Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 27 2013, 03:21 PM   #91
StCoop
Commodore

Re: Finale discussion thread (spoilerifictitle insided) *SPOILERS WITH

Sindatur wrote: View Post
It kinda craps on the guilt Eccelston went through and that it was Rose who helped him heal, which has been a big theme throughout the RTD years
They're all supposed be the same man anyway.

I'm guessing that the last shot of the episode was going be something like the TARDIS appears and out step Eccleston and Piper. They would have always have been leaving that to shoot until they were making the Anniversary Special, so now it will be out step Hurt and Piper. So no longer a jump out your chair and cheer moment and more a WTF moment; less special but still a massive cliffhanger.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:32 PM   #92
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

StCoop wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
It kinda craps on the guilt Eccelston went through and that it was Rose who helped him heal, which has been a big theme throughout the RTD years
They're all supposed be the same man anyway.
Sure, but, if a future Doctor helped himself heal, it detracts from what a broken "man" he was when he met Rose

I don't say this as a rabid Doctor/Rose shipper or as a Rose Mega-fan, but, rather, in regards to the importance of his brokeness before meeting Rose and the weight that held on the first few Series of NuWho

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:36 PM   #93
Captain_Amasov
Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Right which is why it's possible when we get his name it is as simply as 'Twelve'.
I guess it depends on whether The Doctor, or whatever other entity, is "alive" at the point when you get to hear his name.

The get out clause would be in what Dorium Maldovar said before: "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the 11th, when no living thing can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked."
Captain_Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:41 PM   #94
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Moffat wrote:
... and one that will change the course of Who forever!
No, it won't! Stop pretending this is more than another episode of Doctor Who, Moffat! It won't change anything significant and even if it does it won't be forever, it will be for this one episode and then everything's back to normal at the end of the christmas special.

If there's a forgotten Doctor, so what? That only changes the numbering of the ones that came after him, it won't affect the course of Who, only merchandise and wiki pages.

I'm not even sure what's so interesting about the Doctor's name, do we really care? Unless it's Hubert Rani-son or Master-cousin Johnson it doesn't matter.

Fine, he has to answer and can't lie, what happens?

Clara: What's your name?
Doctor: Jo'nh Thmis!
Clara: John Smith?
Doctor: No, Jo'nh Thmis!
Clara: Ok, next question, who's the hottest, Vastra, Jenny, River or me?
Doctor: Vastra, but honestly, the guy over there beats all of you, right?
Clara: Eww, he looks like a walking potato ... I think he heard me ... we have to get out of here!
Doctor: Definitely.

Last edited by Takeru; April 27 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:48 PM   #95
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Takeru wrote: View Post
Moffat wrote:
... and one that will change the course of Who forever!
No, it won't! Stop pretending this is more than another episode of Doctor Who, Moffat! It won't change anything significant and even if it does it won't be forever, it will be for this one episode and then everything's back to normal at the end of the christmas special.
He can't help himself. Moffat's a huckster who loves to troll his audience and could give lessons to P.T. Barnum.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:54 PM   #96
Nightowl1701
Commander

