Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2013, 06:13 AM   #76
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

3/4

Multiple kudos for finally having an episode set inside the Tardis! I've been waiting and waiting for this with only "Doctor's Wife" giving me a brief taste. When I was a kid "Invasion of Time" was my all time favorite episode because I always fascinated by Gallifrey, the Time Lords, and the interior of the Tardis.

So was the time crack and the Tardis exploding entirely separate from the Season Five storyline, and just Moffat recycling his own ideas for the umpteenth time?

I'm so glad they actually showed the Eye of Harmony! And better yet, they showed RTD's unpublished History of the Time War book haha

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 06:14 AM   #77
Slugboy
Commodore

Psion wrote: View Post
Oddly, I wasn't bothered by the big reset button because it literally was a big reset button.

And it wasn't.

Not everything reset.
A much less subtle non-reset is that there is a high probability (in my opinion) that the Doctor remembers everything that happened, most significantly the result of the aggressive questioning he gives Clara on the fake cliff, about who she really is (he finally seems to believe her assurance that she is real). As a Time Lord, he should be aware of such temporal rewrites. (this ability has been established in episodes of both the new and classic series)

In this episode, at the end, he mentions two days crammed into one, indicating that he was aware of the first version of events.

So even if Clara truly forgets everything, the Doctor will still remember, and so the episode is not necessarily a reset from a character point of view.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 06:27 AM   #78
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Without echoing too much, the salvage crew and their story was not compelling. 'The Edge of Destruction' was a far better Tardis in the face of imminent destruction than this or the Crack from the first season of Matt's'. TEOD kept everything to the Tardis crew, and did a crackerjack development of the characters, especially between Barbara and the Doctor. It is such a shame that the reset button took away Clara's revelations about the Doctor. As others have mentioned, it's tedious that only River-Sue can know about the Doctor's secrets. Hopefully, something remains from her time in the Library. That reset, and tossing away the character development between Clara and the Doctor brought this episode down to average. The salvage crew angle almost made this go even lower on the scale.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:22 AM   #79
Aldo
Admiral

Am I the only one who liked the Salvage crew? I felt they were a nice foil to the Doctor and I enjoyed it when the TARDIS was fighting back against their attempted salvage.
Old April 28 2013, 07:49 AM   #80
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who liked the Salvage crew? I felt they were a nice foil to the Doctor and I enjoyed it when the TARDIS was fighting back against their attempted salvage.
The 'android' was okay. The brothers were a couple of bastards though. I wouldn't have minded seeing them developed more though.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:50 AM   #81
Slugboy
Commodore

Aldo wrote: View Post
I suppose the one thing I liked about the salvage crew was that they were realistic as characters. In a show which normally features humans as either great heroes or dastardly villains, it was nice to see humans more representative of real people: selfish, interested in personal gain (you want us to help you? What's our fee?), engaging in sibling rivalry to the point where one is willing to rob one's own siblings of their birthright (ask any probate judge).

In a way, they remind me of Adam, back in the 2005 episode Dalek, who tried to profit from his trip to the future.
Slugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:36 AM   #82
Konata Izumi
Commander

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
"OOOoo I'm thick! Thick-thick-thickety-thick!"
Is that an actual Donna quote?
It was just the Doctor who said something along those lines every episode. Perhaps even, "From the planet of thick-head."
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:43 AM   #83
Pingfah
Admiral

Really enjoyed it. I'm going to assume the reset button is going to come back and bite the Doctor in the ass...
Old April 28 2013, 10:34 AM   #84
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

It's not entirely a reset button as it *does* move the story on if we assume the Doctor now accepts that she is normal (and remember their conversation)... however we have sort of already done this when he could remember that Rory existed.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 10:43 AM   #85
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed this episode a lot.

But did anyone else think that this could easily have been re-written to be the 50th anniversary ep or a multi-Doctor one? The warping of time inside the TARDIS could have allowed 11 to bump into his predecessors, with some technobabble explanation about how time was being re-written and they hadn't regenerated, explaining away their appearances.

I was a little surprised that this ep didn't contain a few more references to the past; maybe some props from previous Doctors (hats, scarves, umbrellas etc) or even something to acknowledge past companions turning up in the TARDIS. Just little Easter eggs for the fans, really.
Old April 28 2013, 10:50 AM   #86
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post

But did anyone else think that this could easily have been re-written to be the 50th anniversary ep or a multi-Doctor one? The warping of time inside the TARDIS could have allowed 11 to bump into his predecessors, with some technobabble explanation about how time was being re-written and they hadn't regenerated, explaining away their appearances.

I was a little surprised that this ep didn't contain a few more references to the past; maybe some props from previous Doctors (hats, scarves, umbrellas etc) or even something to acknowledge past companions turning up in the TARDIS. Just little Easter eggs for the fans, really.

As much as I disliked this episode I'm started to wonder if I was the only one actually watching it?

I guess the question I have is - what's the point of asking easter eggs if you don't pay enough attention to notice them?
Old April 28 2013, 10:55 AM   #87
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

What on earth was going on in that episode?

Began somewhat okay, but by the end it was appualing. Overly complicated ebding whic even I didn't get, they have ruined the eye of harmony, in the 96 film it was awesome, now it's just a fucking miniture sun. Why, WHY??????????

Plus although it's the best design of the revival series, I'm gradualy growing to hate it more day by day. Too dark and gloomy. Just give the fans what they really want, the clasic white design please! Although I must admit I'd prefer a McGann style steampunk TARDIS. But either way, there's something about each design since 05 which hasn't really impressed me much. The worst was that awfull first design of Smiths, just a boring copy of the RTD one. Plus we've only really just got this new design so we haven't really gelled with it enough to want to see more.

Plus Clara's clothing was appualing. Looked awfull. And in the end, did future doctor comming through a hole in time or whatever give the doctor that thing which meant none of it happened anyway, so the whole episode was rendered pointless? If so, shouldn't that create some sort of paradox or something? I don't know, that episode was far too complicated for me. Typical Moffat, solving the eisodes problems with giant complicated stuff none of us can understand. usually i can just about understand what happens in an episode, and by then the rest of my family are confused so I explain it to them, but this time even I had no idea what was going on. Never had this problem with RTD, his stories were exciting and easy to understand, now stories are dull, boring, and difficult to understand.

I heard Moffat was leaving after series 8, it that's ture, the last episode of series 8 cannot come soon enough.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:01 AM   #88
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

Yeah, you have a very god point there. That in my eyes would be the only acceptable answer for the doctors being aged too! WOuld have wanted a clasic foe in it though, maybe the daleks could have replaced the scavangers, or maybe Omega could have caused it. Would want a better design though. I don't like how dark and murky this new one is. Plus they could have used the title "the eleven doctors" for that too! And it would be a good excuse for us too se a variaty of old and new tardis designs.

Yeah, same here. If that would have happened, I might have liked it more. Maybe it would have been funny to see Matt Smith wear a scarf for a few minites.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 11:25 AM   #89
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

As much as I disliked this episode I'm started to wonder if I was the only one actually watching it?

I guess the question I have is - what's the point of asking easter eggs if you don't pay enough attention to notice them?
There was an umbrella but it didn't have a question mark like Sly MCCoy's, if that's what you were getting at.
Old April 28 2013, 11:28 AM   #90
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

There was an umbrella but it didn't have a question mark like Sly MCCoy's, if that's what you were getting at.
The Seventh Doctor had more than one Umbrella - the one she holds in this episode is the one he had in Paradise Towers which had a whangee handle.

I guess the other easter egg passed you by as well?