Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 27 2013, 09:16 AM   #91
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

^How about just Grammar Dictators?
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:36 AM   #92
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

How about Grammar Perfectionist?

As a writer myself, I love all the things that language can be tricked, cajoled, seduced and tortured into doing for me. And evolution is a wonderful thing. The strange changes of English over the centuries fascinate and entertain me and I do my best to incorporate that in my own work, even as I occasionally play the role of a gamma ray poking at the linguistic genes.

What I don't like is watching the de-evolution of language through ignorance. Whenever I see people wreck havoc with English, it makes me loose my mind.
Old April 27 2013, 12:47 PM   #93
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

^^^ May I assume that last sentence was written with deliberate irony?

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:01 PM   #94
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

This thread is awesome. Has anyone read "English: The Mother Tongue and How it got that way" by Bill Bryson? In it, he argues many of the same things people are arguing in this thread and makes some interesting observations. In it, I think he even makes a point in saying that before Chaucer, there weren't any rules, that there wasn't any standard, and so you could encounter many different spellings, and that the only sense of standard came when they had to write things down.

It's interesting how the language can evolve. Sometimes it's dialects widening their geography and getting more popular. In some cases, very secluded areas haven't had much change at all, like a certain part of Canada's eastcoast.

I've always found the evolution of language interesting, and I remember a TV show on PBS that I can't remember the name of, but was very interesting and entertaining.

The one pet peeve of mine, and I started seeing this in the mid 90's is the misappropriation of rouge for "rogue.", as in a rouge agent. I originally thought it was a misspelling, and maybe it still is, but I do see it very often and I find it annoying as I'm French-Canadian and know my French pretty well. Rouge = Red. If someone is "red", they're either red in the face, and if literally an agent wearing red, well, they'd stand out a bit much and not be very covert They might as well be a painted target. In French, rouge can also mean "lipstick".
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:03 PM   #95
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
thestrangequark; wrote:
English lost some useful and meaningful words. We lost thee, thou, thy, etc, which had more meaning than the simple you that replaced them, for example.
Thee, Thou and thy haven't been totally lost according to wikipedia.

It is used in parts of Northern England and by Scots

Now how widely it used, is open to debate.
Also used among some religious sects here in the States. And I wouldn't say they had more meaning so much as a slightly different meaning, being singular instead of plural.
Old April 27 2013, 10:11 PM   #96
MacLeod
Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post

The one pet peeve of mine, and I started seeing this in the mid 90's is the misappropriation of rouge for "rogue.", as in a rouge agent. I originally thought it was a misspelling, and maybe it still is, but I do see it very often and I find it annoying as I'm French-Canadian and know my French pretty well. Rouge = Red. If someone is "red", they're either red in the face, and if literally an agent wearing red, well, they'd stand out a bit much and not be very covert They might as well be a painted target. In French, rouge can also mean "lipstick".
Can't say I've ever come across that particualr misspelling, if I saw the word rouge I would think of the colour red. And It's been a long time since I learned a little French. Rogue and Rouge are two different words.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:26 PM   #97
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Can't say I've ever come across that particualr misspelling, if I saw the word rouge I would think of the colour red. And It's been a long time since I learned a little French. Rogue and Rouge are two different words.

Yep, definitely. That was my point.
Old April 27 2013, 10:30 PM   #98
marksound
Fleet Captain

Mobile devices have overtaken the internet. Predictive spelling, used as it is by most people, sucks ass. Pardon my frustration.

People are more concerned with getting their thoughts online than they are with being understood. Excuses like "language evolves, deal with it" or "stupid spell check" are just another way of saying "I don't care what you think. Look at me!" or "I can't spell my way out of a paper freaking bag, but look how smart I am!"

Just take the time to say what you mean without being pretentious (a near impossible task for a lot of Treknoids), and have a good time.

Row, row, row your boat ...
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 10:44 PM   #99
MacLeod
Admiral

Now I admit I'm not the world's greatest speller, I was always strong at Maths and Scicences, but even with predicitve text, I still try and make sure it's predicted the right word.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 01:29 AM   #100
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
thestrangequark; wrote:
English lost some useful and meaningful words. We lost thee, thou, thy, etc, which had more meaning than the simple you that replaced them, for example.
Thee, Thou and thy haven't been totally lost according to wikipedia.

It is used in parts of Northern England and by Scots

Now how widely it used, is open to debate.
Also used among some religious sects here in the States. And I wouldn't say they had more meaning so much as a slightly different meaning, being singular instead of plural.
Ritualistic use isn't the same as common use, though. Otherwise we could say that modern English still uses the noun->verb word order because people recite "With this ring I thee wed" at weddings. No one says, "I you kiss." Unless you're referring to more isolated sects like the Amish -- do they use those words in everyday language?

