Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 26 2013, 10:21 PM   #16
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Abrams: Star Trek Maybe

Danger Ace wrote: View Post

I also question why should one person (regardless of who that person is) be put in control of the two biggest space-opera franchises?
Has the hypothetical one person in question actually been put in such a position, though, or has he merely been hired to direct a single picture (written and produced by others not of his own selection) in one franchise while continuing to carry out his job as producer (with option to direct) of a set of films in the other?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 11:11 PM   #17
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

I'd like to see
Bryan Singer
Jose Whedon
Zak Snyder
Jon Favreau
Take a stab at Trek. And if we want to go old school bring back Jonathan Frakes. He still directs.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Joss Whedon would indeed be an awesome choice, although I doubt they could afford him these days, what with him being the director with the highest grossing movie of all time not named James Cameron.

Another good choice would be Duncan Jones. Both Moon and Source Code were excellent films featuring both science fiction elements that are compatible with Trek, some great moments of pathos, and probably the best lead performance that either Sam Rockwell or Jake Gyllenhaal have ever given.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 12:58 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
“Hey, it wouldn’t be Star Trek if there weren’t some hot young actors, women and men, in various moments of either undress or flirtation.”
Have we all forgotten William Ware Theiss's stock-in-trade, throughout TOS - and even TNG Season One?
Or shirtless Kirk in several episodes. People who want to disavow Star Trek's use of sex (appeal) puzzle me. Abrams is correct in saying that attractive people in skimpy clothes (or lack there of) flirting is part of Star Trek. Especially TOS.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 02:34 AM   #20
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Star Trek was all but dead and buried until JJ Abrams via Bad Robot took the reigns. Now Star Trek is popular and profitable. Disney, who now owns Star Wars, recognized this fact and asked JJ Abrams to direct SW7.

Disney wants their new property to be as popular and profitable as Star Trek... yes, Star Trek is now a role model for another franchise. It is good to be a Trekkie these days!
Old April 27 2013, 03:46 AM   #21
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Ovation wrote: View Post
I'd love a Tarantino Trek, but if people think Abrams et al. have strayed too far from the "Roddenberry vision thing", well…
And "those people" puzzle me.

The most unique, rare feature of the "Star Trek" franchise is that it was purposely crafted to be able to tell any story one could imagine - why in hell do "those people" want to shackle it to some nebulous ideal?

I'd like to see Matthew Vaughan try his hand at it. But I'm happy with what Abrams is doing so far, so no rush to pass it off to someone else.
I don't know that name (Mathew Vaughan), but I would be open to him or anyone else.
Vaughan directed X-Men: First Class, among other things, and was quite successful with his take on classic characters as their younger selves (and the casting was good for this scenario--so similarities with Trek). His visual aesthetic differs enough from Abrams so that he would not be a carbon copy, but he appears capable of refreshing and respecting an existing set of characters.

As for Abrams and Star Wars--he's a hired gun. He's not running the whole operation like he is with Trek at the moment.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:12 AM   #22
TheCutestofBorg
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I personally would have liked to have seen Peter Jackson direct Star Trek or even better Star Wars. Having recently watched the "hobbit" extras on Blu-Ray and seeing how his style is so close to George Lucas during the OT. I think he would have done a terrific job. It seems he believes in real sets and I like that.
TheCutestofBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:19 AM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I believe Abrams is a fan of real sets as well.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old April 27 2013, 06:12 AM   #24
Agent Richard07
Admiral

RollTide1017 wrote: View Post
I never understood the mindset that just because he signed on for Star Wars then he couldn't do Star Trek. It will be 3 to 4 years before the next Trek movie comes out, plenty of time for him to do both.
I'm guessing 3 years. Trek's 50th anniversary is in 2016 and I'm sure Paramount will want something out.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 07:50 AM   #25
donners22
Commodore

Gee, with his succinct summation of what he feels makes "Star Trek" so relevant and enduring, “Hey, it wouldn’t be Star Trek if there weren’t some hot young actors, women and men, in various moments of either undress or flirtation.”

Wow, I got my fingers crossed ... not.

Hey, it's better than Bryan Burk who thinks Star Trek is people standing around talking at a screen.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager

Last edited by donners22; April 27 2013 at 12:18 PM.
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:32 AM   #26
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I believe Abrams is a fan of real sets as well.
Yep.
The Enterprise interiors are all interconnected real sets to give just one example. Bridge, corridors and everything.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:38 PM   #27
Danger Ace
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Has the hypothetical one person in question actually been put in such a position, though, or has he merely been hired to direct a single picture (written and produced by others not of his own selection) in one franchise while continuing to carry out his job as producer (with option to direct) of a set of films in the other?
Well, if you are coyly referring to J.J. Abrams and "Star Wars" then I would really appreciate a citation of source that says he will have no input or voice in the creative aspects of the film (including editing and aesthetics not to mention script developement) because I really can't imagine him showing up for work like some Fred Flintstone and just punching -in and -out.

