TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 26 2013, 05:21 AM   #76
Kenbushway
Captain

Re: Shopping for healthier food. Need Help.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eight-l...me/detail.aspx

I think this would be great but its probably isn't the healthiest thing is it?
Old April 26 2013, 05:34 AM   #77
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^That's a hell of a dessert -- and yeah, easily as much sugar and fat as a cake. If you want a healthful fruit salad just mix all your fruit in a bowl with som plain yogurt, a dash of vanilla, and maybe some coconut. Top with a dallap of whipped cream and you've still got dessert, but a lot healthier.
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
^tsq, that sounds delicious!

I found a tasty hummus at Aldi's (grocery store). I tried the red pepper hummus and found it to be addictive and delicious. I have yet to try making my own hummus. It was easier to buy it on my first tasting.

Now that I know I like it, I want to make my own. Is it OK to use canned chickpeas? That is all we have around here.

The nearest farmer's market to me is in Charlotte, North Carolina. That is over an hour drive, not to mention that I hate driving in the big city. I have become comfortable with my rural home... perhaps, too much.
You should totally make your own, homemade is the best! And yes, canned chickpeas are perfect. Chickpeas are actually really hard to deal with dry. You can soak and boil the fuckers for days and they never seem to get fully tender!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:39 AM   #78
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^That's a hell of a dessert -- and yeah, easily as much sugar and fat as a cake. If you want a healthful fruit salad just mix all your fruit in a bowl with som plain yogurt, a dash of vanilla, and maybe some coconut. Top with a dallap of whipped cream and you've still got dessert, but a lot healthier.
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
^tsq, that sounds delicious!

I found a tasty hummus at Aldi's (grocery store). I tried the red pepper hummus and found it to be addictive and delicious. I have yet to try making my own hummus. It was easier to buy it on my first tasting.

Now that I know I like it, I want to make my own. Is it OK to use canned chickpeas? That is all we have around here.

The nearest farmer's market to me is in Charlotte, North Carolina. That is over an hour drive, not to mention that I hate driving in the big city. I have become comfortable with my rural home... perhaps, too much.
You should totally make your own, homemade is the best! And yes, canned chickpeas are perfect. Chickpeas are actually really hard to deal with dry. You can soak and boil the fuckers for days and they never seem to get fully tender!
Thanks, tsq! I have some "garlic in brine with spices" (yeah, it's in a jar from the dollar store). I'm thinking this would be great in a homemade hummus. I cannot handle black pepper, but am open to ideas for other ingredients to add. I'm excited about making this as soon as I buy the chickpeas. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old April 26 2013, 05:51 AM   #79
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

chick peas, garlic, some olive oil, lemon and some tahini, though you can leave either the olive oil or tahini out if you don't have them. Just don''t leave both of them out. It's very simple because there is no way to ruin it and any combination of more or less of something is good.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:53 AM   #80
Kenbushway
Captain

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^That's a hell of a dessert -- and yeah, easily as much sugar and fat as a cake. If you want a healthful fruit salad just mix all your fruit in a bowl with som plain yogurt, a dash of vanilla, and maybe some coconut. Top with a dallap of whipped cream and you've still got dessert, but a lot healthier.!
Wow. I just realized the nutrition info below the recipe.

Sugars 44.2g

Holy crap, you weren't kidding.
Old April 26 2013, 05:59 AM   #81
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

teacake wrote: View Post
chick peas, garlic, some olive oil, lemon and some tahini, though you can leave either the olive oil or tahini out if you don't have them. Just don''t leave both of them out. It's very simple because there is no way to ruin it and any combination of more or less of something is good.
I don't have tahini, but everything else is in stock. I now have a recipe for garlic hummus! Yay me.
Old April 26 2013, 08:43 AM   #82
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Remember the garlic increases over time.. so if it's not quite garlicky enough it will be tomorrow I like it with lots of lemon myself.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:56 AM   #83
lurok
Commodore

That fruit salad recipe does feed 12 though . So as long as you don't eat it all in one go. And could probably skip the cream cheese...
Old April 26 2013, 03:05 PM   #84
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Sector7, definitely get some tahini, in my opinion it's the best part! It's actually not too tough to find. Easy as pie in Seattle and NYC, but when my mom moved to a tiny town I was worried they might not have it. The Safeway by her carried it, though. You can get a big orange tin of it for about $7, usually in the "ethnic" food aisle or by the peanut butter.

Also, hummus us great for experimentation. I love it plain, but occasionally I like to throw something else in the blender with it. a few kalamata olives are delicious mixed in, as well as dried tomatoes or roasted red pepper. Have fun!

teacake wrote: View Post
Remember the garlic increases over time.. so if it's not quite garlicky enough it will be tomorrow I like it with lots of lemon myself.
Personally I like just a dash of lemon, but I love garlic so much that my hummus will make your mouth peel!

Old April 26 2013, 04:49 PM   #85
Pingfah
Admiral

They say the more garlic you eat, the less you smell of it. I hope that's true, since I get through at least a bulb a week.
Old April 26 2013, 04:58 PM   #86
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
They say the more garlic you eat, the less you smell of it. I hope that's true, since I get through at least a bulb a week.
I smell of light citrus and rainbows no matter what I eat.

Old April 26 2013, 06:26 PM   #87
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I smell vaguely of ozone and freezing fluid. Must be the science.
Old April 26 2013, 06:43 PM   #88
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist

View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Oh, shut up. You're Italian. You smell of garlic and only garlic and you know it.
Old April 26 2013, 07:00 PM   #89
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Squiggy wrote: View Post
iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Oh, shut up. You're Italian. You smell of garlic and only garlic and you know it.
Hey, that's me who smell...uh oh, wait, nothing
Old April 26 2013, 07:07 PM   #90
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Actually, the use of garlic in Italian cuisine is vastly overrated overseas. In fact, I found that most foreign people trying to cook Italian overdo the garlic, compensating with bulk what they lack in finesse and balance.

I hardly ever use it, and only in specific recipes.