RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 649
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 27 2013, 06:18 AM   #16
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: You know what I wish we saw in Star Trek 2009?

Austin 3:16 wrote: View Post
During the sequence where prime Spock is mind-melding with young Kirk, when it shows the space scenes of the 24th century from the prime universe during that sequence, I wish they had shown a prime universe Starfleet ship (like a Galaxy or Sovereign or Defiant class) flying around space. Or maybe Geordi LaForge (as a small cameo) helping prime Spock build his Jellyfish ship (as was shown in the Star Trek Countdown prequel comic to the movie).

What do you think? Would you have liked to see something like that?
Someone said that it would have been the perfect opportunity for us to see an older Kirk and I agree. That could have been Shatner's cameo.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 05:26 PM   #17
GMDreia
Commander

I wish we'd seen some Andorians and Tellarites and others walking around in the background. Abrams-Trek gives us even more of the impression of a human dominated Federation, moreso than the original series even did.
Old April 27 2013, 05:36 PM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
As I mentioned above and in another thread, I'd like to see both JMS and Peter Jackson do a Star Trek movie; both men have proven themselves adept at doing SF & F movies/TV shows/comic books-who knows what they could do with Star Trek? Edgar Wright might be another, or even (if he's still directing) Peter Hymans.
I don't doubt JMS' ability to do a Trek film, I'm just wondering why he would want to. He spent all that time on his baby Babylon 5. Why would he want to "jump ship", as it were? Especially since he thinks Trek (DS9, specifically) ripped B5 off?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Gojira
Commodore

GMDreia wrote: View Post
I wish we'd seen some Andorians and Tellarites and others walking around in the background. Abrams-Trek gives us even more of the impression of a human dominated Federation, moreso than the original series even did.
I would love to see some Andorians in the next movie. They have not been in any feature film to a large degree and I would love to see them as a major plot point.
Old April 27 2013, 06:45 PM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Especially since he thinks Trek (DS9, specifically) ripped B5 off?
Not here, please. That is a discussion which rarely goes any way but poorly, it is one which is in no way pertinent to the topics discussed in this forum, and any attempt to pursue it will be summarily nuked from orbit.
Old April 27 2013, 10:27 PM   #21
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

I don't doubt JMS' ability to do a Trek film, I'm just wondering why he would want to.
If I remember correctly, he expressed quite some interest a few years ago. Didn't he even outline a plot that he would have used?

Gojira wrote: View Post
I would love to see some Andorians in the next movie. They have not been in any feature film to a large degree and I would love to see them as a major plot point.
I don't know ... I loved the Enterprise Andorians, they were so perfect that I'm not sure I would want to see Abrams' take on them. To be honest, I'm almost afraid of seeing a Klingon without a helmet in STID!
Old April 27 2013, 11:12 PM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I'd love to see an Andorian, Tellarite or one of the Xindi species on the Enterprise crew.

Although I have to disagree about the human-dominated Federation. We saw Alnschloss K'Bentayr (the Arex-like alien) and a Cygnian (big eyed nurse) on the Kelvin, the Enterprise had Madeline (the bronze-skinned girl on the Enterprise bridge), Keenser and a several cool aliens in the bar, at Starfleet Academy and belowdecks on the Enterprise. I'd say the movie is tied for number of aliens with TMP.
Old April 28 2013, 03:08 AM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Abrams-Trek gives us even more of the impression of a human dominated Federation, moreso than the original series even did.
Eh?

Were you not seeing the plethora of Bad Robot's aliens in Starfleet?

They did suggest we'd possibly see an Andorian in "Star Trek (2009)" - and we didn't - but there were given plenty of aliens, some with important scenes (Gaila, Keenser), and there was probably more variety that ST:TMP's rec deck and San Francisco or ST IV's Council scenes.

Not many TOS aliens were shown to be in Starfleet in TOS. For that we had to wait for TAS and TMP.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 03:16 AM   #24
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
I don't doubt JMS' ability to do a Trek film, I'm just wondering why he would want to.
If I remember correctly, he expressed quite some interest a few years ago. Didn't he even outline a plot that he would have used?
Indeed he did. It was a reboot proposal co-written with Bryce Zabel (Dark Skies, Lois & Clark, The Crow).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 04:01 AM   #25
I am not Spock
Commodore

I hope we see some more TOS races in Into Darkness, or a future movie. I would like the Abramsverse to acknowledge the Andorians or Tellarites.

Even the Edosians or Caitians from TAS would be nice!

I know the Gorn are back in the new Star Trek video game
Old April 28 2013, 05:01 AM   #26
WarpFactorZ
Captain

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Someone said that it would have been the perfect opportunity for us to see an older Kirk and I agree. That could have been Shatner's cameo.
That would make no sense. Kirk would have been long dead by that point. No matter what point in the 24th century those events were depicted, Kirk was believe lost on the maiden voyage of the Enterprise-B (late 23rd c.). Even if we ignore the events of "Generations," as a human he'd long since have expired by the time Spock was helping the Romulans (as he says it's 129 years in the future).

How would throwing Kirk into any future mind-meld vision have any rational explanation?
WarpFactorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 05:38 AM   #27
Melakon
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Again I must ask, what would the two of you want as director and writer for the two movies if it wasn't Abrams, Orci & Kurtzman?
Ideally? John Sturges and E. E. "Doc" Smith, but they're both long dead.
Old April 28 2013, 06:15 AM   #28
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Sturges is quite a choice; he'd bring something, to be sure. But given the ADD times in which we live, they'd wind up having Baird or one of his acolytes overcut the thing and destroy the natural tempos of the director.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 06:36 AM   #29
Third Nacelle
Captain

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see a Ridley Scott or Guillermo del Toro Trek movie.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2013, 02:49 PM   #30
Agent Richard07
Admiral

WarpFactorZ wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
That would make no sense. Kirk would have been long dead by that point. No matter what point in the 24th century those events were depicted, Kirk was believe lost on the maiden voyage of the Enterprise-B (late 23rd c.). Even if we ignore the events of "Generations," as a human he'd long since have expired by the time Spock was helping the Romulans (as he says it's 129 years in the future).

How would throwing Kirk into any future mind-meld vision have any rational explanation?
Spock was ruminating about their friendship. It was the perfect opportunity to throw in Shatner as Kirk. And the fact that it's a montage of thoughts is all the rational explanation needed. The mind jumps around. No reason he couldn't have shown young Kirk what happened to Romulus, then an image of old Kirk, then whatever else he wanted to conjure up.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote