Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 27 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

Teen Titans Go!

So, did anyone else try this? I only lasted about 5 minutes before I moved on. The humor just wasn't working for me. But I haven't cared most of the "funny" DC Nation shorts either.
Old April 27 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Re: Teen Titans Go!

I'd like to see it but I don't get cable. (Or any channels, actually.) I was a pretty big fan of the Teen Titan's show from the early 2000's, which I understand this is based off of. Is there no serious character development or action in this one at all, then?
Old April 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #3
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It's essentially Teen Titans for very little kids with little cute character designs to match, although some fans of the original series may also get a kick out of it. There's action, but slapstick humor is the main ingredient, IMO.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...ns_510x317.jpg
Old April 27 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
Is there no serious character development or action in this one at all, then?
There's action and character interplay, but in a comedic context. Basically it's like the most comical parts of the old show without the more serious parts. The first segment had some big action sequences but for a comical reason (and in a much more cartoony mode than in the old show), and the second had a supervillain subplot going on in the background while the characters were preoccupied with their personal/relationship issues.

I liked the first segment, which made me laugh a number of times. The second segment (which, interestingly, was written by Batman Beyond's lead actor Will Friedle) was more weird and offbeat and didn't appeal to my sense of humor. I suspect that, like the original show, it's going to be a mixed bag.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I tried to give it a fair shot but it just reminds me of many cartoon properties, something like Johnny Test or Gumball, and there's plenty of those other properties to render this superfluous. I don't think there's anything that plays to the unique strengths of being a superhero property. If you were watching Green Lantern or Young Justice before and not Johnny Test or Gumball, I'm not sure why you'd watch this.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
JD
Admiral

I went from this to Adventure Time, and I'm sorry but I really thought this paled in comparison.
Old April 28 2013, 03:13 AM   #7
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

I tried to like this, but I couldn't. This is what we lost Young Justice for? It's just a pale imitation of the old Teen Titans cartoon, without any of what made that show good. Not even jokes about Raven being a closet Brony could save it for me.
Old April 28 2013, 03:33 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I tried to like this, but I couldn't. This is what we lost Young Justice for?
I very much doubt it, because it was in production well before YJ was cancelled. It takes a very long time to make an animated show, after all.

Is it as good as past DC animated shows? No. But is it a mildly entertaining way to pass the time? Maybe. One episode and two stories in, I'm finding it about 50-50. Might be worth checking out occasionally.

Not even jokes about Raven being a closet Brony could save it for me.
I don't think you can use "Brony" for girls (it's "bro" + "pony"). Anyway, I got a mild chuckle out of the in-joke of a Tara Strong character liking a pastiche of a show starring Tara Strong. (And I think she was voicing one of the Pony pastiche characters too.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:37 AM   #9
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

It may have been in production before, but it's essentially the replacement, so it stings.

Brony is acceptable for use to refer to both male and female fans. Though sometimes, Pegasister is used instead. I chose Brony because it's the more recognizable term outside of the fandom.