Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 28 2013, 06:30 AM   #16
t_smitts
Commander

Re: Question about one reality from Parallels.

Finn wrote: View Post
^Assuming Sisko was responsible for O'Brien being reassigned to DS9.
I assumed it was probably Starfleet Command who did that.

Vanyel wrote: View Post
^That's a bit fanboyish
Which part?
Uhhh, all of it?

You're assuming, of course, that there even ARE any Bajorans in Starfleet in this universe. (Conversely, we do know there's at least one Cardassian in Starfleet in this universe).
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

t_smitts wrote: View Post
^That's a bit fanboyish
Which part?
Uhhh, all of it?

You're assuming, of course, that there even ARE any Bajorans in Starfleet in this universe. (Conversely, we do know there's at least one Cardassian in Starfleet in this universe).
Isn't this whole thread about assumptions?

But if you both wish to dismiss my ideas as fanboyish, please do so at your pleasure.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 09:09 AM   #18
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Let's face it, any post on this entire board proposing a hypothetical situation in the Star Trek universe is going to have at least 1% of fanboyism in it. It doesn't matter if it's a what-if scenario, a book discussion, a fan film, lengthy discussions on the technical aspects of the complexity of transporter pattern buffers, or whether Uhura sleeps in the nude.
Old April 28 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

While we're at fanboyishness, let's have Kira or Ro command the Bajoran ship.
Old April 28 2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Finn
Vice Admiral

with a borgified Scotty as Chief Engineer
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:30 PM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral

with a borgified Scotty as Chief Engineer
"Are ye daft?! I just told ye resistance was futile ye thumb fingered moron!"
Old April 30 2013, 12:41 PM   #22
MikeS
Fleet Captain

In Parallels, we saw two reality that had something to do with the Borg. The one where the Federation, and maybe all the Alpha Quadrant, are assimilated by the Borg. The other has Picard lost to the Borg, but otherwise everything seems okay.

So how did Riker and crew defeat the Borg in that reality? Did everything happen exactly as portrayed except Picard did not survive the destruction of the Cube; or Picard was able to resist long enough for the Deflector Dish weapon to work.

I would like to think that everything happened as it did in BoBW except that Picard did not survive the destruction of the cube.

What other ideas are out there?
For the option of "Picard ... able to resist long enough for the Deflector Dish weapon to work...".

Try reading Star Trek Myriad Universes: Shattered Light the story The Embrace of Cold Architects. That gives a storm on Galtinor Prime that did not happen in the prime universe as the explanation. A thouroughly entertaining read if you can find it. A good example of how a seamingly small event can have far reaching reprucussions...
Old May 1 2013, 05:42 AM   #23
Mr_Homn
Captain

It might have made Parallels better if they had got Elizabeth Dennehy to come back as Shelby for the episode.
Although I was never particularly a fan of the actress, that would have been a great touch.
Old May 1 2013, 09:29 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post

It might have made Parallels better if they had got Elizabeth Dennehy to come back as Shelby for the episode.
Although I was never particularly a fan of the actress, that would have been a great touch.
Or have Jellico in charge in one of the realities with Riker.. just not there.
Old May 1 2013, 12:04 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

FKnight wrote: View Post
We know that in the same quantum reality that the Bajorans overthrew the Cardassian Occupation and became more aggressive.
It didn't say that the Bajorans overthrew the Occupation - rather, that they overpowered the entire Cardassian Union. I interpreted this to mean that in that universe, the occupation happened in reverse - that it was Bajor who invaded and occupied Cardassia.
Old May 2 2013, 02:01 AM   #26
Finn
Vice Admiral

^I always took it as an occupation that was overthrown before they overpowered Cardassians because they still used their ships like Kazon using Trabe ships...
Old May 7 2013, 01:18 AM   #27
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Wait. You can't post proposed alternate realities without also stating how Worf did in the bat'leth tournament.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 02:01 AM   #28
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
FKnight wrote: View Post
We know that in the same quantum reality that the Bajorans overthrew the Cardassian Occupation and became more aggressive.
It didn't say that the Bajorans overthrew the Occupation - rather, that they overpowered the entire Cardassian Union. I interpreted this to mean that in that universe, the occupation happened in reverse - that it was Bajor who invaded and occupied Cardassia.
^I always took it as an occupation that was overthrown before they overpowered Cardassians because they still used their ships like Kazon using Trabe ships...
The kicker for me was that they didn't mention the occupation by name. "Ever since Bajor overpowered the Cardassian Empire," was the specific phrase they used, IIRC. That's how I suspected that in that universe the occupation ran in the other direction, as it were.

Side note: For more on that, check out Nerys Ghemor's most excellent Cardassian fanfic, Sigils and Unions. She has two 'versions' of it, as it were: The Thirteenth Order (which, IIRC, takes place in the main Trek universe) and Catacombs of Oralius (which is set in this very "Parallels" reality we are discussing here. And she does go with the theory that it was Bajor who occupied Cardassia in that universe. I believe the Cardassian who served on the Enterprise is also a character in that work).

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; May 7 2013 at 05:02 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:43 AM   #29
Finn
Vice Admiral

^Nah. The use of Galor class ships by Bajorans suggests that there was an occupied Bajor or at least a Bajor that was harassed or under attack by Cardassians for some time.. It's not a sure thing, I realize, but it is likely the Bajorans had to fight off Cardassians and oppressed them.
Old May 7 2013, 04:59 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^Nah. The use of Galor class ships by Bajorans suggests that there was an occupied Bajor or at least a Bajor that was harassed or under attack by Cardassians for some time..
Where did you get the idea that the Bajorans were using Cardassian ships? The ship that attacked the Enterprise was just said to be Bajoran. Nobody pointed out what class or design it was. And we never saw it, either.

The only Galor-class ship we saw, onscreen, in that episode, was an actual Cardassian ship which was crewed BY Cardassians. And the only thing we saw it attack, was the Argus Array, in one of the alternate realities. (This is not the same reality as the one where the Bajorans destroyed the Array - the reality we're talking about here. In that, we only heard that the Bajorans destroyed the Array. We didn't see them do it.)