Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 143 19.32%
A 160 21.62%
A- 99 13.38%
B+ 82 11.08%
B 58 7.84%
B- 27 3.65%
C+ 40 5.41%
C 38 5.14%
C- 24 3.24%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.73%
Voters: 740. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2013, 01:38 AM   #616
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
[
You realise, of course, that for the first four seasons, Wil Wheaton got more fan mail than anyone else, followed by Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner.
Well, you're counting all those doctored packets of Kool-aid sent in by fans, aren't you?

(honestly didn't know that about Wheaton. Can't imagine it being the TEEN BEAT/TIGER BEAT crowd, and everybody else was doing the 'ways to waste Wesley' game. But I remember really loving that near-subjective moment when Picard lets him get close to the chair in FARPOINT - in fact, it might be the only moment I enjoy in FARPOINT.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:53 AM   #617
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

trevanian wrote: View Post
Can't imagine it being the TEEN BEAT/TIGER BEAT crowd
Apparently it was buoyed by them, yes.

everybody else was doing the 'ways to waste Wesley' game.
Which the young Wheaton found extremely hard to reconcile.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:58 AM   #618
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Franklin wrote: View Post
Since the topic is wavering, anyway (WHERE ARE THOSE SPOILERS, PEOPLE?!), there were some great stories in all Trek series, but exactly what were the episodes of TOS (or TNG) that actually "made one think" or were cerebral? The ones that transcended even a great episode of any other weekly drama or action-adventure show?
[snip]

I'm not trying to provoke an argument or set people up to flame their tastes, but honestly, what were the episodes that were not just good strories, but were cerebral and thought provoking? What's the list?
I would definitely put THE ENEMY WITHIN in there. The duality aspect with needing the negative to be a complete functional person was not something you'd see on DRAGNET or BEVERLY HILLBILLIES or even TWILIGHT ZONE, AFAIK. It's actually a notion and episode that has come back to me unbidden many times when I'm trying to figure out if being altruistic and ethical is really holding me back in certain ways. Shatner has represented the Matheson script (which presumably was worked over heavily by GR) as being just a JEKYLL & HYDE that they 'elevated' on set, which I choose not to believe, but however they got there, it worked.

Even though the rest of the ep is just a run of the mill hoot, PRIVATE LITTLE WAR's showdown between Kirk & McCoy over arming the villagers was good, and perhaps it was downright amazing given that VietNam was still only getting out of hand; the episode's coda where Kirk just gives up on the situation and leaves is probably the TOS ending that sticks with me as much as ANY other. It's something TNG strove to duplicate with the end of SYMBIOSIS, but so much that went before in that ep was so unmemorable or embarrassing that Picard's "I don't care" as far as course setting, while it has a sting, just doesn't come close to "Serpents ... serpents for the garden of Eden. We're very tired - beam us up home."

For the 'thought-provoking' category, I'll submit an odd one: BREAD&CIRCUSES. This is practically postmodernism before the term was even mainstream, what with all those throwaway insults about TV ratings and the proconsul's "oh but there's that prime directive in the way again!" It's probably as close to eavesdropping on a Coon / GR conversation as we'll ever get.

WHO MOURNS FOR ADONAIS as well; Von Daniken wasn't in the domestic consciousness yet (that was early 70s after Serling narrated IN SEARCH OF ANCIENT ASTRONAUTS, and TREK predates that by 5 years), so the extraterrestrials as gods notion was just magical to me when I first heard it (and probably why I like RETURN TO TOMORROW as well, though when I was younger I could not be in the room during the 'risk is our business' speech ... now I relish it, but I could only see the ham in it initially, not the steak.)

