered. It will be mine!
Old April 29 2013, 04:15 AM   #564
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Now they drop the price. Still think I get more benefit from the Gift Cards for the future seasons if I go for Targets deal. Besides, Best of Both Worlds blu ray for what ends up being 5 dollars isn't too bad.
Old April 29 2013, 04:19 AM   #565
mswood
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Now they drop the price. Still think I get more benefit from the Gift Cards for the future seasons if I go for Targets deal. Besides, Best of Both Worlds blu ray for what ends up being 5 dollars isn't too bad.
Was planning on waiting due to unexpected bills, but that Target deal is just beautiful. Will get both for still cheaper then any season set of Trek that I have ever purchased.

I love that with Amazon I don't have to actually shop....

Anyone know when Target normally releases their films. Are they out as soon as they opening, or is it one of those that will have crew putting out the Supply sometime during the business day on Tuesday (I HATE that).
Old April 29 2013, 11:16 AM   #566
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Postie's just delivered my copies! Yay!

Apologies, as I'm sure this has probably been asked already, but....

On the back of the BOBW set it says that 3 seconds of footage has been upconverted from SD videotape in Part 1 - just out of interest, anyone know which scene this is?
Old April 29 2013, 11:31 AM   #567
Flake
Commodore

Aatrek wrote: View Post
Yes I saw that! Excellent !

There is another bit of CGI in the episode though
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 01:14 PM   #568
Dream
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Apologies, as I'm sure this has probably been asked already, but....

On the back of the BOBW set it says that 3 seconds of footage has been upconverted from SD videotape in Part 1 - just out of interest, anyone know which scene this is?
It was during Part II when Riker faces off with Locutus while on the battle bridge. Here you go.

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
So here's the missing 3-second shot thanks to some posters over at Blu-ray.com:

But it *is* from Part II, just like I thought! The disclaimer on the package is wrong.
Old April 29 2013, 02:11 PM   #569
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Ah, thanks for that.

I was wondering why it's on the packaging for the BOBW standalone, but no mention at all on the back of the Season 3 set. Mystery solved.

It's a shame that it couldn't be found, but 3 seconds is 3 seconds. I'll just blink and then it will be gone!
Old April 29 2013, 03:09 PM   #570
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if they will price match as I would really like to get the exclusive VAM. If they won't then I'll head over to Target.
Savage Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote