Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 19 2013, 03:44 PM   #1
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
iTunes to MP4

Is there an easy way to convert movies/videos purchased through iTunes to MP4? I have a couple that I would like to be able to watch on my tablet, but it plays only MP4 format for videos.

I did a search, but didn't find anything on the site about this. I also tried googling, but the results on the first page were all pointing to software I'd need to pay tons of money to get. That's a pain in the heiny and wallet.
Old April 19 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: iTunes to MP4

google "itunes to mp4 converter,etc" again and search long enough you'll find something free but maybe slightly dodgy eventually

apple really are irritatingly propriatary in everything

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Metryq
Captain

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I have a couple that I would like to be able to watch on my tablet, but it plays only MP4 format for videos.
I'm assuming your "tablet" is not an iPad? iTunes videos are MPEG4, but they are "protected" to play on only authorized Apple devices. (Thus, it is not a simple format problem.) iTMS music is no longer "protected," but the content owners still demand it for videos, so...

junxon wrote: View Post
apple really are irritatingly propriatary in everything
Don't blame Apple. Other services (and content providers and manufacturers, etc.) have their proprietary aspects, too. Why don't Android apps work on iPhones, or Amazon videos on Apple TV? Why can't I put diesel fuel in a gasoline car? That's proprietary! It's unfair!
Old April 20 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
Avon
Fleet Captain

the differences in diesel and petrol burning engines are not there arbitrarily. they specifically need to burn different fuels to work. apple doesn't have to make all their filetypes different to work with their system. it's not just apple that does it though. all companies that do it are pricks.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Metryq
Captain

junxon wrote: View Post
apple doesn't have to make all their filetypes different to work with their system.
You're still missing the point. iTMS videos are MPEG4—not some Apple proprietary file type. The content creators want DRM protection, and Apple can control only their own software and hardware. A given user can "authorize" a certain number of computers and other devices to play that content.

Apple is typically very open, using common file types that will work anywhere. This dates back to the company's beginnings. The AAC audio sold through iTMS (which, again, is no longer protected by FairPlay) is MPEG4 audio, a later generation of MP3, although some detractors will erroneously call it "Apple's audio format."

Apple's iWork suite of tools can read and write MS Office formats—which are proprietary to another company. (OpenOffice is another option.) Many apps on different platforms will read and write common file types even though each app may have its own proprietary "project" format. For example, Apple Final Cut, Adobe Premiere and After Effects, and Avid's editors all read and write a common set of video formats, even though they have proprietary project formats.

Apple got smart and made the iTunes app available on Windows as well as Mac. Similarly, Amazon made Kindle software available on numerous platforms because it was in their own interest—they're primarily a content seller, not a hardware manufacturer.

I routinely work with multiple platforms, and sometimes must convert document formats—but never because of platform. Anyone who makes a claim such as the above quote is either misinformed, or has some ulterior agenda.
Old April 21 2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I heard Apple attempted to lift DRM when they did it for MP3 and were not able to. No one else has non-DRM video either that I'm aware of, Amazon, etc.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21 2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

They've done it to a point. At least they let people copy music onto cds and then are able to listen to them on ipods. Can't listen to certain songs on Spotify due to DRM. At least Apple isn't such a pain about that. Understand and respect artist's rights, but something's gotta give there.

I'm not a huge fan of itunes, but I'll give them that much. It isn't as much of a hassle as it is on some other music applications. Second best, imo, is Windows Music Player.
Old April 21 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ Don't have to copy music to CDs, iTunes audio is DRM free, has been for a while.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:20 AM   #9
Random_Spock
Commodore

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ Don't have to copy music to CDs, iTunes audio is DRM free, has been for a while.
That's cool. Only problem I've run into are some songs that I used to have on my old ipod won't play on my new one due to being password protected now . So now to getting that rectified .

On the other hand, can't play some songs on Spotify due to being covered by DRM.