A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 27 2013, 04:50 PM   #76
publiusr
Commodore

Re: Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
(Looks back over page) Wow, we've changed topic a few times by now and wandered remarkably far afield from the original topic. Anyone have anything else to say about TAS?
I like the TAS pastiches fine, but I wonder if the audio might be given to new animation attempts? There is so much audio from TOS and TAS one might even cobble together whole episodes (especially featuring new characters) while keeping the voices of the original cast.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:19 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

publiusr wrote: View Post
I like the TAS pastiches fine, but I wonder if the audio might be given to new animation attempts? There is so much audio from TOS and TAS one might even cobble together whole episodes (especially featuring new characters) while keeping the voices of the original cast.
People keep suggesting that, and the unspoken assumption there is that the quality of the audio is fundamentally better than the quality of the imagery. I disagree. The music is great, but it's very repetitive. The voice acting by Shatner and Kelley, and to some extent Nimoy, is lackadaisical and lifeless, and sometimes the audio quality for different voices is inconsistent because the actors recorded their lines at different facilities. And the sound effects all come from the limited library that Horta-Mahana Sound had to work with in the 1970s. Sure, the animation has its flaws and limitations, but so does the audio. Replacing the animation with something "better" (however you might choose to define that) would just throw the shortcomings of the soundtrack into sharp relief.

Besides, what are you proposing? Taking dialogue from existing episodes and cutting it together into some kind of Frankensteinian patchwork of a story? There's no way such a thing would produce a coherent, well-structured narrative, and it would sound awful because of the mismatching deliveries and audio qualities.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:39 PM   #78
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I think the best course is new animation, AND new voice/audio work to create new TOS stories.

Surely the right voice talent could be found to evoke the TOS characters we all know and love? For example, imagine Gary Sinise doing the voice of Dr. McCoy.
Old April 28 2013, 05:10 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

^In other words, let TAS remain as it is and create a whole new animated series. Which is the only good suggestion I've heard.

Old April 28 2013, 05:13 PM   #80
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

^In other words, let TAS remain as it is and create a whole new animated series. Which is the only good suggestion I've heard.
Thanks. With the state of animation today, you could literally do anything with a new animated Trek series. This format would be perfect for the "anthology" type series folks are often suggesting over in the Future of Trek forums. You could do a TOS story one week, a DSN story the next, and a totally new setting within the Trek universe the week after that. Why be limited to what Filmation did 40 years ago?
Old April 28 2013, 07:51 PM   #81
publiusr
Commodore

Good point. If the audio quality is that muddy--one could do a found footage type reconstruction...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 07:56 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

publiusr wrote: View Post
Good point. If the audio quality is that muddy--one could do a found footage type reconstruction...
What?? Why would you want to? What a pointless gimmick.

What I'm saying is that TAS is what it is. It's a creation of a particular time and context and should be accepted in that light. Indeed, for a Saturday morning cartoon from the early '70s, it's a damn sight better than we would've had any right to expect.

Old April 29 2013, 02:37 AM   #83
I am not Spock
Commodore

TAS is canon. It was produced, filmed, and aired. And doesn't contradict anything from TOS, IMO. Some of the stories are quite good, for a Saturday morning cartoon. The animation is not good, but the stories make up for it, I think. If you're a fan of TOS or just Trek in general, pick it up. It's worth having in your Trek DVD collection
Old April 29 2013, 02:38 AM   #84
I am not Spock
Commodore

Don't remake TAS. Leave it as it is. If you want new animated Trek, I'm all for them making a CGI or trad-animation new show.
Old April 29 2013, 02:39 AM   #85
I am not Spock
Commodore

There were actually talks for an animated TNG in the late nineties with Nickelodeon, but Berman backed out as he thought it would 'cheapen the franchise'.
Old April 29 2013, 03:17 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

What I think would've been great would be if Filmation had done a second animated series around 1980-81. By then, the quality of their work had improved considerably -- their animation was still repetitive, but they repeated stock action sequences, some of which were beautifully animated, rather than just still poses. And they'd innovated some pretty sophisticated special-effects techniques like backlit moires, and Ray Ellis & Norm Prescott's music was as rich and gorgeous as it got. And a show at that time would probably have been set after TMP, like the Marvel comic and LA Times comic strip were as well as several of the novels from that time. So we could've had more screen adventures set in the TMP era, and Filmation could've made use of the alien crewmembers glimpsed in that film, like Saurians and Zaranites. It could've been really cool.

Old April 29 2013, 03:36 AM   #87
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
TAS is canon. It was produced, filmed, and aired. And doesn't contradict anything from TOS, IMO. Some of the stories are quite good, for a Saturday morning cartoon. The animation is not good, but the stories make up for it, I think. If you're a fan of TOS or just Trek in general, pick it up. It's worth having in your Trek DVD collection
Agree.

What I think would've been great would be if Filmation had done a second animated series around 1980-81. By then, the quality of their work had improved considerably -- their animation was still repetitive, but they repeated stock action sequences, some of which were beautifully animated, rather than just still poses. And they'd innovated some pretty sophisticated special-effects techniques like backlit moires, and Ray Ellis & Norm Prescott's music was as rich and gorgeous as it got. And a show at that time would probably have been set after TMP, like the Marvel comic and LA Times comic strip were as well as several of the novels from that time. So we could've had more screen adventures set in the TMP era, and Filmation could've made use of the alien crewmembers glimpsed in that film, like Saurians and Zaranites. It could've been really cool.
Christopher this is an excellent idea that should have been done.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 04:39 AM   #88
Christopher
Writer

And there's no reason it couldn't have happened. Filmation did two different Batman cartoons, one in '67 and one a decade later. And in the late '70s/early '80s they did new animated versions of their live-action characters Isis and Captain Marvel. Not to mention that they revived Fat Albert once or twice after years of reruns, and did Gilligan's Planet as a sequel to The New Adventures of Gilligan.

Around the time in question, Filmation was doing the fantasy series Flash Gordon and Blackstar (sort of a prototype for He-Man) as well as animated versions of The Lone Ranger and Zorro. A new Star Trek could've fit in reasonably well.

Old April 29 2013, 05:00 AM   #89
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

And there's no reason it couldn't have happened. Filmation did two different Batman cartoons, one in '67 and one a decade later. And in the late '70s/early '80s they did new animated versions of their live-action characters Isis and Captain Marvel. Not to mention that they revived Fat Albert once or twice after years of reruns, and did Gilligan's Planet as a sequel to The New Adventures of Gilligan.

Around the time in question, Filmation was doing the fantasy series Flash Gordon and Blackstar (sort of a prototype for He-Man) as well as animated versions of The Lone Ranger and Zorro. A new Star Trek could've fit in reasonably well.
Agree, Filmation missed out on this. It would have been a brilliant TMP era animated series to fill in what happened before WOK.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 02:45 PM   #90
bbailey861
Admiral

Galileo7 wrote: View Post

Agree, Filmation missed out on this. It would have been a brilliant TMP era animated series to fill in what happened before WOK.
I absolutely agree. TMP era animated Trek would have been a great way to reboot a cartoon series. I don't recall reading anything; I wonder if the this idea had ever been discussed.

I think the time is ripe for a new animated series. As much as I would love to see one of the older series animated, I suspect it would have to be nuTrek to really be successful. That would be the crew to draw in the younger aged audience.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote