Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 144 19.38%
A 161 21.67%
A- 100 13.46%
B+ 82 11.04%
B 58 7.81%
B- 27 3.63%
C+ 40 5.38%
C 38 5.11%
C- 24 3.23%
D+ 11 1.48%
D 13 1.75%
D- 10 1.35%
F 35 4.71%
Voters: 743. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2013, 05:00 PM   #451
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Re: STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

throwback wrote: View Post
There are times when I could actually like alcohol and could get wasted by drinking an inordinate amount of the stuff. I think watching this film in that condition would help alleviate the fact that I bought the ticket and would help me ease my anal retentiveness as I watch the film. Of course, I will be watching the film, because I bought the bloody ticket. I feel obligated. Ugh.

Anyway, I won't be repeating that mistake with the video game. What is it with corporations calling games that no sane person would buy, because they are more than partially broken and are incapable of measuring to anything half-decent, canon?

I would like for whoever does the next film to respect that there are fans out there who aren't like them in the fact that they aren't rolling in money. For someone like Abrams, blowing nearly fifteen dollars on a film is nothing. For a poor person, that's a meal. So, that when they do make that film, they will produce a film that has a script with intelligence and common sense and there aren't plot holes big enough to drive one of their ridiculously large ships through, and where the characters are not eclipsed by special effects and sleight-of-hand gimmicks.
1. Stop crying and sell the ticket.
2. The game's pretty awesome thank you very much.
3. Shut up.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:01 PM   #452
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Anyway, I won't be repeating that mistake with the video game. What is it with corporations calling games that no sane person would buy, because they are more than partially broken and are incapable of measuring to anything half-decent, canon?
The video game is flawed but fun.

So, that when they do make that film, they will produce a film that has a script with intelligence and common sense and there aren't plot holes big enough to drive one of their ridiculously large ships through, and where the characters are not eclipsed by special effects and sleight-of-hand gimmicks.
Since I haven't seen the film yet I don't feel qualified to make the above judgement. If you feel that way going in, there's likely nothing that will change your mind.
Old April 26 2013, 05:14 PM   #453
throwback
Captain

Kruezerman, are you with Namco?

Anyhow, if there's anyone who lives in Contra Costa County, California, I will gladly mail you the ticket. Free of charge.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:21 PM   #454
GMDreia
Commander

Anyhow, if there's anyone who lives in Contra Costa County, California, I will gladly mail you the ticket. Free of charge.

Mememe! I'm in Contra Costa!

Old April 26 2013, 05:29 PM   #455
throwback
Captain

GMDreia,

I have sent you a message. I hope you got it.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:38 PM   #456
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Yes, I'm the President.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:40 PM   #457
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Of course, I will be watching the film, because I bought the bloody ticket. I feel obligated. Ugh.
Sell it!

because they are more than partially broken and are incapable of measuring to anything half-decent, canon?
No Star Trek games have ever been "canon".

I would like for whoever does the next film to respect that there are fans out there who aren't like them in the fact that they aren't rolling in money. For someone like Abrams, blowing nearly fifteen dollars on a film is nothing. For a poor person, that's a meal.
Since when has Paramount Pictures treated Star Trek as anything but a money earner? You're blaming JJ Abrams for the price of cinema tickets?

Wait till it comes to free TV. Buy an ex-rental DVD. Go on half-price Tuesday.

So, that when they do make that film, they will produce a film that has a script with intelligence and common sense and there aren't plot holes big enough to drive one of their ridiculously large ships through, and where the characters are not eclipsed by special effects and sleight-of-hand gimmicks.
Obviously you've forgotten all about STs I, II, III, IV, V, VI, "Generations", "First Contact", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis".
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:45 PM   #458
Deck 1 - Bridge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Deck 1 - Bridge wrote: View Post
I assume you didn't get around, just yet, to moderating your fellow BBS moderator who, several pages back, accused a fellow forumite of supporting, if not committing, motion picture piracy? I presume it's ok to flame people if you're a mod here?
I don't want to make extra trouble for M'Sharak, but I felt this needed to be clarified since in the midst of trying to throw someone else under the bus to distract attention away from your own over the top comments about drowning complainers, you managed to come to the completely opposite interpretation of what I actually said.

I asserted that they WOULDN'T be bootlegging the film and WOULD be paying the full price to see it in the theater so they could continue to argue with knowledge about the details of the film. There was no accusation of bootlegging on their part, just that sometimes they claim to have seen a bootleg at a friend's house so that they can brag about not wasting their money on the film. See the difference?

It's not even flaming even if I had said what you contend, and it sure is hell isn't remotely on par with saying you would like to drown people.
No, you implied piracy in regard of this particular film, and you know it. Backtracking now just makes it worse, you alleged a serious criminal offence, an offence that undermines the motion picture industry just to belittle the poster. And for the record, the poster was IMO talking tripe but he's entitled to his opinion without you resorting to pretty childish accusations to shut him down. Now your doing the same to me in telling me I've got it all wrong.

That's not even the point though, it's the poor moderating that reeks of double standards that's the issue. As if, given the choice, anyone would actually drown anyone/someone for not liking a Star Trek film, I mean come on, seriously? I presume most of us are able to understand context and nuance or are we all aspergic to a man, woman, child? (I am funnily enough)

7 people seem to have seen the film according to the poll, the hysteria and whining on this thread just isn't commensurate with the number of negative comments articulated within the thread.

Shakes head in disbelief!
Deck 1 - Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:48 PM   #459
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

it's the poor moderating that reeks of double standards that's the issue.
I went back looking for evidence of your complaints about the Mods - and failed to find any.

7 people seem to have seen the film according to the poll
And four of us voted A+. And even people who said it was average still had a great night at the cinema.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:51 PM   #460
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander

Rubbish, you implied piracy, and you know it. Backtracking now just makes it worse.
Uh, no. He really didn't. I read the same post as you and at no point did I ever have an inkling that he was was implying what you're accusing him of.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:51 PM   #461
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Kruezerman wrote: View Post
There are times when I could actually like alcohol and could get wasted by drinking an inordinate amount of the stuff. I think watching this film in that condition would help alleviate the fact that I bought the ticket and would help me ease my anal retentiveness as I watch the film. Of course, I will be watching the film, because I bought the bloody ticket. I feel obligated. Ugh.

I would like for whoever does the next film to respect that there are fans out there who aren't like them in the fact that they aren't rolling in money. For someone like Abrams, blowing nearly fifteen dollars on a film is nothing. For a poor person, that's a meal. So, that when they do make that film, they will produce a film that has a script with intelligence and common sense and there aren't plot holes big enough to drive one of their ridiculously large ships through, and where the characters are not eclipsed by special effects and sleight-of-hand gimmicks.
1. Stop crying and sell the ticket.
2. The game's pretty awesome thank you very much.
3. Shut up.
Such a well-reasoned discourse. Now how's about making a legitimate response? You could say that with the money involved that they have to appeal to allcomers, lowest -- or at least lower-- common denominator, that sort of thing.
Naah, takes too many characters, right? Maybe hang out on twitter if characters are such a precious commodity.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:53 PM   #462
BillJ
Admiral

Rubbish, you implied piracy, and you know it. Backtracking now just makes it worse.
I immediately understood what Robert Maxwell was talking about. Sometimes, when you haven't been here very long it's easy to misinterpret what another poster means.
Old April 26 2013, 05:55 PM   #463
BillJ
Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post

Such a well-reasoned discourse. Now how's about making a legitimate response?
Because well-reasoned, legitimate comments seem to be ignored.
Old April 26 2013, 05:58 PM   #464
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

If you're poor to the point where a movie ticket jeopardizes your next meal and you're still buying a movie ticket, then you probably deserve to be poor and won't get any sympathy from the majority of people out there.
Old April 26 2013, 06:00 PM   #465
BillJ
Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post

If you're poor to the point where a movie ticket jeopardizes your next meal and you're still buying a movie ticket, then you probably deserve to be poor and won't get any sympathy from the majority of people out there.
That and a matinee is only six bucks in these parts. People have options other than going at midnight opening night.