I'm doing this on the fly, but if I get back here in the next couple of days, I'll probably have a few more thoughts along these lines. In the meantime youse can tear me one over the above comments.
Old April 28 2013, 02:01 AM   #619
trevanian
Rear Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Can't imagine it being the TEEN BEAT/TIGER BEAT crowd
Apparently it was buoyed by them, yes.

everybody else was doing the 'ways to waste Wesley' game.
Which the young Wheaton found extremely hard to reconcile.
I imagine after a few years it probably became the old John Wayne story about him doing Shakespeare to laughter and then shouting 'hey I didn't write this shit.' It was like shooting the messenger (or fish in a fishbowl) to pick on Wheaton.
Old April 28 2013, 02:03 AM   #620
Ryan8bit
Commodore

You realise, of course, that for the first four seasons, Wil Wheaton got more fan mail than anyone else, followed by Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner.
I actually didn't mind Wesley and liked his character, probably because he and I are about the same age. But I understand there is a ton of vitriol toward his character. Wheaton himself even understands this and uses it to his benefit for comedic purpose. So given all that, why the know-it-all attitude?
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:06 AM   #621
trevanian
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
throwback wrote: View Post
I see JJ Abrams as the servant of the corporations.
So were Gene Roddenberry and Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer and Rick Berman. You have to make product that studios are willing to invest money in.
Man I hate seeing Berman's name included in with those others.

You can work for 'the man' without being his perpetually bent-over bitch, y'know. At least for awhile.

Meyer wasn't hired to deliver a mainstream TREK, or a corporate vision, and he wasn't there to please the fans either. It was always, 'this is my vision - it is what I like about TREK, and if I didn't like something, then I'd omit it or change it.' There wasn't an apology about it like saying this is a different reality than was seen in the series or the previous movie, no creative ass-covering to justify a reboot as might be the case with another doing TREK in a different century.
Old April 28 2013, 02:10 AM   #622
Anduril
Captain

So has anyone found out how the movie ends?
Old April 28 2013, 02:14 AM   #623
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Therin, I saw TMP when it opened in '79 and I felt the same way. I'd been waiting for years for new Trek, and there it was on the big screen. I was right in the middle of the film, soaking up every second of it. Though it didn't quite hit the mark, it was Trek and it was new. Every time I watch the movie it takes me right back to that place.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend did not appreciate the experience and that was pretty much the end of that. Ah, well. Life goes on.
There was a girl named Karol Bell in highschool that I was really crazy about. Was just about to ask her out when she finally saw CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (this would have been 6-7 months after it came out, just before senior year ended in 78.) I was very excited and asked if she liked it.

She went on about how much she enjoyed the movie (my heart racing faster & faster with every affirmative; I'd seen it several times and talked it up to her after every viewing), but ...

She concluded by saying the only thing she didn't like was the ending, because she could not understand why anyone would ever CHOOSE to get on that ship.

SNAP.

Never asked her out; even with a statistically improbable instance of her actually running into me with her shopping cart at a market neither of us frequented months later, nothing could happen. She just didn't get it.

But she was really really hot.
Old April 28 2013, 03:01 AM   #624
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Rothschild wrote: View Post
Yes.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:05 AM   #625
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Yes.
Kirk inherits the chocolate factory and moves his entire family in.

Wait, that's right right?
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:44 AM   #626
section9
Commander

There is this brutal bit of insurgent warfare breaking out on the Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness hashtags on tumblr. Seems some people in Britain and the U.S. have found that a "White Englishman" is playing a Desi Sikh and that's not going down too well among some folks in 2013.

Expect this controversy to start growing over the next week. I'm not sure how big it will get, but some alluded to it earlier when they charged that JJ was engaged in "whitewashing" with Khan's character.

Just FYI.
Old April 28 2013, 03:45 AM   #627
section9
Commander

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
Yes.
Kirk inherits the chocolate factory and moves his entire family in.

Wait, that's right right?
Too bad the Oompa-Loompas all go running off to join Khan's insurgency.
Old April 28 2013, 03:48 AM   #628
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Khan realizes that all the crewmembers of the Enterprise Express teamed up to commit the murder.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:51 AM   #629
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

section9 wrote: View Post
Expect this controversy to start growing over the next week. I'm not sure how big it will get...
Trivial.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:10 AM   #630
section9
Commander

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
section9 wrote: View Post
Expect this controversy to start growing over the next week. I'm not sure how big it will get...
Trivial.
You'd be surprised. I happen to agree with you, but there are people who are somewhat put off by this who don't get why Cumby was cast in the first place.