Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2013, 11:52 AM   #91
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

jbny67 wrote: View Post
I thought I could hear the voices of the third and fifth Doctor during the scene where the salvage crew member was opening up the console. Did anyone else notice this?
Susan explaining the name TARDIS, the third Doctor, and the Ninth, that I made out

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:53 AM   #92
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Green Lantern wrote: View Post
they have ruined the eye of harmony, in the 96 film it was awesome, now it's just a fucking miniture sun. Why, WHY??????????
Uh, it was the TV Movie which changed the Eye of Harmony. It can be reconciled by believing that the one on the TARDIS is a mere link to the main one discovered by Omega and Rassilon though.

Plus Clara's clothing was appualing. Looked awfull.
I thought she looked really sexy.

that episode was far too complicated for me.
Grrr. Complicated is good, people. Otherwise we get stuff like Abrams Trek.

Typical Moffat, solving the eisodes problems with giant complicated stuff none of us can understand.
Moffat didn't even write this episode.

usually i can just about understand what happens in an episode, and by then the rest of my family are confused so I explain it to them, but this time even I had no idea what was going on. Never had this problem with RTD
That's because his stories were ridiculously simplistic.

I heard Moffat was leaving after series 8, it that's ture, the last episode of series 8 cannot come soon enough.
I'm not excited for the era of Chris Chibnall, myself.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:54 AM   #93
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
The library was mind boggling,
It's Cardiff Castle's Library!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:07 PM   #94
Australis
Writer

I enjoyed it the most of all season 7 eps so far. Lots of action, tension, TARDIS not as invulnerable as usual, LOVED the Library, and we saw the swimming pool. But I was amazed no one picked up (or has mentioned at least) the other thing Clara saw when she looked into a different room and saw... the Light Chamber from "Tooth and Claw". And yes, that was Seven's umbrealla. And Clara didn't spell reset button on her hand, it was off the hot bomb that the Doctor picked up and burned her hand. And a few people mentioned Logopolis but no one mentioned Castrovalva. And, in conclusion, the voices that we heard at he start included None saying "those doors could stop the hordes of Genghis Khan, and have".

ETA: the lava monsters, I can't see a logical reason for them except as a quick tension-raiser, and they were good as that, but no more.

I'm amazed I picked that stuff up.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:08 PM   #95
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I like the episode as long as I ignore that the monsters make no sense at all. Even trying to bullshit an unspoken excuse for them comes up with a blank. The Doctor monster is the only one that could possibly be accounted for somehow surviving, becoming insane and running around his ship trying to protect it (or whatever they were doing).
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:13 PM   #96
Saul
Rear Admiral

I liked this episode. It might be for the little references thrown in here or there. Time War book, swimming pool etc. Big improvement on what we got in the past. I liked the reveal about the zombies. The Eye of harmony, the exploded engine. Fun enough episode.
Old April 28 2013, 12:22 PM   #97
Stoo
Captain

I came away from that episode a bit bewildered. So, exposure to the eye of harmony turns you into an ossified zombie? Ok. And I had to rewatch the ending to understand what was going on.

Was cool to see various rooms inside the Tardis, altho we did get a lot of generic corridors too.

So I enjoyed this ep. Just not sure how well it all holds together. The reset was a bit annoying but it appears it might not be total.
Stoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:31 PM   #98
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Psion wrote: View Post
This reset left echoes.
Also the burn on Clara's hand from the reset timeline appeared on her hand in the other timeline, which implies they were never completely independent to begin with. For some odd reason, when the past and the future were leaking into the present, I expected other timelines to leak into it as well.

It would have been an excellent episode, had it not been for two things that made it not that enjoyable to me:
1. The monsters that they turned into after burning did not make much sense, both in believability and storywise. When the first zombie appeared, my first thought was that the looks were deceiving and he or she was a good guy. Then they were shown to be mindless and evil. Then they turned out to be our guys. Too much black and white, too little hues to make them interesting and make such unexpected transformation worthwhile and more believable.
2. The salvage crew. And I don't mean the acting, the writing bothered me. You come in a room, a scanner tells you that there is everything in the room, you should express much surprise and fear before you start salvaging it. I am pretty sure when you're dealing with everything, you need to be careful. They were most uninteresting the entire time, I think all three brothers were androids. Of the decommissioned models. Except maybe the android one.
Old April 28 2013, 12:31 PM   #99
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It was very atmospheric and a great exploration of the interior of the TARDIS, something I wanted to see in the new series but we really haven't gotten (except a small runabout in "The Doctor's Wife"). Unfortunately, my copy of the episode was slightly corrupted and kept skipping, so I missed on some bits here and there (including the audio references to previous episodes). Despite that, I still enjoyed the episode a lot and I'm quite surprised by the amount of distaste for it here.

Honestly, I didn't mind the reset button (I usually despise them), but as others have already stated, it's not really a reset button between the small changes with the salvage crew, Clara feeling tired from two days compressed into two, and The Doctor clearly remembering the adventure (and I'm sure Clara will remember it later on). While agree it's a shame we lose some of the conflict between The Doctor and Clara because of the reset, I think this loss will come into play in the finale.

As for the actual exploration, I loved the glimpses of the observatory and the swimming pool (glad to see it back despite being ejected however many times now) as well the visits to the architectural reconfiguration system, the Eye of Harmony and the library (although I wish we saw a bit more of it). I loved that there was "an outdoors" area of the interior even though it proved to be an illusion. It's no more farfetched than the brick warehouse walls (which, unlike many others including Moffat, I've never had a problem with). The centre itself was also wonderfully surreal.

I'm not sure if I quite agree with the idea that the TARDIS is trying to help Clara, although I agree with the notion that the TARDIS deliberately allowed her to read "The History of the Time War." I need to rewatch the episode (properly) and think about that little conundrum because up to this point, I think the TARDIS is terrified of Clara and I have a theory on why that is (based on the theory the AV Club reviewer had, which I posted in another thread).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:51 PM   #100
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

To add something to what I said earlier. The reconfiguration system was probably one of the coolest things they've shown, we actually saw the essence of what made the TARDIS so cool. And the moment was dampened by two brothers who were completely unimpressed by it. There should have been something in the scene for us to enjoy the moment more.

I felt somewhat similar about the monsters. When Clara was finding herself into the most interesting places inside the TARDIS, you had to be occupied with a monster chasing her, without as much as an idea on its disposition. I think it would have been a little bit better if they did not seem bound on chasing and harming Clara, and instead were more benign and just making her nervous. But maybe that's just me.
Old April 28 2013, 01:40 PM   #101
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm sorry, but I can not tolerate reset buttons. It's one of the laziest tropes around. Family Guy sums it up best when they refer to reset buttons as a "middle finger to the audience." And thta's exactly what this felt like. Unlike prvious Doctor Who reset like Last of the Time Lords, The Big Bang and The Wedding of River Song where the episode's main cast at least remembers everything after the reset, it would seem this is a full reset where no one remembers. Well, okay, it's kind of implied the Doctor is still aware of everything, but that's it. Clara forgot everything she learned in the TARDIS library including the Doctor's name (or I guess even that the Doctor has a name he keeps secret) and the salvaging brothers are still playing their cruel prank of making the young guy believe he's an android, though apparentally the middle brother is starting to stand up to the older one about picking on the android/little brother.

The tour of the TARDIS isn't all that impressive. For the most part everyone is just walking around the same corridor. Sure, we get glimpses of a telescope and the often spoken of swimming pool as well as seeing the library and engine room, but I don't know. I get they didn't want to go all fanwanky, but couldn't they have at least thrown in something more than Sylvester McCoy's umbrella and audio clips of Christopher Eccleston and Karen Gillan?

I don't know. I want to like this episode, but it just feels so pointless. It's not very often I call an episode of Doctor Who disappointing, and to be fair there are episodes worse than this. But damn, it really wasn't that good.
Old April 28 2013, 01:57 PM   #102
Relayer1
Commodore

I've been thinking about the episode and have downgraded it in my personal ranking from very disappointing to crap...
Old April 28 2013, 02:05 PM   #103
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
and the salvaging brothers are still playing their cruel prank of making the young guy believe he's an android, though apparentally the middle brother is starting to stand up to the older one about picking on the android/little brother.
Blimely... does everyone need everything spelling out via character dialogue? Go back, look at the photo at the start of the episode and then look at the one at the end...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:08 PM   #104
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Doctors past wasn't rewritten.

His future didn't happen.

That's completely different.

The only way the Timelord would remember that conversation is if the author is a sentimental git, or if the Future Doctor delivered a telepathic dump into the past Doctor's brain.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:13 PM   #105
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
they have ruined the eye of harmony, in the 96 film it was awesome, now it's just a fucking miniature sun. Why, WHY??????????
Uh, it was the TV Movie which changed the Eye of Harmony. It can be reconciled by believing that the one on the TARDIS is a mere link to the main one discovered by Omega and Rassilon though.
Why do you assume that that was a miniature sun?

It could have been a very big room.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote