Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 25 2013, 02:24 PM   #31
Bumbles861
Admiral

Re: They let me go....

^ I firmly believe that being laid off after 31 years at a company is a blatant attempt by the company to avoid making some sort of payment - like a pension. I am glad he found other work.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:54 PM   #32
indolover
Fleet Captain

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Wow! Just...wow! After thirteen years they let me and Cipra (another fella in my department), both full-timers, go from Future Shop. It at least puts to rest any thought of maybe having done something wrong. But some serious realignments in the company have cost us our jobs. Just...wow! I wish them luck in maintaining staff morale and filling our shoes. Now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do.

I went in like usual and began my routine. Then the GM ducked his head in and asked to see me. He said he needed me for something. When I get into the office my antenna was up and I sensed something was amiss. All he'd say was that the company was making changes and my services were no longer required. I learned later that a couple of others were let go as well.

A beautiful sunny day and what a way to start it. At least my (former) GM had the decency to look genuinely upset about it. He took pains to assure me it had nothing to do with my performance or anything else related to my service, that it was just a business decision made from above and out of his hands. He tried to reassure me that he considered me a friend and one of his very best workers, but there was nothing he could do.

Great news coming on the heels of learning my father has esophagus cancer and what he is facing in the coming months.
nobody owes you a job.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 03:05 PM   #33
Warped9
Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
Wow! Just...wow! After thirteen years they let me and Cipra (another fella in my department), both full-timers, go from Future Shop. It at least puts to rest any thought of maybe having done something wrong. But some serious realignments in the company have cost us our jobs. Just...wow! I wish them luck in maintaining staff morale and filling our shoes. Now I gotta figure out what I'm going to do.

I went in like usual and began my routine. Then the GM ducked his head in and asked to see me. He said he needed me for something. When I get into the office my antenna was up and I sensed something was amiss. All he'd say was that the company was making changes and my services were no longer required. I learned later that a couple of others were let go as well.

A beautiful sunny day and what a way to start it. At least my (former) GM had the decency to look genuinely upset about it. He took pains to assure me it had nothing to do with my performance or anything else related to my service, that it was just a business decision made from above and out of his hands. He tried to reassure me that he considered me a friend and one of his very best workers, but there was nothing he could do.

Great news coming on the heels of learning my father has esophagus cancer and what he is facing in the coming months.
nobody owes you a job.
Thanks. How comforting. They tossed me aside after thirteen years of commitment and effort and good service as well as a wealth of experience and put in place a twenty-two year old without a quarter of that. They made such a move without bothering to ask whether I was willing to make a change within a new setup. Fuck 'em, and by them I mean those faceless higher-ups who have been displaying a recurring habit of stupid thinking for quite some time now.

Loyalty and fairness runs two ways.

Last edited by Warped9; April 25 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:05 PM   #34
sonak
Vice Admiral

this is why we need unions. There's no incentive for a company NOT to let employees with a lot of years in go otherwise.

I know teachers that have been let go after 20-25 years because hey, they can hire somebody younger for less pay, so why not?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:09 PM   #35
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Thanks. How comforting. They tossed me aside after thirteen years of commitment and effort and good service as well as a wealth of experience and put in place a twenty-two year old without a quarter of that. They made such a move without bothering to ask whether I was willing to make a change within a new setup. Fuck 'em, and by them I mean those faceless higher-ups who have been displaying a recurring habit of stupid thinking for quite some time now.

This might sound silly, but I believe a company should be more than just a money factory for it's shareholders. Corporations become part of the community, they bring jobs, and opportunity. A person who works many years of their life to ensure the company makes a profit shouldn't simply be dropped after so long and told 'good luck, kid!' as if you have all the time in the world to start over.

Like you, I believe loyalty should be rewarded. Employees come cheap, but good employees are rare and should be treasured; and it seems the popular trend in any large business is to ignore that, and to treat employees like nameless, faceless, interchangeable parts.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

nobody owes you a job.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:11 PM   #37
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses

nobody owes you a job.

Infraction for trolling.
You got banned from TNZ for trolling, so why on Earth would you assume that you could get away with it on the rest of the board where the rules are far more strict? Knock it off. Comments to PM.
Old April 25 2013, 05:36 PM   #38
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I will just comment on what you said without referencing the comment that prompted it.

First, you shouldn't read the rest of this comment if you are feeling very upset or emotional right now, because you won't be in the right mind to take this in the spirit with which it is given.

These decisions are almost always made in a completely bottom-line manner. Your experience, loyalty, and hard work are not represented on a balance sheet. Only your costs--your salary, benefits, etc.--are. It's not fair, and it's not a complete picture of what you are actually worth to the company, but when there is a budget crunch and the company needs to fix the balance sheet, cutting people is a quick and easy way to do that. Unfortunately, people who have been with the company a long time are often the first to go, because they are the most expensive.

Second, experience is not worth as much as people think it is, either to the company where you gained it or future employers. The bulk of what you learned in your 13 years there will likely be picked up by your replacement in 6-12 months, assuming there is a substantial amount of complexity entailed in the position. In other words, many years of experience translates into a large amount of redundancy.

As your boss told you, it was a business decision, not a personal one, and it sounds like it was made by people who don't even know you. That's pretty common, and there's another important lesson in there: you cannot expect loyalty from an employer. You just can't. Even if your boss loves you, they can't do much if upper management has opted for across-the-board cuts. No matter what you've contributed to the company, again, you represent an expense that's taking a chunk out of the bottom line. What you brought to the company over the past 13 years means little in the face of what you cost the company today, tomorrow, next month, next year, etc.

Losing your job can be very painful. I went through the same thing. There's a grieving process involved. Eventually, you will make peace with it, or it will drive you crazy.

If and when you decide to go looking for another job, think about the diversity of experiences you had at Future Shop and any previous employers. What skills did you learn and how did you apply them to various situations? The job market's changed quite a bit over the past 13 years, and a quality that's sought now more than ever is versatility. Don't sell yourself as having done the same job reliably for a long period. Nobody wants that, nobody cares about that. They want to hear how you learned, grew, changed, and adapted over that period. That is a huge part of success in today's job market: demonstrating that you have the ability to dive into something new and aren't afraid to change.

What happened to you isn't fair, but it happens to a whole lot of people. There's also nothing you can do to change it. All you can do is decide how to move forward. As I said in an earlier post, try to view this as an opportunity rather than a rejection or a tragedy. You are no longer tied to this company. No one owns you. What do you want to do now?

I apologize if the above sounds like a lecture or something. You can take it for what it's worth. Most of it is stuff I wish people had told me back when I lost my job and didn't know what to do. If it's stuff you already knew, then great! If you got some guidance from it, then I'm glad. If none of it appeals to you, then at least you got my buck fifty about it.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 12:40 AM   #39
Ho Ho Homeier
Vice Admiral

I worked for a major long-distane company 8 or 9 years, survived 3 corporate and district layoffs, and finally got the boot less than a year after they absorbed another company (whose employees were guaranteed their jobs). The severance package was good. It did give me some small comfort that a few years later, they themselves had some big financial scandal and were absorbed by another company. Now they exist in name only as a subsidiary.
Old April 27 2013, 06:05 AM   #40
propita
Rear Admiral

Good luck, Warped9!

I was 16 years in an aerospace company, then got laid off. Well, I was on stress leave and Hubby was being recruited, so I volunteered--but I would've been among the chosen anyway. Yeah, it was weird to be unemployed, especially since I had made it through EIGHT YEARS of layoffs and 4 companies--the original, which got sold, and then sold, and then partially sold to a subsidiary.

That was 13 years ago. I am currently a homemaker, taking care of Hubby and the house, so he can focus on his stressful job--and us, of course. That's after going back to school for my BA and then JD.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:58 AM   #41
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I'm very sorry to hear this, Warped9. I was at my last job about fourteen years, so I know how you feel; since I quit over "irreconcilable differences," I left with a mixture of relief and grief, but it was certainly disorienting and very stressful starting a new career quite different from the old one. It's nice that you have a six-month buffer to work on your next move. You should just take some time to decompress. Look at it as an opportunity to be with your dad. I wish the best for both of you.
Old April 28 2013, 03:15 AM   #42
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

I lost my job in 2006 and i was jobless for a year. I understand what you are going through right now. For a man to lose his job, that hurts his pride. You were fortunate in getting a severance package. I did not get anything.

May i suggest while you job hunt. hit the gym in your spare time. I did that and i was bloody ripped within a year that even the girls who did not notice me before, started noticing me. When you go for a job interview, your fit and tough body image makes you look very capable.

Last edited by EmoBorg; April 28 2013 at 03:28 AM.
EmoBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:14 AM   #43
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

^being ripped isn't the right reason...most interviewers won't give a shit...

To the OP- best of luck
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:27 AM   #44
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

Finn wrote: View Post
^being ripped isn't the right reason...most interviewers won't give a shit...

To the OP- best of luck
I am saying a fit body image just helps with the interview process. But in the end your skills and work experience are more important.
Old April 28 2013, 11:36 AM   #45
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

^Stature, posture and not being too obese yes, but not being ripped. Your comment-"tough and fit" implied that.
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote