Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 27 2013, 01:50 AM   #91
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

FYI: My host has been having DNS and other issues the past two days. I'm talking to support about that. Page's not gone or so ...
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 02:27 PM   #92
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

It is running a bit slow. Though I did get the main page to load.
Old November 15 2013, 12:06 AM   #93
sportzkid
Rear Admiral

View sportzkid's Twitter Profile

I am curious how difficult it would be to add in the book ratings that readers have given to trek books from goodreads.com to this page?
sportzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 12:12 AM   #94
Sho
Fleet Captain

Not sure, I'm not a goodreads user ... could you point me to a sample page and specifically what data on it you mean? Most likely the main challenge is reliably mapping a review thread to the goodreads entry in an automated fashion (I'd prefer to keep the manual labor at zero if I can), and to a lesser extent a future-proof way of extracting the data (unless goodreads has a nice and stable API I can use, instead of needing to scrape their HTML).
Old November 15 2013, 03:25 PM   #95
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

Goodreads does have an API. I wonder how it will skew things that some of us who review here also review there. Doubling up the same individual's vote.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 03:33 PM   #96
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

One little question: I always assumed Sho's table as it is now (IIRC he has toyed with the idea to establish an indepent novel ranking site, though) was meant to give a view at how this BBS views the books, so I don't see why ratings from a different site should be included?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 03:41 PM   #97
Sho
Fleet Captain

As I understood the request, the goodreads score would actually be in a separate column, doubling as a link to the goodreads entry. I.e. it'd just enhance the utility of the table as a launching off point a little.

I definitely wouldn't want to try to factor the goodreads score into an overall score, the main idea was indeed to reflect what this forum likes and that's how it should stay. It's meant to serve as a biased-but-fun mood barometer of sorts to enhance the discourse here.

So it'd just be "here's what the forum thinks, and here's what a wider world thinks".
Old November 15 2013, 03:47 PM   #98
Defcon
Rear Admiral

^Thanks for the quick reply.

JeBuS last post seems to indicate that he was thinking about an overall score (with his skewed comment), that why I asked.
Old November 15 2013, 03:55 PM   #99
Sho
Fleet Captain

So I've had a look at Goodreads' API terms of use:

http://www.goodreads.com/api/terms

Seems pretty reasonable for our purposes. Staggering requests to once per second is a bit annoying, that'll bump the runtime of the report generation to (number of books) seconds unless I go async and just have some separate track add in that data now and then.

The actual API is pretty solid, too: https://www.goodreads.com/api

Though I wish the data structure returned for searches would contain a confidence rating per search result entry, then I could avoid badly-named review threads mapping to the wrong book on goodreads by filtering by a high confidence threshold.

On the whole though this seems reasonably doable. I'll do it once I find some time.
Old November 15 2013, 06:24 PM   #100
Sho
Fleet Captain

Ok, here we go, Goodreads scores are in: http://www.eikehein.com/stuff/trekbbs/review_threads/

Interesting differences.

Edit: Tweaked the Goodreads search further, afaict there are no more false and missing matches now.

Last edited by Sho; November 15 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 15 2013, 07:08 PM   #101
JeBuS
Lieutenant Commander

The "interesting differences" may be due to goodreads' star system description being different from the usual ratings here.

1: Did not like it
2: It was ok
3: Liked it
4: Really liked it
5: It was amazing

Going just by the descriptions, I would think that ratings would tend to be higher on average at goodreads.
JeBuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 07:42 PM   #102
Sho
Fleet Captain

I think i should add some visualizations maybe that indicate on a per-cell basis what a score's relative position within the column is regardless of sorting mode. So either a "(rank/total)", or a background color in a range from green to red or something. Then you could make comparisons like "oh on TrekBBS this is one of the best-liked books but Goodreads just thinks it's middle of the pack" that you can't easily do at a glance based on just score because of the different scoring behavior and caps to the range.
Old November 15 2013, 08:25 PM   #103
Christopher
Writer

Sho wrote: View Post
Ok, here we go, Goodreads scores are in: http://www.eikehein.com/stuff/trekbbs/review_threads/

Interesting differences.
The Goodreads crowd seems to have a lower opinion of my work than folks elsewhere, at least judging from the few samples available. They rate Only Superhuman pretty low too (as do Amazon.com reviewers), even though it's got a much higher ranking on Barnes & Noble and (for the audiobook) GraphicAudio's site. Which just goes to show how little faith one can place in such rankings.

Still, I wish more older Trek novels could be added to your list. Only my three most recent ones are counted there so far, for some reason.

Sho wrote: View Post
I think i should add some visualizations maybe that indicate on a per-cell basis what a score's relative position within the column is regardless of sorting mode. So either a "(rank/total)", or a background color in a range from green to red or something. Then you could make comparisons like "oh on TrekBBS this is one of the best-liked books but Goodreads just thinks it's middle of the pack" that you can't easily do at a glance based on just score because of the different scoring behavior and caps to the range.
You've already got a toggle that can sort the TrekBBS scores either ascending or descending -- why not just add the same toggle to the Goodreads column, so that viewers have the option to sort by its scores?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2013, 08:28 PM   #104
Defcon
Rear Admiral

Although it is listed as N/A, Vanguard: What Judgments come has an entry on goodreads:

Vanguard: What Judgments come: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Maybe it wasn't found because Judgments is typed differently in the TrekBBS thread title?

ETA:

Christopher wrote: View Post
Still, I wish more older Trek novels could be added to your list. Only my three most recent ones are counted there so far, for some reason.
Apparently only those three have threads with polls here on the TrekBBS.

You've already got a toggle that can sort the TrekBBS scores either ascending or descending -- why not just add the same toggle to the Goodreads column, so that viewers have the option to sort by its scores?
That is already there, just click on Goodreads.
Old November 15 2013, 08:36 PM   #105
Sho
Fleet Captain

You can actually already click of all of the column headers and sort ascending/descending . The presence of the indicator doubles as "this is the active sort column".

What I meant is that if, say, the highest score on Goodreads was a 3 (of 5) and the highest score on TrekBBS was 4 (of 5), you can't really compare books just based on two having a 3 - in this example on Goodreads it means it's top of the line compared to the others, but on TrekBBS it means there are books that are even better liked. So some additional info is needed so you can get a feel for what a 3 means for a book's standing in context of the full set of books. With just one score column you can get this just from position in the list, but with multiple score columns, you can't see it for both at the same time.

Defcon wrote: View Post
Although it is listed as N/A, Vanguard: What Judgments come has an entry on goodreads:

Vanguard: What Judgments come: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Maybe it wasn't found because Judgments is typed differently in the TrekBBS thread title?
Yep: The code ends up searching Goodreads for "Star Trek What Judgements Come Ward Dilmore" in this case, and that doesn't turn up any search results. Goodreads isn't very lenient when it comes to spelling errors.

I could either add an "exceptions list" with some predefined mappings we know need special handling, or I can petition the mods to just fix the typo.