Try this one on for size. River Song is able to de-age herself ('slowly at first, just to freak people out') even after regeneration. Of course, this is to explain Alex Kingston looking younger in previous episodes. Taking Allyn's It's a Wonderful Life analogy to its' conclusion, what if (in the just-shot surprise finale) Hurt's Doctor at the end decides to 'take the age down a bit,' take an electric razor to his beard and hair, and what emerges (via archival footage/CGI trickery) is Eccleston?
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:59 PM   #97
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'm still thinking "if Hurt's an alt/lost Doctor, he'll be one who never left Gallifrey, at least until the Time War wrecked the place"...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 04:05 PM   #98
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
Try this one on for size. River Song is able to de-age herself ('slowly at first, just to freak people out') even after regeneration. Of course, this is to explain Alex Kingston looking younger in previous episodes. Taking Allyn's It's a Wonderful Life analogy to its' conclusion, what if (in the just-shot surprise finale) Hurt's Doctor at the end decides to 'take the age down a bit,' take an electric razor to his beard and hair, and what emerges (via archival footage/CGI trickery) is Eccleston?
It'd be even better if he emerged as River Song.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 04:24 PM   #99
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I'm still thinking "if Hurt's an alt/lost Doctor, he'll be one who never left Gallifrey, at least until the Time War wrecked the place"...
Makes sense. Further, I suspect that if the Clara rumors are true, then that would be a result of her intervention. Imagine her, spread through the Doctor's history saving his time streams but - ah! - she messed one or two up. Altered the time war a bit, say, so Eight died and regenerated in a different time or place or what have you, and now they've got this alternate Ninth doc who never existed that they have to deal with. Moffat loves his wobbly wobbly universe-imperiling paradoxes, so this naturally threatens to tear reality apart, and there's the premise for the 50th special.
Old April 27 2013, 05:57 PM   #100
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Moffat talks the last few episodes of this series on the BBC's website, closing with this about "The Name of the Doctor":

The episode is called The Name of the Doctor and involves our hero in a conflict that is very, very personal to him. Usually he’s saving other people, but this time he might be the one who needs to be saved. We’ll also find out what makes his new companion so impossible and there’s a surprise that no one has got right so far, and one that will change the course of Who forever!
Surprise that will change Who history? There's a forgotten Doctor.
Ah, but people have guessed the forgotten Doctor. So, according to Moffat that's not right. Yeah, I know, we can't always take him at his word . . .

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:01 PM   #101
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Perhaps the core of the story that Moffat has carried around for years went like this. Let's suppose there's a Doctor who's tired and weary and doesn't want to go on any more. He's ready to give up on life. And then, like Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life, another Doctor, a future Doctor no less, shows up and tells him that he shouldn't feel so bad. There's so much fun to be had in the universe. There are awesome things to do, fantastic places to see. The Doctor really has made a difference. And, in a meta commentary way, even if he doesn't like how things are going now, they will change in a few years, possibly for the better. From here, you have a romp. The Doctors run around, revisiting things or doing new things (giving the story a reason to have all the monsters) as the older Doctor tries to convince his younger and more cynical self that things are okay and he should go on. And by the end, the cynical younger Doctor has had a change of heart and he feels like he can go on again.

That kind of framework doesn't require a forgotten Doctor. Heck, it doesn't even require the Time War. It just requires a tired and grumpy Doctor. There are points where you could have done this story with Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, etc.
I like that premise but I would only find that effective with an established, already known Doctor, even if it's The Eighth Doctor. While I'm not completely against John Hurt being a forgotten Doctor, I wouldn't want him to be utilized in this manner because the emotional impact is not as strong, especially for the 50th anniversary.
Yep, I agree with this. If this premise is correct, it needs to involve an established Doctor. If Eccleston wasn't available, he should've gotten a classic Doctor.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:04 PM   #102
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

In fairness they can hardly say "there's a surprise that everyone on the internet is already talking about!"
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:19 PM   #103
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Ah, but people have guessed the forgotten Doctor. So, according to Moffat that's not right. Yeah, I know, we can't always take him at his word . .
He supposedly doesn't read Forums so how would he know?

Plus he wouldn't admit it had been leaked even if it had, would he?
Old April 27 2013, 06:20 PM   #104
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Yep, I agree with this. If this premise is correct, it needs to involve an established Doctor. If Eccleston wasn't available, he should've gotten a classic Doctor.
If the story revolves around the Time War that kind of limits the choices.
Old April 27 2013, 07:33 PM   #105
Lonemagpie
Writer

Shazam! wrote: View Post
In fairness they can hardly say "there's a surprise that everyone on the internet is already talking about!"
"Again, as per usual..."

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote