Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #136
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

Can't say I'm a big fan of any story that takes place in the TARDIS, but this seemed nice enough. Wasn't entirely convinced by the salvage crew or by the lava monsters but they all seemed like the kind of half-assed ideas we've always had in Doctor Who.
Old April 28 2013, 06:52 PM   #137
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

As much as I disliked this episode I'm started to wonder if I was the only one actually watching it?

I guess the question I have is - what's the point of asking easter eggs if you don't pay enough attention to notice them?
There was an umbrella but it didn't have a question mark like Sly MCCoy's, if that's what you were getting at.
The Seventh Doctor had more than one Umbrella - the one she holds in this episode is the one he had in Paradise Towers which had a whangee handle.

I guess the other easter egg passed you by as well?
I guess they did.

Do you laugh at your own jokes in real life or do you simply think it makes you look smart on the internet?
Old April 28 2013, 06:53 PM   #138
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

There was an umbrella but it didn't have a question mark like Sly MCCoy's, if that's what you were getting at.
The Seventh Doctor had more than one Umbrella - the one she holds in this episode is the one he had in Paradise Towers which had a whangee handle.

I guess they did.

Do you laugh at your own jokes in real life or do you simply think it makes you look smart on the internet?
No I just think it's really fun when people play the "But what about the real fans - where is the stuff for them?" card and get hoisted by their own petard.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:00 PM   #139
davejames
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
No, some of us just aren't as proud of having zero standards. I really liked the episode but also took issue with the ending.
My standard is just that it be entertaining. And besides, we've had three and a half seasons of Moffat's slightly zany, nutty, fairytale style of storytelling. I would think people would be a bit more used to it by now.

And I get the hatred of reset buttons in scifi, but to me as long as the characters do enough to "earn" the reset and save themselves (which I think they did here), and as long as it's not fake character growth that never happens again (like was so often the case in VOY), then I can live with it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:04 PM   #140
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I guess they did.

No I just think it's really fun when people play the "But what about the real fans - where is the stuff for them?" card and get hoisted by their own petard.
Perhaps you'd show me where I referred to 'real fans' in any of my posts.
Old April 28 2013, 08:53 PM   #141
publiusr
Commodore

I was a little confused as to when the magna-grab remote became the resit button or why, even after being burned, why I would want to attack anyone.

But I loved this story because of the Tardis interior. I have this pet theory about either the Tardis being the universe in a way, or being a tessaract wrapped in a texture--a cosmological defect.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 10:32 PM   #142
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

YellowSubmarine wrote: View Post
RevdKathy wrote: View Post
The book, like everything else, is made by the TARDIS. (Remember the key scene... she can make anything) Who else survived the Time War? The Doctor would hardly write his memoirs and include all his secrets, and leave it lying around for companions to read, even if an autobiography might assuage his survivor guilt. The other Time Lords are Time locked, and the Daleks have never struck me as the literary creative type (Dictate! Dictate!) The only other 'person' to get out alive is the TARDIS herself. And who else knows all the Doctor's secrets?
A very interesting observation. I might add that if knowledge of the Doctor's name is so critical, he wouldn't keep in a place so easy to find.
Maybe he didn't know about it until Clara mentioned? I have to rewatch the episode because I can't remember his reaction to Clara's mention of the book and his name.

throwback wrote: View Post
I liked the design of the salvager's ship, and, for me, that was the best part of the episode.
So did I. It reminded me of Bablyon 5's Earth Alliance ships.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:22 PM   #143
Yminale
Rear Admiral

My only complaints were that there were too many blink and you'll miss it moments (including the remote) but the main story was meh? The whole reset thing doesn't help. I hate it when they write themselves in to corner and use some Deus Ex Machina to get themselves out.
Old April 28 2013, 11:28 PM   #144
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Yminale wrote: View Post
I hate it when they write themselves in to corner and use some Deus Ex Machina to get themselves out.
It was seeded throughout the episode. It's not a deus ex machina.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:49 PM   #145
Yminale
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
I hate it when they write themselves in to corner and use some Deus Ex Machina to get themselves out.
I mention this. Deus Ex Machina, Chekhov's gun, it's still lazy writing.
Old April 28 2013, 11:51 PM   #146
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
It doesn't make any less of device. That we have seen again and again.

The more I reflect back on this, the more disappointing it is. All of the stuff with Clara, the advancement of their relationship, wiped out. The next few episodes could've been so much more potentially interesting with Clara mistrusting the Doctor, and perhaps having her OWN mystery to unravel... But, no. Blank cheerful Clara... again.

She's slowly becoming an uncharacter. She's cute and bubbly enough to keep fanboys interested and in their beds at night, but she's more of a MacGuffin than an actual flesh and blood character with depth, needs, goals, etc.

Personally, I don't really care about her, or her "impossibility".... in a Universe like Doctor Who there could be a million reasons why she has existed... he travels in a fucking TIME machine... why is she SO impossible?

Bleh. This series aint so good.
Old April 28 2013, 11:58 PM   #147
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't see how Clara is any less of a character than previous companions. Personally, I'd say she has more personality and is better acted than Sarah-Jane was in 70s Who, and she's less annoying than Jo Grant. She also doesn't cry all the time and reference Eastenders so she's probably in the top tier of New Who companions, if not my favourite by default.

Still early days now though and time will tell if she'll be up there with Ian, Barbara, Leela, Romana, Ace and Bernice Summerfield as a favourite of mine.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
She's slowly becoming an uncharacter. She's cute and bubbly enough to keep fanboys interested and in their beds at night, but she's more of a MacGuffin than an actual flesh and blood character with depth, needs, goals, etc.
Please explain to me Susan or Sarah-Jane's needs and goals in the classic series? Did Rose and Martha have any needs beyond the Tenth Doctor's dick?
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 12:07 AM   #148
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

How many more episodes are there left in this season. I think part of my disappointment stems from the fact that after this season, we have the 50th anniversary special and then no more Doctor Who until probably next year. They have this mystery of Clara and I'm afraid it won't get resolved, thus making us wait like 1.5 years before we actually get any answers. This was the perfect episode to really delve into that, and echo or not, we're kind of back to square one. If Clara does remember than so be it, but I was hoping we could leave the episode with this storyline of what happened being deep to the point where the final episodes of the season can really delve into the events of last night. Because it was "kinda" a reset, I almost fear that the remaining episodes will be more of the same, and next week's episode looks so much like "Hide" that I'm almost bracing myself to be disappointed again.

They started this mystery of who Clara was, going all the way back to the premiere episode of the season, and I hope we get answers before the season is out and everyone is fawning over the 50th anniversary show. If there's only 2 episodes left, we're going to get some rushed stories to wrap up the season successfully.
Old April 29 2013, 12:11 AM   #149
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ 3 more episodes, then the 50th anniversary special (Nov.) & the Christmas special.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 12:13 AM   #150
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ 3 more episodes, then the 50th anniversary special (Nov.) & the Christmas special.
So there will be a Christmas special? I thought the 50th Anniversary special was supposed to serve in place of the Christmas special, thereby no more Doctor Who until 2014, which might be in the Fall again like how Season 7 was. Still, with three episodes left, I really hope we get something, or else I will hate last night's episode even more for the potential it squandered.