Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 28 2013, 08:32 AM   #31
lurok
Commodore

Re: is TOS the only 'true' Star Trek?

Galaxy Quest.

thread closed.
Old April 28 2013, 08:46 AM   #32
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Don't you mean thread smashed by rock monster while cleavage alluringly bursts forth?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:49 AM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

So you mean between a rock and a hard place? Ooh.. terrible pun!
Old April 28 2013, 11:30 AM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
Technically, TOS is the only original Star Trek. Everything after that are spin-offs. It doesn't make any one series better than the other, it's just the first series of any genre is considered the original.
This. Although I'd class the new movies as an adaptation of the original rather than a spin-off.
Old April 28 2013, 11:53 AM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Didn't DS9 start with an explicit TNG connection? And didn't it feature recurring TNG characters in its episodes as well as two TNG characters as a part of its cast? Didn't First Contact feature an explicit connection to DS9? ... etc.

Plus, DS9 dialogue repeatedly referenced TNG ("Picard never hit me" - "I'm not Picard"; and Worf's incredible homage while talking to O'Brien, "We were like warriors from the ancient sagas. There was nothing we could not do … it will not be the same … those were good years.”)
"Except keep the holodecks working."

But to answer the OP's question, I would say No, but it all depends on what you mean by 'true'. Sure it was nice to get the little referrences to previous shows, but isn't that just about using your history, i.e. In the RN, Admiral Lord Nelson is still held in high regard by todays members of the RN. Is that any different from the likes of Sisko, Janeway etc.. looking back at the exploits of Kirk.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 12:17 PM   #36
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

If you look at the small print all the series that came after TOS.... TNG DS9 VOY and ENT all say based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry
Old April 28 2013, 12:55 PM   #37
Dream
Admiral

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
If you look at the small print all the series that came after TOS.... TNG DS9 VOY and ENT all say based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry
TNG had "Created by Gene Roddenberry" in the opening credits since he actually had a hand in its creation.

Everything after TNG all say "Based On" since Roddenberry had absolutely nothing to do with those shows.
Old April 28 2013, 12:57 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not sure what this has to do with anything?
Old April 28 2013, 01:02 PM   #39
Dream
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
He is saying only the shows Roddenberry personally worked on counts.
Old April 28 2013, 01:19 PM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Dream wrote: View Post
He is saying only the shows Roddenberry personally worked on counts.
Which is odd since he's a huge fan of the Abrams films...
Old April 28 2013, 01:39 PM   #41
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Didn't DS9 start with an explicit TNG connection? And didn't it feature recurring TNG characters in its episodes as well as two TNG characters as a part of its cast? Didn't First Contact feature an explicit connection to DS9? ... etc.

Plus, DS9 dialogue repeatedly referenced TNG ("Picard never hit me" - "I'm not Picard"; and Worf's incredible homage while talking to O'Brien, "We were like warriors from the ancient sagas. There was nothing we could not do … it will not be the same … those were good years.”)
"Except keep the holodecks working."
Oh hush, you.
Old April 28 2013, 01:54 PM   #42
The Wormhole
Admiral

Brothers and sisters, I say to you the truth! And the truth be that only Star Trek that was touched by the divine hand of Gene Roddenberry himself can be considered True Star Trek! Pure Star Trek! Do not be sawyed by such charlatans as Rick Berman or JJ Abrams with their repsective minions! For they are posers and imposters and they're work only detracts from that of Gene Roddenberry the Great!

Sorry, this thread seemed in need of some Sunday morning preaching.

Last edited by The Wormhole; April 28 2013 at 03:46 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:22 PM   #43
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

No.

Plus, no one considers Flashback among Voyager's better episodes.
Actually, I do.

But to answer the thread question, by no means. While I personally prefer TOS, TNG, and DS9, I also find aspects of VOYAGER, and ENTERPRISE enjoyable, like the example I noted above.

I'm in the middle of an ENTERPRISE re-watch right now, and am about halfway through season two. Popular opinion has it that season three is superior to season two. My dislike of the Xindi arc is well known around here, so I won't go into that again, but I find that season two has some of the shows better episodes. For example:

Shockwave
Carbon Creek
Minefield
Dead Stop
A Night in Sickbay (It doesn't deserve the hate it gets, it's not so bad)
Singularity
Vanishing Point
Precious Cargo
The Catwalk
Stigma
Future Tense
The Crossing (one of the shows more original ideas)
Judgement
Horizon
Regeneration (I don't get the fan hate for this one either. For the reasons I like it, listen to Mike Susman's audio commentary. His reasoning more or less agrees with mine.)
First Flight

That's not a bad run of decent episodes for a show that overall, is not one of my favorite Star Trek series.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:38 PM   #44
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Brothers and sisters, I say to you the truth! And the truth be that only Star Trek that was touched by the divine hand of Gene Roddenberry himself cna be considered True Star Trek! Pure Star Trek! Do not be sawyed by such charlatans as Rick Berman or JJ Abrams with their repsective minions! For they are posers and imposters and they're work only destracts from that of Gene Roddenberry the Great!

But what if Roddenberry the Great disavowed himself of The Original Series? What is The Truth of Trek then??

According to Paula Block...

Another thing that makes canon a little confusing. Gene R. himself had a habit of decanonizing things. He didn't like the way the animated series turned out, so he proclaimed that it was not canon. He also didn't like a lot of the movies. So he didn't much consider them canon either. And – okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one – after he got TNG going, he... well... he sort of decided that some of The Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in The Original Series , and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_canon

Old April 28 2013, 03:44 PM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Brothers and sisters, I say to you the truth! And the truth be that only Star Trek that was touched by the divine hand of Gene Roddenberry himself cna be considered True Star Trek! Pure Star Trek! Do not be sawyed by such charlatans as Rick Berman or JJ Abrams with their repsective minions! For they are posers and imposters and they're work only destracts from that of Gene Roddenberry the Great!

Well I guess unlike Jesus, Roddenberry made good on his Second Coming with TNG.