TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 18 2013, 03:21 PM   #76
Sadara
Lieutenant Commander

View Sadara's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Sadara
Re: Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Personally, I couldn't stand Jadzia Dax, but I think generally speaking Bashir was probably one of the least popular, at least as far as the regulars go, especially at first. Arrogant + naive usually = unlikeable in my experience.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:16 AM   #77
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

teacake wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Mirror Kira
Whoever came up with that was an idiot.

You would think that having a sex mad bisexual dominatrix on Star Trek would be a good thing. But no.. awful. Sometimes rose to glorious camp BUT it shouldn't have had to rise to that, glorious camp should have been the starting point!

I'll admit it. I make it glorious camp in my head because I want it to work.

(No slam on Nana Visitor who played the part well)
Ughhhh Mirror Kira!!! Again though, like Winn, she was meant to be that way lol.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 04:21 PM   #78
dub
Fleet Captain

Wow...I didn't realize how hated Mirror Kira was. I found her to be a loose cannon and totally dangerous. And yes, camp. I thought she was a great character for the MU. Sure she was 2D like most Mirror characters, but it was fun to go there the few times they did. Like a little dessert for the actors. And fun to watch (for me).

Also, there's a difference between feeling hate for a character (which is often a good, intended thing), and hating the idea or direction of a character in general. I think Winn falls into the former category for most, at least she should.

I guess I'm also in the minority because I loved Vic Fontaine. To me, he brought some fun and charm to the show.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19 2013, 06:03 PM   #79
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mirror Kira was.... so cliche it was mind boggling. Yet at the same time you couldn't help but like that Nana Visitor was clearly giving her all in that role.
Old April 20 2013, 01:44 AM   #80
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

dub wrote: View Post

I guess I'm also in the minority because I loved Vic Fontaine. To me, he brought some fun and charm to the show.
I liked Vic as a character. Finally, a sentient hologram that was cool with his place in life! Doesn't take over the station, doesn't demand photonic rights; he just wants to sing!

No, what I didn't like was how he was used - and overused. People thought the over-emphasis on Ezri was bad, and she was a main character! Vic is just a bit player.
Old April 22 2013, 03:24 AM   #81
WesleysDisciple
Lieutenant Commander

A lot of people seem to have it out for Ezri, for some reason.

She arrives late, and seems to be designed to be the near polar opposite of Jadzeia

Both are quite Femenine but Jadzeia has an easy going humour
WesleysDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 11:38 AM   #82
Yorkshire Niner
Captain

I actually preferred Ezri to Jadzia. She brought something new and fresh to the cast dynamics during that final season and Nicole De Boer played her part very well (she could easily have taken the Buffy/Willow smartass teenager path).

Most of my hatred on the show was reserved for Kai Winn but, as said before, as a viewer you were supposed to hate her. She was morally repulsive for a reason.

For me though, the blandest, dullest, recurring character on DS9 has to be.... Vedek Bareil. Unconvincing as a holy man and as a lover. What the hell did Kira see in him??! Even the Mirror Bareil was boring! I never re-watch episodes featuring him and was glad when he died (which was also the longest and most boring death scene ever seen in Star Trek!).

And..... breathe. :-)
Old April 23 2013, 01:53 PM   #83
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

It's quite obvious to me what Kira saw in him: someone she could come to rest with, feel safe with. She's been through so much, she's that fucked-up by her experiences, someone a lot more stable than herself would appeal. And the last kind of person she would ever get on with is someone with the same fiery temper - they'd just be throwing things at one another the whole time.
O.k. so he wasn't the most exciting character, I agree, but I don't understand all the bashing he gets (I've said that before). I've always liked him. He seems a very caring and gentle sort, and he does have a little streak of irreverence for the prevailing religious dogma that I for one thought made him exactly suited to his station in life. Religious ideas wouldn't be misused for the persecution of others half so much if more sefl-professed believers had such a relaxed mindset.
Old April 24 2013, 04:38 AM   #84
flemm
Fleet Captain

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
It's quite obvious to me what Kira saw in him: someone she could come to rest with, feel safe with. She's been through so much, she's that fucked-up by her experiences, someone a lot more stable than herself would appeal.
Yeah, makes perfect sense. He shares her faith, but is actually more of a maverick than she is from that point of view. However, he's very stable and calm otherwise.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:16 AM   #85
Worf'sParmach
Commander

At the time of airing the answer would be Ezri. I was active in fan communities way back then when the internet was new (usenet anyone?) and everyone was pretty pissed that Jadzi was replaced by her. Most peoole figured they would just go down to one female lead, that it woukd be too tough to bring in someone new the last season. Ezri has only gained respect among fans in hindsight (myself included)
Old April 27 2013, 01:23 AM   #86
LiLiKitty
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't like Kira for most of the first season. She was too hard and brusque, and it seemed like that was all that she was. Then "Duet" aired, and all of her character's potential, positive and negative, became clear. She's now one of my favorite characters. Kira's struggle over seven seasons to become better than who she was at the beginning of the show is one reason why DS9 is so terrific. I think "Duet" opened the door to that.
LiLiKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 03:32 AM   #87
Ryva Brall
Commander

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
At the time of airing the answer would be Ezri. I was active in fan communities way back then when the internet was new (usenet anyone?) and everyone was pretty pissed that Jadzi was replaced by her. Most peoole figured they would just go down to one female lead, that it woukd be too tough to bring in someone new the last season. Ezri has only gained respect among fans in hindsight (myself included)
Yeah, I imagine their decision to replace Jadzia caused quite an uproar among the fans. But what else could they do? They couldn't have just one regular female character. However, they didn't necessarily have to have another Dax. They could have just added a completely new character. I think that's part of why people resent Ezri. She wasn't just a new character; she was a new Dax, and the viewer just had to accept it. It was a lot to expect from fans.

I'm personally not a fan of Ezri, but not because she replaced Jadzia. She's just too bubbly and perky, and I'm usually not crazy about those kinds of characters. But that's just me; I realize a lot of people do like her, and I can understand why.