I mean, if he is going to be so "hands off" then why hire him? Disney wouldn't, they want that "Abrams touch" - which boils back down to him bringing the same bag-of-tricks to "Star Wars" that he brought to "Star Trek."

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Star Trek was all but dead and buried until JJ Abrams via Bad Robot took the reigns. Now Star Trek is popular and profitable. Disney, who now owns Star Wars, recognized this fact and asked JJ Abrams to direct SW7.
On one hand I appreciate Abrams work on and role in reviving "Star Trek," BUT on the other I firmly believe many others could have accomplished similar magic. Paramount's generous allowance of time and resources was the single biggest reason for Trek's revival. If they had appraoched Insurrection, Nemesis and Enterprise with the same attitude then the franchise wouldn't have even needed reviving.

Disney wants their new property to be as popular and profitable as Star Trek... yes, Star Trek is now a role model for another franchise. It is good to be a Trekkie these days!
The last Trek film brought in something like $385 million worldwide while the last Star Wars film did roughly $850 million worldwide - meaning if the Star Wars, Ep. VII did Trek (2009) business then it would be deemed a major, major disappointment.

Box office numbers via Box Office Mojo

Ovation wrote: View Post
As for Abrams and Star Wars--he's a hired gun. He's not running the whole operation like he is with Trek at the moment.
I am from a time that mistrusts too much power in too few hands. A time that had strict limits on media ownership so as to prevent only select voices from shouting down and distorting the perceptions of the masses. I've seen the effects of those restrictions being loosened and then done away with. All the dire predictions of which largely coming to pass. I would simply hate for "Star Trek" becoming the latest example of history repeating itself.

Again, we are for the most part the sum total of our experiences. For me, it causes worry to see things get reduced to the same few people and companies. Just as I hate to see all things get boiled down to the same common denominators. No insult or offense intended, just an opinion.
Old April 27 2013, 11:52 PM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I am from a time that mistrusts too much power in too few hands. A time that had strict limits on media ownership so as to prevent only select voices from shouting down and distorting the perceptions of the masses. I've seen the effects of those restrictions being loosened and then done away with. All the dire predictions of which largely coming to pass. I would simply hate for "Star Trek" becoming the latest example of history repeating itself.
Um, we're talking about a guy who makes movies, not the guy in charge of the studio/network/publishing house. Abrams making Star Trek and Star Wars is not going to turn him into Rupert Murdoch.
Old April 28 2013, 01:14 AM   #29
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Well, if you are coyly referring to J.J. Abrams and "Star Wars"
Was I being coy, or was I doing no more than alluding to the same "one person" about whom you had only just been expressing so much concern?

...then I would really appreciate a citation of source that says he will have no input or voice in the creative aspects of the film (including editing and aesthetics not to mention script developement[sic]) because I really can't imagine him showing up for work like some Fred Flintstone and just punching -in and -out.

I mean, if he is going to be so "hands off" then why hire him? Disney wouldn't, they want that "Abrams touch" - which boils back down to him bringing the same bag-of-tricks to "Star Wars" that he brought to "Star Trek."
Ah, that lovely "creak" of goalposts moving. Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone should be expected to provide a citation of source proving anything at all in response to someone who seems to have no compunction whatsoever about freely lobbing unsupportable rhetorical spitballs such as "why should one person... be put in control...?"
I also question why should one person... be put in control of the two biggest space-opera franchises?
or "so why put it all in one person's hands... ?"
...so why put it all in one person's hands, to have both seen through just one set of eyes, to be given just one voice?
or "one person needlessly being given a creative monopoly"
It is a question of one person needlessly being given a creative monoply[sic] by virtue of having the reigns[sic] of the two biggest science-fiction franchises going.
or "cornering any market"
I would hope people would argue against anyone cornering any market. Would we want only one conglomerate making all the movies? All the news? All the ... anything?
Aren't you more or less obligated to provide support for your own sound and fury first before demanding that any responders prove you wrong? You could begin by making a solid argument for your contention that Abrams is being given complete control of the "Star Wars" franchise; with that as a foundation, the rest ought to be a piece of cake.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:36 AM   #30
Danger Ace
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Um, we're talking about a guy who makes movies, not the guy in charge of the studio/network/publishing house. Abrams making Star Trek and Star Wars is not going to turn him into Rupert Murdoch.
Um, same difference, same principles at play, therefore it is an error on your part to try and minimalize things in order to invalidate or disprove my thesis because it doesn't. I went from big picture to small, but going from small to big works just as well in the making of my point.

My point has not been about Abrams being on par with a Rupert Murdoch or Studio Chief or CEO of a media conglom. It is about his bringing the same POV, perspective, tastes, sensibilities, back-of-tricks to two members of the same genre. It is about his being a footsoldier in the army of an industry that is forever looking to reduce things to a formula by which to homogenize.

Sadly, it is one of those things that if a person (or persons)can't grasp or forsee the magnitude or danger of then it is hard to educate them into at least understanding the concepts and ideas being discussed.