The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old April 26 2013, 06:12 PM   #91
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

So much for my Thunder making the finals now. I always knew their luck would run out one day concerning serious injuries. When Patrick Beverley lunged at him for the ball on Wednesday when Westbrook was about to call time out their knees collided.

It was confirmed this morning that Westbrook has a small lateral meniscus tear in his right knee. Fairly easy in terms of the small repair surgery needed and physical rehab needed. Nothing like what happened to Derrick Rose, but Westbrook's out of the playoffs.

That's why he was so pissed at Beverley. He knew he was hurt. A healthy San Antonio will make it out of the West now. There's no way for the Thunder to get past them in a series without Westbrook. They'll get past Houston, but anything after that, all bets are off.

sigh. That's life. I didn't expect them to get past the Heat, but I wanted to see them make the finals without Harden and be vindicated for the trade decision. No one will remember that they got the #1 seed without Harden. Should have traded for a back up point guard before the deadline, Presti.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 26 2013, 07:54 PM   #92
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't say that SA has a lock on the Finals just yet. They haven't looked very good against the Lakers, but their chances of getting there sure have increased. Actually teams like Denver and GS should also look at Westbrook's injury as a possible opening. In fact, Clips, Grizz, should all take heart.

But I do think that OKC could still make the Finals. SA is just not that good. But do OKC fans have the stomach to watch their team get back to the Finals with the prospect of once again losing to the Heat hanging prominently over their teams' heads?

From my experience, get there first and let the chips fall where they may. Who knows, with the way this season is going, maybe the Heat will get hit with a big injury.
Old April 27 2013, 01:04 AM   #93
Borgminister

Just wait until McGrady starts raining threes!

But don't hold your breath!
Old April 27 2013, 03:42 PM   #94
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Good Lord, this season can't end fast enough...

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old April 27 2013, 06:02 PM   #95
Borgminister

Yeah that was ... really bad. And it wasn't like San Antonio was trying to run up the score, I thought.
Old April 27 2013, 11:04 PM   #96
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Who knows, with the way this season is going, maybe the Heat will get hit with a big injury.
I wish, but somehow I doubt it. The gods seems to want to smile on those ass clowns. I wish I had your confidence, but San Antonio, when healthy, always seems to bring its A game against the Thunder. They can collapse on Durant now. Ibaka has really, really picked up his offensive game but it's not enough to win a series against them. Westbrook is far more vital than people realize. If only Kevin Martin weren't so sporadic. Some nights he's bloody brilliant, then others....not so much.

I am hoping the Grizzlies make it out of the series with the Clippers. Sans Westbrook, the Thunder match up far better with the Grizzlies.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 28 2013, 06:47 AM   #97
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Sheesh, my hair is gray now. That final 3 pointer. Holy moly.

Of course, they're saying the Thunder lost the lead because they were too interested in "payback" for Westbrook because Durant swiped at the ball and touched Lin's chest. You'd think he'd punched him in the chest or deliberately went for his knee the way some folks are carrying on.

Old April 28 2013, 09:58 AM   #98
Borgminister

Nate Robinson--National NBA Treasure!
Old April 29 2013, 06:55 PM   #99
Borgminister

Under/Over on Kobe and Howard remaining as Lakers next year?

I say Howard goes elsewhere, because no way they're gonna amnesty Kobe, and besides, Howard does not have the temperament of a winner, and whatever else, the Lakers are winners.
Old April 29 2013, 07:41 PM   #100
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Steph Curry is amazing at Basketball, as last night showed. I hope he's ok considering he has a bad hamstring, ankle, and eye, but man what a quarter he had last night. That was incredibly fun to watch.
Old April 29 2013, 07:48 PM   #101
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Under/Over on Kobe and Howard remaining as Lakers next year?

I say Howard goes elsewhere, because no way they're gonna amnesty Kobe, and besides, Howard does not have the temperament of a winner, and whatever else, the Lakers are winners.
That isn't how over / under works.

The Lakers have a lot of problems, in that they're old and slow. Nash turned out to be a horrible fit, and D'Antoni's inability to use Gasol effectively seems indicative of a systemic problem. They obviously aren't going to amnesty Kobe, but they can't count on him being a major contributor in the early part of next season (if at all). I have to think that Howard stays and tries to rebuild his reputation, but the team has a lot of holes to fill elsewhere.
Old April 29 2013, 08:56 PM   #102
gblews
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
The Lakers have a lot of problems, in that they're old and slow. Nash turned out to be a horrible fit, and D'Antoni's inability to use Gasol effectively seems indicative of a systemic problem. They obviously aren't going to amnesty Kobe, but they can't count on him being a major contributor in the early part of next season (if at all). I have to think that Howard stays and tries to rebuild his reputation, but the team has a lot of holes to fill elsewhere.
I pretty much agree. But one question that has been brewing among Lakers fans is; will Dwight somehow let it be known that his re-signing depends on firing D'Antoni. If he does this, and that is a big "if", then, IMO, the Lakers will fire D'Antoni in less than a heartbeat. But as long as D'Antoni keeps promoting the inside out offense that got us into the playoffs, Dwight will likely be okay wiht another year with him. But I don't think D'Antoni is a championship coach. I hope he does sooner rather than later.

Another big issue is whether or not they keep Gasol another season. Considering the major financial hit the team will take next season if they keep Pau, it is hard to imagine not dealing him. They'll wait to sign Dwight before tading him, of course. If we can get a some quickness at small forward and/or point guard, the team could be back in business by this time next season.

Kobe vs the "inside out" offense will be the story, which is kind of Kobe vs Dwight by proxy. But as Magic once said about Kobe v Shaq after Phil was hired the first time, "Shaq say he wanna win, Kobe say he wanna win -- we gon' see".
Old April 29 2013, 09:01 PM   #103
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

gblews wrote: View Post
I pretty much agree. But one question that has been brewing among Lakers fans is; will Dwight somehow let it be known that his re-signing depends on firing D'Antoni. If he does this, and that is a big "if", then, IMO, the Lakers will fire D'Antoni in less than a heartbeat.
I really don't see this happening; Howard's reputation is already in the tank, and the last thing he needs is to get a label of being a coach-killer.
Old April 29 2013, 09:13 PM   #104
gblews
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
gblews wrote: View Post
I pretty much agree. But one question that has been brewing among Lakers fans is; will Dwight somehow let it be known that his re-signing depends on firing D'Antoni. If he does this, and that is a big "if", then, IMO, the Lakers will fire D'Antoni in less than a heartbeat.
I really don't see this happening; Howard's reputation is already in the tank, and the last thing he needs is to get a label of being a coach-killer.
And it would be his second time being labled as such, so yeah, I agree it's not likely to happen.

The Lakers, in response to "will D'Antoni be brought back' questions, have emphasized D'Antoni's "flexibility" as being just one of the reasons he will be back. "Flexibiliy" is code for "doofus dropped that BS offense of his that needs an in-his-prime-Steve Nash" in order to work, for an offense that fits the team's actual personnel. That offense runs through the bigs similar to the Tri so Dwight is probably not "unhappy" with this.
Old April 30 2013, 12:43 AM   #105
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I am glad the Celtics were not swept small victories
Closed Thread