Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS"
Geronimo! 39 33.05%
Good 46 38.98%
Average 24 20.34%
Not worth salvaging 7 5.93%
This episode should have stayed in the center of the TARDIS 2 1.69%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 27 2013, 10:34 PM   #31
StCoop
Commodore

Re: 7X10 Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS(Grading/Discussion)(SPOIL

Pindar wrote: View Post
Doesn't it mean council house and a van?
No.

And as someone who grew up in a household with virtually no money left once bills were paid, who almost never had new clothes and never went on a holiday beyond staying in a relative's caravan in the country I get slightly ticked off at the Right-Wing portrayal of anyone who's not well-off as workshy scum.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:36 PM   #32
StCoop
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Both the production team and Billie Piper refer to Rose as a chav.
That's a lie.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:37 PM   #33
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
That's a lie.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/do...of-a-chav.html
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:38 PM   #34
Avon
Fleet Captain

the stretchyskinface woman called her a chav once.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

That's a lie.
She does get called a chav by Cassandra though.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:42 PM   #36
Relayer1
Commodore

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Three out of five. Didn't really live up to its potential, and the guest actors couldn't act their ways out of a real police box. The setup seems very contrived (salvage ship beats up star-powered time/space machine). Might have worked if the TARDIS had set the whole thing up to get Clara into that room with the book, but the reset button would seem to have negated that (although it occurs to me that the salvage crew seemed to have an inkling of memory of events that were deleted and wouldn't have happened yet anyway, so maybe Clara the time-traveller remembers the incident with the book in some way).

I would have liked an old console room or two. Surely the console replica from An Adventure In Space And Time could have been utilised, even if against a CGI background. It would have made more sense than that "echo room" stuff.

Anyway, nice to see the Eye Of Harmony referenced and explained a bit. (As suspected, the term appears to be a religious or quasi-religious name for a particular state of a former star rather than a unique object, though I had imagined that the term referred to a singularity. Still, a star on the knife-edge of collapse is a pretty good solution.)

Can we take from this that the Doctor's original name is relatively short and not absurd? That was the impression that I got. Clara's reading of the book immediately put me in mind of a scene from the very first episode, where Susan opens a book that she's been given/lent and almost instantly notices a factual error. Maybe a homage, maybe a hint, maybe nothing at all. Also, perhaps I missed something, but I'm wondering how she knew that the passage must specifically refer to the Doctor. In any case, the fact that there was a reference to the Doctor's original name suggests that the title of the season finale refers to exactly that.
Pretty much nails it. Dullest 'maze' of corridors imaginable', a real lack of interesting rooms glimpsed, and haven't you got any old control rooms knocking around anywhere ?

Totally missed opportunity....
Old April 27 2013, 10:43 PM   #37
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

And why not stick some props that relate back more than a couple of years in there? At one point Clara picks up an umbrella. Why not use a multi-coloured one or one with a Question Mark handle?
They did, that is one of Seven's umbrellas.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:45 PM   #38
Konata Izumi
Commander

Especially in Series 4, I think the show glorified the stupidity of the companion too much.
"OOOoo I'm thick! Thick-thick-thickety-thick!"
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:47 PM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

And back to the episode... what did you guys think of the Doctor's self-destruct deal? Maybe the reveal of that should've coincided with that of the brother and made some kind of statement. I know the Doctor can be manipulative but to con these guys with that as well as the salvage seemed a bit nasty.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:50 PM   #40
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
"OOOoo I'm thick! Thick-thick-thickety-thick!"
Is that an actual Donna quote? I tried rewatching Series 4 last year and failed about 20 minutes in to Partners in Crime, after having just barely endured Voyage of the Damned.

Clara hasn't floored me or anything but nothing about her annoys me yet other than some of the flirty dialogue like "Snog box!" or whatever. In Cold War she was fucking brilliant, which is odd as Mark Gatiss failed disastrously when writing Amy in Victory of the Daleks.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
And back to the episode... what did you guys think of the Doctor's self-destruct deal? Maybe the reveal of that should've coincided with that of the brother and made some kind of statement. I know the Doctor can be manipulative but to con these guys with that as well as the salvage seemed a bit nasty.
I thought when he first claimed to have activated it that it'd be funny if he was just lying so I felt like a mild comedic genius when my idea turned out to be what happened.

I like manipulative Doctor. Reminded me of the Seventh Doctor .
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:55 PM   #41
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Well, they were nasty first, perfectly fine with possibly killing whoever was onboard the TARDIS with their beam. This Doctor is more of an asshole than his predecessors although Ten also had a dark, vengeful streak at times (e.g. how he punished the family in "Human Nature/Family of Blood")

And on a different note is anyone else fed up that the Doctor and Clara converse almost completely in One-Liners?
I'm more fed up with how Clara spelled out what she was thinking instead of showing it.

However, I voted "good". It was an exciting episode with some cleverness thrown in. The visuals were amazing. There were some odd cuts in the episode but I have a feeling they will have some meaning in hindsight.

Also, in the beginning of the episode, during the scene where the brothers look at the salvaged TARDIS we see a pair of boots sticking out from under the trash. But those weren't the Doctor's. So, did I miss something or did I imagine something?
Old April 27 2013, 10:57 PM   #42
Lonemagpie
Writer

I thought it'd be funny if the machine-that-could-make-other-machines in the TARDIS had decided to one-up him and make a real self-destruct...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:01 PM   #43
Lonemagpie
Writer

Well, I doubt it's in the Oxford English Dictionary but I'd class Rose and Donna as chavy.
Nope, to be a true chav is a lifestyle choice, not a background upbringing as the tabloids would have us believe - and the main aspect of choosing chavness is choosing *not* to develop, *not* to improve onesself.

Since both Rose and Donna are very to go places, learn new stuff and generally improve themselves and their lot in life, that'd be the exact opposite of being a chav.

Their mothers, OTOH, are a different matter. (And, yes, Sylvia Noble in particular is meant to be middle-class, but she wants to stagnate, and Donna to stagnate, and that makes her a chav, IMO...)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:07 PM   #44
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I thought it was okay. Really thought we'd see a few more homages to previous console rooms but whatever. Didn't really mind the reset button.

LOL@the salvage team. The casting director seriously had an off day.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:09 PM   #45
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Felt as pointless as a certain 2009 continuity reset.
Nah, this reset wasn't nearly as "utterly essential to the property's continued survival" like that 2009 example you gave.