Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old April 25 2013, 05:25 AM   #1
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

A Nova Squad or Red Squad Series

OK so in 2011 I was at the Vegas Trek convention. One of the panels had Anthony Pascale the editor for Trekmovie.com and commentator for some of the Trek movies. The panel with Pascale was about a potential future Trek series and what it would be about. When it ended he said he would like to see a series that focused on young cadets like Nova or Red Squad, set on Earth for the first season and then branch out in to space exploration for following seasons.

Why is ^this^ a "thing"? Braga wanted to do a whole season of ENT on Earth before getting in to space exploration. I'm sure everybody realizes that Trek seasons span about 25 episode per season. Could a show that hasn't been popular with the general public really softball it in for 25 episodes on Earth and not get cancelled? Why do persons of influence in the Trek community feel that camping the show on Earth would be a good thing?

Also what is up with trying to make a show about Red/Nova Squad? The 2 episodes we've seen elite cadets haven't painted the brightest picture of them, and I certainly wouldn't want to see an entire season of them doing whatever it is they do. Sounds like drek to me.

-Edit-
While I was at the panel a gentleman stood up and said that making a show as was described would basically be Star Trek: The OC for it's first season. Pretty young actors with nothing to do but live life as the best and smartest at Star Fleet Academy. Not saying that I agree with the man's terminology but with shows getting axed left and right these days and using cadets, the appeal would be for the teen/young adult audience. TPTB may just make Star Trek: The OC if they were to revive it for tv

Last edited by AllStarEntprise; April 25 2013 at 08:03 AM.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: A Nova Squad or Red Squad Series

I wouldn't mind a series about Cadets if done well (though it does have the potential pitfall of just becoming "future teen drama"). It would have a set run of four years, could focus on a core group of say six characters (maximum of two full-blooded humans), with potential for plenty of recurring characters as well and the occassional cameo from other series (depending on when its set).

Setting it on Earth for a year might not be such a bad thing, as it would force TPTB away from lazy stories that involve space anomaly / alien of the week, which winds up with lots of complicated technobabble or phasers firing. They would have to focus of characterisation, development and relationships between the group, looking at the future of Starfleet before they know what they're doing. It would also be (to a large extent) serialised, with previous events impacting on their lives as they work towards the ultimate goal of becoming officers, which would avoid the damn reset button VOY favoured.

The characters would also move away from their set duties, as you wouldn't necessarily need someone who is an engineer, doctor, etc. There would also be one who saw themselves as the 'leader' and others who would know what they wanted to do with themselves, but then you'd also have the aimless ones, who were brainwashed by recruitment adverts to enroll. Plus there would be no reason for inappropriate low-cut, skin-tight catsuits, as they'd all be in uniform.

Then when they get out into space then it could become more of an anthology series, with all/most of the characters gone in different directions, what they get up to and experience, as well as having potential of building up some big plots that bring them all back together.
Old April 25 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I dunno, it sounds like Top Gun In Space to me, only on Earth.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:19 AM   #4
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Future teen drama is fine by me. Smallville in space, with occasional training missions more akin to the Trek we know.

I can see Red Squad being part of an academy-based series but not the focus. They'd be the elitist douchebag jocks of the academy, and when Kirk finally gets to be one of them he no doubt finds they're up to no good and has to bring them down from within.
Old April 25 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Future teen drama is fine by me. Smallville in space, with occasional training missions more akin to the Trek we know.

I can see Red Squad being part of an academy-based series but not the focus. They'd be the elitist douchebag jocks of the academy, and when Kirk finally gets to be one of them he no doubt finds they're up to no good and has to bring them down from within.
Thanks for reminding me, it's been 2 years so I had forgotten this detail. Pascale said their would be training missions within the Alpha and Beta Quadrant planets like Vulcan, Kronos, etc. But it would all be supervised. These cadets wouldn't be getting a ship like Red Squad in "Valiant". Earth and academy life would be the focus. If done well we could get something like SeeD cadets in Final Fantasy VIII. However this can stumble into a ditch badley.

Also this will be set post-Nemesis/Romulus blowing up from JJ's Trek. Yes that detail will be canon to any potential new series he said. He's a big fan of JJ Trek.
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

No thanks.

If it's under the Star Trek banner, I'd rather go back to big-action heroes exploring the weird and wild unknown.
Old April 25 2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
No thanks.

If it's under the Star Trek banner, I'd rather go back to big-action heroes exploring the weird and wild unknown.
QFT
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
DCR
Lieutenant Commander

Less than no interest.

Not interested in teen drama, and am so tired of shows set on Earth. If it's going to be SF, or ST, I want it set in space. We have enough shows set on this planet.
DCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 05:41 PM   #9
LtChange
Commander

If there is a main series, and this would be a series targeting younger audience, maybe I would turn on from time to time. But fact is that I don't care about teen dramas, so if this would be the only Star Trek series I would be very disappointed, but as no other Trek series would be around I would probably watch it ...
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

They should it like the Seafort books:

As Riker bent the strapping Cadet over the chair, he reassured him "This will hurt you more than me"

"Don't you mean me more than you sir?" replied the cadet

"No Son, I know what I mean" and with that Riker started thrashing the cadet
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 06:56 PM   #11
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

no cadet series, got to be another series about a team set in space for sure.
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:05 PM   #12
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ooh... here's a good idea. Why don't we do a 24th century reality show set at Quark's.... actually that might be entertaining.
Old April 26 2013, 07:10 PM   #13
surak-toc
Lieutenant Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
Ooh... here's a good idea. Why don't we do a 24th century reality show set at Quark's.... actually that might be entertaining.
Seems like it could work as an internet web show
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

No "reality" TV show is ever interesting
Old April 26 2013, 07:26 PM   #15
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post