Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 141 19.13%
A 159 21.57%
A- 99 13.43%
B+ 82 11.13%
B 58 7.87%
B- 27 3.66%
C+ 40 5.43%
C 38 5.16%
C- 24 3.26%
D+ 11 1.49%
D 13 1.76%
D- 10 1.36%
F 35 4.75%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2013, 07:47 PM   #481
Flake
Commodore

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

The spoilers aren't going down very well across the other forums I frequent. I know forums online are not an accurate barometer of all the audience of a movie but over the next few weeks the bad buzz from these spoilers are going to gradually filter around the internet and even those who do not read the spoilers will get that bad buzz. If the reviews end up mixed or bad this movie will not get to $200 million in NA imho. If the reviews are good then theres nothing to worry about. I know there are a handful of positive reviews out there at the moment but there is a long way to go yet before we see what the consensus is amongst the critics.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:51 PM   #482
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Flake wrote: View Post
The spoilers aren't going down very well across the other forums I frequent. I know forums online are not an accurate barometer of all the audience of a movie but over the next few weeks the bad buzz from these spoilers are going to gradually filter around the internet and even those who do not read the spoilers will get that bad buzz. If the reviews end up mixed or bad this movie will not get to $200 million in NA imho. If the reviews are good then theres nothing to worry about. I know there are a handful of positive reviews out there at the moment but there is a long way to go yet before we see what the consensus is amongst the critics.
Most, if not all, of this bad buzz is from people who haven't even seen the movie yet. Reviews from those who have seen it and who write articles people might actually read, are for the most part positive.
I think it will be fine in the end. We'll see.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:56 PM   #483
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
I overlook all sorts of shortcomings that I would not overlook in other films outside Bond and Trek.
Please tell me however that you didn't like On Her Majesty's Secret Service where George Lazenby plays Bond and actually gets married in the film?

Worst Bond film in the history of the series and Lazenby was terrible as James Bond.

Trek like Bond had it's Lazenby moments. Nemesis and Final Frontier were IMO definately those moments.
Actually, that is my favourite Bond film, storywise and only the fact that Lazenby, rather than Connery, is Bond in that film prevents it from being my favourite Bond film period. It is far from being the worst film in the series (I think Moonraker and View to a Kill duke it out for that dubious honour--and You Only Live Twice is a disappointment if I put on my 'critical viewing' cap). On Her Majesty's Secret Service hews more closely to its source novel than most of the other films (if not all) and is definitely in my top five Bond movies of all time. Sorry.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:04 PM   #484
Lord Garth, FOI
Lieutenant Commander

On her majesty is the second best Bond film and my personal favorite
Lazenby is by far the second best Bond and could very well have been the greatest had he stayed with the Franchise and had the films not decided to go campy (which they may have not done had he stayed and Diamonds became the revenge flick it was supposed to be)
Lord Garth, FOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:06 PM   #485
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

I didn't dislike Lazenby as Bond, I just liked Connery better. Just as I like Shatner as Kirk better than Pine but I'm quite happy with Pine as Kirk.

Agreed on Diamonds. I'm a big fan of Tiffany Case, though, so I tend to be forgiving of its shortcomings.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:07 PM   #486
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Count me in as another one who likes OHMSS & Lazenby

Old April 26 2013, 08:10 PM   #487
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Deck 1 - Bridge wrote: View Post
No, you implied piracy in regard of this particular film, and you know it.
It's actually explicitly clear that he did not, and if you'd reread carefully you'd see that. If he "accused" DalekJim of anything it's that he would not tell the truth.

3) Pay to go see the movie in theaters so you can know the details enough to argue about it despite promising you wouldn't go see it and that you would stay away from the discussions.

4) Never admit that you paid to see the movie, and instead proudly insist that you saw a bootleg of the film at a "friend's house" so that you can claim to argue from authority, brag about not paying, and still not feel guilty about stealing because it wasn't you, it was "a friend."
Digging in on this only compounds the silliness of the misunderstanding.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great Bond movie, BTW.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:14 PM   #488
Flake
Commodore

Crikey I need to watch OHMSS then because all these years I've skipped it!

When it comes to Bond movies though I actually like the Moore ones I must like the cheese & camp and it does not take itself seriously at all. They are fun!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:34 PM   #489
Franklin
Rear Admiral

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Most, if not all, of this bad buzz is from people who haven't even seen the movie yet. Reviews from those who have seen it and who write articles people might actually read, are for the most part positive.
The following review by Matthew Leyland in "Total Film" just went up on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a rave without gushing and with some minimal criticisms.

The bad buzz some sense going around forums could be a case of nerves fueled by those who see the movie as contrary to the "vision thing" or those jumping to half-formed conclusions based on what we know so far.

Deep breaths, folks. Deep breaths. Still a long way to go.

Here's the review by Matthew Leyland (oh, it's spoiler free, by the way):

http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cin...-into-darkness
Old April 26 2013, 08:42 PM   #490
ConRefit79
Captain

Franklin wrote: View Post
The following review by Matthew Leyland in "Total Film" just went up on Rotten Tomatoes. It's a rave without gushing and with some minimal criticisms.

The bad buzz some sense going around forums could be a case of nerves fueled by those who see the movie as contrary to the "vision thing" or those jumping to half-formed conclusions based on what we know so far.

Don't put too much stock in the critics' reviews. There have been many films they've gushed over, which ordinary movie goers thought were terrible.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:47 PM   #491
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I have my concerns, but it sounds like it'll be a fun ride if nothing else.
Old April 26 2013, 08:47 PM   #492
thumbtack
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
So what is an intelligent movie? Gimme an example.
All I know is that I'll fall out of my chair if a Star Trek movie is offered as an example...

First Contact is a profound and moving examination of the human condition. It presents us with a deeply affecting philosophical treatise on what it truly means to be very angry at space zombies.

It also thoughtfully and deftly tackles the daring topic of gun control. As Picard and his machine gun begin to mow down everything in the room, I was left thinking-

-oh, who am I kidding?

Old April 26 2013, 08:48 PM   #493
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
Franklin wrote: View Post

Don't put too much stock in the critics' reviews. There have been many films they've gushed over, which ordinary movie goers thought were terrible.

True, but it's definitely better to get good reviews before your big premiere than to get bad ones.
What happens after that remains to be seen.

Old April 26 2013, 08:53 PM   #494
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Crikey I need to watch OHMSS then because all these years I've skipped it!

When it comes to Bond movies though I actually like the Moore ones I must like the cheese & camp and it does not take itself seriously at all. They are fun!
OHMSS has some spectacular action, fine location work and a great John Barry score but those aspects and the folks back at HQ are about all it has in common with the Moore pictures, so be warned. If you could cut most of the stupidity out of FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, that'd be the only Moore it might even slightly resemble.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:55 PM   #495
trevanian
Rear Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Kruezerman wrote: View Post
So what is an intelligent movie? Gimme an example.
All I know is that I'll fall out of my chair if a Star Trek movie is offered as an example...

First Contact is a profound and moving examination of the human condition. It presents us with a deeply affecting philosophical treatise on what it truly means to be very angry at space zombies.

It also thoughtfully and deftly tackles the daring topic of gun control. As Picard and his machine gun begin to mow down everything in the room, I was left thinking-

-oh, who am I kidding?

man, don't stop! When I was reading that, i was imagining Seth Rogan saying this to Paul Rudd, and damn it was funny!
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote