Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 25 2013, 11:58 PM   #706
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

There is another tiny but noticable discrepancy between the color close-up photo and the original black & white photo of the original VFX miniature.

In the original miniature the direction triangle is outside the white text frame while in the model reconstruction it is inside and next to the text.

I presume the small print texts on the decal sheet would have gone into the smaller white frames.

I concur, but I'd prefer "Oxygen Vent" over "Ground Lock". The thingies on the wall could be oxygen vents and I think that has a "stay clear" character.
On a pressurized flight deck you try to keep fuse cutters and the like out of this area, while on a decompressed deck you wouldn't want to stay near these vents in an EVA suit.

Might blow you straight from port to starboard.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 02:09 PM   #707
blssdwlf
Commodore

Haven't posted to this thread in a while. Been busy with work but hope to return to it soon.

Just for grins, an early horizontal intermix shaft

http://www.retronaut.com/2013/03/the...ion-telescope/
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2013, 06:05 PM   #708
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Absolutely cool, no wonder the company went bankrupt when nobody bought their "intermix shaft".

Which brings me inevitably to the question how should we imagine a TOS intermix shaft?

Can't help the feeling that Mike Minor was on to something: http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp...oncept-art.png (and they actually built the first set as Mike Minor had envisioned it for the original "Phase II").

Bob
Old April 13 2013, 03:30 PM   #709
blssdwlf
Commodore

I would imagine a TOS intermix shaft or energy conduit to have all these metallic shielding plates around it

I saw this today with Shatner vs the Gorn and cracked up laughing. (It's an advert for a AbramsTrek video game, but the promo is with Shatner and a replica Gorn.)

http://observationdeck.io9.com/shatn...gorn-462116804
Old April 20 2013, 02:35 AM   #710
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

The tubular thingy Floxx sabotages "in A Mirror Darkly" was based on original plans from the phase II production; if you look closely, you can see a "family resemblance" to Minors vertical intermix chamber.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:26 PM   #711
blssdwlf
Commodore

I've thought about that although I'm still in the boat of segregating Enterprise episodes as their own continuity from TOS and counting that USS Defiant not as the same one lost in the original TOS episode.
Old April 20 2013, 01:32 PM   #712
Timo
Admiral

...Or that it is, but that it never was identical to the Enterprise. The sixty-plus ships built in between might have taught Starfleet a thing or two...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 01:39 PM   #713
Warped9
Admiral

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
I've thought about that although I'm still in the boat of segregating Enterprise episodes as their own continuity from TOS and counting that USS Defiant not as the same one lost in the original TOS episode.
Old April 20 2013, 06:14 PM   #714
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Oh, I reach ya, just thought I'd throw that out there for what it's worth. Just food for thought, that's all; and not saying you have to use the "IAMD" tube thingy "whole cloth", just take anything you may like about it and Minors original, and combine it with a more TOSy feel, like the conduit evil Kirk phasers in "The Enemy Within" for example, and your off and running?
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2013, 10:04 PM   #715
blssdwlf
Commodore

No worries. I've got some ideas
Old April 23 2013, 03:25 PM   #716
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I agree that TOS and the spin-offs are different continuities and entities, however I'm happy each time there's a new set that could be retroactively fit into the TOS Enterprise without contradicting available TOS footage, regardless whether it's from TAS or ENT.

If we invent new spaces previously unseen it's still entirely conjectural and open to debate and taste, once we integrate spaces seen in other "spin-offs" we'd reach a larger audience and it'll be more palatable...

Bob
Old April 24 2013, 02:44 AM   #717
blssdwlf
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
If we invent new spaces previously unseen it's still entirely conjectural and open to debate and taste, once we integrate spaces seen in other "spin-offs" we'd reach a larger audience and it'll be more palatable...
First, it is already conjectural and open to debate and taste regardless if I use something that appears in a "spin-off". Would that space exist on the TOS Enterprise in the TOS continuity if we saw it on another ship that is from an unconfirmed-to-TOS-continuity? We don't know - thus we're guessing already.

Second, it is a slippery slope for me to do so that will take me outside of the scope of this project. If I incorporate "In A Mirror Darkly" or more closer to home "Trials and Tribblations", do I then accept the historical and technology implications that come with the Enterprise-continuity and/or DS9-continuity? I already include the TOS films (up to ST6) and that's as far as I'm willing to take it.

One of these days after I finish this project, I might take a shot at other continuities or try my hand at integrating an "ideal" version that has all the continuities blended to one.
Old April 26 2013, 01:41 PM   #718
chronografer
Ensign

I must (and it is a personal "must") agree with blssdwlf.
There is room for both (or all) approaches, of course. But for me, I have an emotional and life-experience attachment to the original series and ship. It pulled me in and opened up new possibilities when I saw the very first episode the very first time it aired. That is canon for me. When other series or movies depart from that, I recoil and cringe. It is actually very visceral (no examples named so as not to derail things.
My point is 1) my canon is like blssdwlf and it is an emotional decision for me, and 2) it simplifies my universe to allow me to enjoy what I like best about it.
Life is full and good, but I cannot take it all it. I must limit my scope.
chronografer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 03:23 PM   #719
Timo
Admiral

On the other hand, it's pretty damned difficult for any incarnation of Trek to really step on the toes of another, because none of the incarnations has been anywhere near exhaustive in its description of Kirk's starship. If we took everything shown in TOS and everything shown in the six TOS movies, we could basically shove it all inside one and the same hull, the bridge and the shuttle hangar notwithstanding - with room left over for interiors of one's personal liking.

There's no need to do that, of course, what with the "refitting"/"new ship" thing between the show and the movies, but it's a good indication of how much is possible with the integrating of TOS with TAS or with the DS9/ENT retrospectives on TOS...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 02:39 AM   #720
blssdwlf
Commodore

@chronografer - Thanks!

@Timo - I half agree. The TOS movies and TOS play fairly well together. It's the spin-offs that is problematic with their differing histories and technologies. I'd rather not cherry pick from the spin-offs and keep this project simple. The areas we don't see on the TOS Enterprise in this project will be extrapolated from the TOS episodes (not new-FX TOS) and movies although they may not agree with any of the spin-offs' interpretations.