Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 13 2013, 11:07 AM   #1351
DavidLeeRoth
Lieutenant

Re: Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

I really liked B5 and feel that it was an excellent show. That said, if I had to pick between B5 and DS9, I'd choose the latter.

B5, while mostly great, was a little cheesy at times.

The whole "ZAAH HAH DOOM!" thing was a bit silly, and the Vorlons were about as impressive as a prop from an Ed Wood movie. In terms of production values, the show looked like 1980s-era Dr. Who. BG came out only a few years later, and think about how much better it looked by comparison.

And Zima?

All complaining aside, it was a great show with a great cast and it had some some real compelling stories.
DavidLeeRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2013, 05:01 PM   #1352
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Love, love, love Babylon 5. It's one of my absolute favourite shows along with DS9.

I prefer B5's ambition and tendency for experimentation but I'd also say that generally DS9 is better at execution. The Dominion War felt like an actual long-term war whereas the Shadow War seemed to amount to two brief skirmishes.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 06:07 PM   #1353
_C_
Commander

Basically everything Kosh EVER said is my favorite quote. LOL

Picture a Vorlon and a Breen in the same room. They make similar noises, but Kosh's are more musical. The Breen sound like Transformers transforming every time they talk, but it's still an interesting yet alien noise.
Old February 27 2013, 07:23 PM   #1354
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

If Sisko was going off on Kosh, telling him the Vorlons need to get off their Encounter suited butts and do something, would Sisko have punched Kosh, like he did Q?

Kosh: Sheridan never hit me

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 08:52 AM   #1355
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

^
I'd be interested to see where he'd choose to punch

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2013, 06:45 AM   #1356
Danger Ace
Commander

Favorite Quote:

"I only signed onto "Babylon 5" because I had heard they already cast all the roles for "Deep Space Nine." God, anybody who was looking to be somebody was more than willing to sell their mother to be a part of "DS9!" I settled for "Babylon 5" because they promised me free pretzels. By-the-way, still waiting on the pretzels thank-you-very-much!" - Bruce Boxleitner (Mirror Universe)

Danger Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2013, 09:18 AM   #1357
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm glad we got Sheridan out of him and not some Federation besotted Captain. Much more interesting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:36 AM   #1358
Mage
Fleet Captain

During our re-re-re-watch of B5, I really noticed for the first time how rushed season 4 is at times. I mean, I noticed it a bit before, but there were times I felt as if I missed an episode or two, with thing moving ahead so fast some things felt to rushed. Like Garibaldi's situation.

Still loving it though.
Old April 27 2013, 10:11 AM   #1359
MacLeod
Admiral

Well S4 of B5 is a bit rushed due to it not being picked up for a fifth season at that time., so the arcs had to be condesed a tad.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 08:30 PM   #1360
JoeD80
Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
with thing moving ahead so fast some things felt to rushed. Like Garibaldi's situation.

Still loving it though.
I don't follow how Garibaldi's situation feels like that. There are quite a few episodes about it and that thread goes through most of the fourth season (with some followup in season five).
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2013, 08:02 AM   #1361
Mage
Fleet Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
with thing moving ahead so fast some things felt to rushed. Like Garibaldi's situation.

Still loving it though.
I don't follow how Garibaldi's situation feels like that. There are quite a few episodes about it and that thread goes through most of the fourth season (with some followup in season five).
It just feels pretty fast to me. The switch to not wanting to work for Sheridan because of wanting his own freedom to not wanting to work for him because of trust issues and how Sheridan is doing the wrong thing went pretty fast, especially if you watch a few eps back to back.
Old April 29 2013, 08:05 AM   #1362
Mage
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well S4 of B5 is a bit rushed due to it not being picked up for a fifth season at that time., so the arcs had to be condesed a tad.
I'm aware of this, it's just that this is the first time watching it became so aware to me just how rushed it was.
Old April 29 2013, 09:21 PM   #1363
JoeD80
Captain

The switch to not wanting to work for Sheridan because of wanting his own freedom to not wanting to work for him because of trust issues and how Sheridan is doing the wrong thing went pretty fast, especially if you watch a few eps back to back.
But i dont think it's supposed to feel exactly natural, considering Bester and Harlan-cop did do work on him. The audience is supposed to know something is off.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2013, 07:09 PM   #1364
Mage
Fleet Captain

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
The switch to not wanting to work for Sheridan because of wanting his own freedom to not wanting to work for him because of trust issues and how Sheridan is doing the wrong thing went pretty fast, especially if you watch a few eps back to back.
But i dont think it's supposed to feel exactly natural, considering Bester and Harlan-cop did do work on him. The audience is supposed to know something is off.
Ofcourse, but I prefer it would have taken one or two episodes longer, build up to his resentment towards Sheridan a bit more.
Old April 30 2013, 07:13 PM   #1365
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Season 4 was originally supposed to end with Sheridan's capture on Mars wasn't it?

I actually love the pacing of the fourth season, it's absolutely break-neck at times. I think the start of the fifth season suffers because of it, but I probably still wouldn't change anything if I could.