RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,591
Posts: 5,404,064
Members: 24,867
Currently online: 563
Newest member: jack@gerryander

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 28 2013, 02:34 AM   #31
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral
 
Geoff Peterson's Avatar
 
Location: 20 feet from an outlet
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Um, we're talking about a guy who makes movies, not the guy in charge of the studio/network/publishing house. Abrams making Star Trek and Star Wars is not going to turn him into Rupert Murdoch.
Um, same difference, same principles at play, therefore it is an error on your part to try and minimalize things in order to invalidate or disprove my thesis because it doesn't. I went from big picture to small, but going from small to big works just as well in the making of my point.

My point has not been about Abrams being on par with a Rupert Murdoch or Studio Chief or CEO of a media conglom. It is about his bringing the same POV, perspective, tastes, sensibilities, back-of-tricks to two members of the same genre. It is about his being a footsoldier in the army of an industry that is forever looking to reduce things to a formula by which to homogenize.

Sadly, it is one of those things that if a person (or persons)can't grasp or forsee the magnitude or danger of then it is hard to educate them into at least understanding the concepts and ideas being discussed.
I get what you're trying to say. I just don't buy it. Star Trek and Star Wars aren't that far apart in the first place. That said, Abrams is smart enough and talented enough to put forward the things that are different.

When people start using loaded terms like "footsoldier", "the magnitude or danger" and "educate" in reference to what is basically entertainment I have to laugh at the seriousness and hyperbole of it all. Especially when they are in "talk down to mode".
__________________
Nerys Myk
Geoff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:39 AM   #32
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Was I being coy, or was I doing no more than alluding to the same "one person" about whom you had only just been expressing so much concern?
No, you were being coy. You quoted the portion of my post where I was plainly stating that my position wasn't centered on Abrams specifically but based on a general principle.


Ah, that lovely "creak" of goalposts moving.
Please cite where I have "moved the goalposts."

You could begin by making a solid argument for your contention that Abrams is being given complete control of the "Star Wars" franchise...
Easy peasy as it is a far more incredulous claim to make that someone of Abrams standing would sign on to be a flunky with no voice or influence in a project he undertakes. JJ Abrams has demonstrably worked his way up the ladder in Hollywood to greater power and control over his "projects" from scoring a film at age 16 to present. (IMDB).

Oh yeah, Abrams company Bad Robot is also producing (with Disney and Kathleen Kennedy).
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:08 AM   #33
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

Please cite where I have "moved the goalposts."
You did so at least twice more in your post immediately preceding this one, and if constructing a solid argument to support your assertion were as "easy peasy" as you say, we would have seen it already. There's nothing to your case but arm-waving.
__________________
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:40 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

JJ: "I'm sorry, I must turn down your kind offer to direct your next blockbuster feature film because... no one man should have such power over more than one mega franchise at a time."

LOL.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:54 AM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Abrams will do a fine job with both Star Wars and Star Trek. There are actually things of some importance going on in the world to which one can devote one's concern for the future, rather than exaggerating the importance of who directs which Hollywood movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:40 AM   #36
Opus
Commodore
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Location: Bloom County
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post
I am from a time that mistrusts too much power in too few hands. A time that had strict limits on media ownership so as to prevent only select voices from shouting down and distorting the perceptions of the masses. I've seen the effects of those restrictions being loosened and then done away with. All the dire predictions of which largely coming to pass. I would simply hate for "Star Trek" becoming the latest example of history repeating itself.

Again, we are for the most part the sum total of our experiences. For me, it causes worry to see things get reduced to the same few people and companies. Just as I hate to see all things get boiled down to the same common denominators. No insult or offense intended, just an opinion.
It's just movies...
__________________
Now that I've seen it, and have also had time to mellow, to really think about it, I now find it absolutely, unbearably repulsive in every way except for some of the acting. - about The Wrath of Khan. Interstat, Issue 62: 1982
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:15 AM   #37
Danger Ace
Commander
 
Danger Ace's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
You did so at least twice more in your post immediately preceding this one ...
So you keep saying.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
JJ: "I'm sorry, I must turn down your kind offer to direct your next blockbuster feature film because... no one man should have such power over more than one mega franchise at a time."

LOL.
Principiis obsta et finem respice.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Abrams will do a fine job with both Star Wars and Star Trek. There are actually things of some importance going on in the world to which one can devote one's concern for the future, rather than exaggerating the importance of who directs which Hollywood movie.
Well, I will agree that there will probably be a striking similarity ... er ... conformity ... consistency between the two.

Opus wrote: View Post
]
It's just movies...
First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
__________________
Yours Truly,
Vic Falcone
Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:13 AM   #38
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xaios's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Yes, that analogy makes perfect sense. If we're not vigilant, Paramount and JJ Abrams will take us in our sleep.

Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:43 AM   #39
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

I think Alex Proyas or Philip Noyce could be interesting. Walter Hill, if he's not burned out after the Supernova fiasco.

And if we really want to turn the franchise on its pointed ear, the Farrelly Brothers.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:10 PM   #40
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Xaios wrote: View Post
Yes, that analogy makes perfect sense. If we're not vigilant, Paramount and JJ Abrams will take us in our sleep.
They already came and wiped your Prime Universe videos, DVDs and Blu-Rays.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:57 PM   #41
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Ancient Mariner
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

I'm absolutely thrilled that Abrams is doing both Trek and Wars. He has already demonstrated the ability to successfully interpret one franchise for modern audiences and I'm excited to see the results for the other. And, if his schedule permits, having him at the helm of both franchises (to whatever degree is necessitated by their respective studios) means that we're in for a good 5+ year run of exciting, entertaining sci-fi/fantasy films.

Sign me up.
__________________
Ancient Mariner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:49 PM   #42
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xaios's Avatar
 
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Xaios wrote: View Post
Yes, that analogy makes perfect sense. If we're not vigilant, Paramount and JJ Abrams will take us in our sleep.
They already came and wiped your Prime Universe videos, DVDs and Blu-Rays.
You corporate bastards, you killed my canon!

But in all seriousness, Danger Ace, we're talking about an ENTERTAINMENT MEDIUM here. This is not Brave New World or 1984, JJ Abrams hasn't turned Star Trek into "the feels," he's not a member of "The Party," and the thought police aren't coming abduct you in your sleep and torture you with Cardassian Voles. So stop with all the truther Trek Tea Party mass conspiracy bullshit. It just comes across as paranoid.

Also, replying to someone in latin is the height of pretentiousness.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:54 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

When you feel like you're being persecuted because someone makes a movie you don't like, it is probably time to find a new hobby.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:42 PM   #44
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

BillJ wrote: View Post
When you feel like you're being persecuted because someone makes a movie you don't like, it is probably time to find a new hobby.
Quite so.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:06 PM   #45
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.

Then J.J. Abrams came for my Star Trek videos--and there was no one left to speak for my nerdrage.
Fixed that for you...
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.