As to the meaning, a collective noun is a different meaning to a singular noun. Modern Standard English, with the exception of the regional Scots and Northern English noted, does not have a distinct word for plural 'you', as 'ye' once was. As I understand it, thee, thy, thou, etcetera, were also context-specific, in the same way that the use of vous and tu in French connote formality, or watishi, atashi, boku in Japanese (although those change depending on the speaker and not who is being spoken to). There is one exception I know of, which is the American southern plural you: y'all and all y'all. I'd be fascinated to learn of more exceptions, though!
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Mobile devices have overtaken the internet. Predictive spelling, used as it is by most people, sucks ass. Pardon my frustration.

People are more concerned with getting their thoughts online than they are with being understood. Excuses like "language evolves, deal with it" or "stupid spell check" are just another way of saying "I don't care what you think. Look at me!" or "I can't spell my way out of a paper freaking bag, but look how smart I am!"

Just take the time to say what you mean without being pretentious (a near impossible task for a lot of Treknoids), and have a good time.

Row, row, row your boat ...
This post is the most hilariously ironic thing I've read all day.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:16 AM   #101
Yoda
Rear Admiral

If you have any typing skills whatsoever you're better off disabling predictive text on your smartphone. Ever since I've killed that cursed interloper, my texts have been much improved. Occasionally, I'll mistype something and have a minor typo. But, that's a fuckton better than having the piece of shit make wholesale word substitutions that completely strip away intended meaning.

On older cellphones I did like T9 predictive text. It worked reasonably well once I rounded out its dictionary. Most importantly, it was extremely easy to switch to manual entry when it lost the plot.
Old April 28 2013, 05:05 AM   #102
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Ritualistic use isn't the same as common use, though. Otherwise we could say that modern English still uses the noun->verb word order because people recite "With this ring I thee wed" at weddings. No one says, "I you kiss." Unless you're referring to more isolated sects like the Amish -- do they use those words in everyday language?
Right, the Amish is who I was thinking of (and other similar groups like Old Order Mennonites and possibly Hutterites) that still use those words in common language. There's also some ritualistic-yet-everyday use (if that makes sense) among a certain segment of Quakers I know.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
As to the meaning, a collective noun is a different meaning to a singular noun. Modern Standard English, with the exception of the regional Scots and Northern English noted, does not have a distinct word for plural 'you', as 'ye' once was. As I understand it, thee, thy, thou, etcetera, were also context-specific, in the same way that the use of vous and tu in French connote formality, or watishi, atashi, boku in Japanese (although those change depending on the speaker and not who is being spoken to). There is one exception I know of, which is the American southern plural you: y'all and all y'all. I'd be fascinated to learn of more exceptions, though!
Well, "you" used to be the distinct word for plural "you" alongside "ye." Thee, thou, thy, etc. are all second-person singular , so unless I'm totally mistaken it's more that we lost a singular "you" and simply expanded the upper-class/formal and plural second-person pronoun to the singular and lower-class/informal as well. I've never been entirely clear on the thee/thou/thy rules, but yeah there's particular ways they were used as I understand.

Also... gahhhhhhh "all y'all".... gahhhhh. "Y'all" is perfectly good! And it's spelled "ain't," not "ai'nt"!!!! WARRRGARRBBBLLLLE /rant

Old April 28 2013, 05:09 AM   #103
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Interesting info regarding the Amish, Quakers, and Mennonites. I wondered if it might be one (or all) of those to whom you were referring -- thanks for sharing! I have some Quaker friends, but they speak in typical American English -- at least around me.

As to y'all and all y'all, y'all is for addressing a small group of people and all y'all is for addressing a large group of people!

View my art!
Old April 28 2013, 05:16 AM   #104
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
If you have any typing skills whatsoever you're better off disabling predictive text on your smartphone. Ever since I've killed that cursed interloper, my texts have been much improved. Occasionally, I'll mistype something and have a minor typo. But, that's a fuckton better than having the piece of shit make wholesale word substitutions that completely strip away intended meaning.

Haha yeah, definitely. I do have it disabled because I type faster without it anyway, and it's less distracting. Just yesterday, someone was asking me how to spell "bottle", and then a few moments go by and I say, "Better that than having the predictive text come up with "bootie". Because you so know it would.
Old April 28 2013, 05:23 AM   #105
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post

Haha yeah, definitely. I do have it disabled because I type faster without it anyway, and it's less distracting. Just yesterday, someone was asking me how to spell "bottle", and then a few moments go by and I say, "Better that than having the predictive text come up with "bootie". Because you so know it would.
I would never disable my autocorrect. One of the great joys in life is the hilarious non sequitur of autocorrect. I find the funny far outweighs the annoyance.

View my art!