Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 17 2013, 11:50 PM   #31
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Re: What should be the next musical adapted for the movies?

Vanyel wrote: View Post
Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
^Already adapted as the 1963 film Gone Are the Days!, and as a 1981 made-for-TV movie version of the musical.
I thought Gone Are The Days! was the movie version of the play Purlie Victorious. Purlie premiered in 1970 while Gone Are The Days! was in 1963.

I do remember the 1981 filming of the musical that Showtime did, but it could still be a full movie instead of a recorded play.

There was a 2006 revival of Purlie on Broadway, so maybe it can be made into a movie musical.
My bad, you're right on that one.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 02:34 AM   #32
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

gblews wrote: View Post
^Already adapted as the 1963 film Gone Are the Days!, and as a 1981 made-for-TV movie version of the musical.
I thought Gone Are The Days! was the movie version of the play Purlie Victorious. Purlie premiered in 1970 while Gone Are The Days! was in 1963.
That's correct. I've never seen Purlie (would sure like too) but I have seen "Gone Are the Days" and it is one funny ass movie.
Couldn't find anything by Robert Guillamue, specifically Newfangled Preacher Man. But I did find two by Melba Moore as Lutiebelle singing Purlie and I Got Love from that Showtime adaptation.

Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2013, 04:15 AM   #33
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

Into the Woods is long overdue, and I'm glad it appears that it's going to be made. Company would be great, too.

Shenandoah would be an excellent musical on the big screen. I though it was going to be revived on Broadway a few years ago, but it fell through.

I would love to see A Chorus Line remade. The 1985 film SUCKED. They cut out some of the best songs (Hello 12, Hello 13, Hello Love and The Music and the Mirror). It should be done in its original time period (1970's) and leave the score intact!

ETA- I actually enjoyed the musical version of The Full Monty better than than movie, despite the change in location (Buffalo, NY instead of northern England). I wouldn't mind if it ended up on the big screen.
Old April 18 2013, 03:57 PM   #34
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

I still want to see Hugh Jackman as King Arthur in a remake of Camelot-hurry up Hollywood, before he gets too old!

He can also play Miguel de Cervantes/Don Quixote in a new movie version of Man of La Mancha.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 03:57 AM   #35
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

star trek the musical
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 02:47 PM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to see Wicked as a movie, despite knowing that it's destined to disappoint in that medium.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 08:16 AM   #37
acappellasaurus
Fleet Captain

I'll toss in a vote for "Into The Woods". What about "Avenue Q"?
acappellasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 08:47 PM   #38
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Into The Woods seems to be the favorite. It also seems to be the one with a shooting date of October 2013. So maybe, we'll be seeing it in Summer of 2014.
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 25 2013, 12:40 AM   #39
propita
Rear Admiral

I still want to see Hugh Jackman as King Arthur in a remake of Camelot-hurry up Hollywood, before he gets too old!

He can also play Miguel de Cervantes/Don Quixote in a new movie version of Man of La Mancha.
Though I like Camelot, if I had to pick one movie to be made, it would be your second suggestion--Man of La Mancha with Jackman. Or maybe Alfie Boe, though he's stockier than the traditionally lean DQ.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 02:40 AM   #40
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

A Chorus Line is the one needing a remake, followed by The Phantom of the Opera. Annie could probably do with a remake where Ms. Hannigan doesn't see the light. Jesus Christ, Superstar might also benefit from a remake but songs like What's The Buzz might show the musical's age too much; but maybe with a strong Judas, Jesus and Mary Magdalene it might work.
--Julia Sugarbaker
Old April 25 2013, 08:40 PM   #41
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

propita wrote: View Post

Though I like Camelot, if I had to pick one movie to be made, it would be your second suggestion--Man of La Mancha with Jackman. Or maybe Alfie Boe, though he's stockier than the traditionally lean DQ.
My vote would be for Alfie Boe, much better voice.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 06:51 AM   #42
lurok
Commodore

Jesus Christ, Superstar might also benefit from a remake but songs like What's The Buzz might show the musical's age too much; but maybe with a strong Judas, Jesus and Mary Magdalene it might work.
I suspect I might be a rare fan of the movie, but yes, it is very dated . Tim Minchin did Judas recently in London; wish I'd got a chance to see. And Chorus Line is currently in revival as well; only one I haven't seen yet of the recent West End runs (Wicked, Little Shop..., Chicago, Guys & Dolls, Kiss Me Kate et al).

Hope not derailing too much, but are there any 'bad' musicals people here love? I have a soft spot for At Long Last Love, Lost Horizon and Song of Norway . And adore Ken Russell's The Boyfriend. Guess I just love musicals in their infinite variety.
Old April 26 2013, 09:10 AM   #43
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

lurok wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ, Superstar might also benefit from a remake but songs like What's The Buzz might show the musical's age too much; but maybe with a strong Judas, Jesus and Mary Magdalene it might work.
I suspect I might be a rare fan of the movie, but yes, it is very dated . Tim Minchin did Judas recently in London; wish I'd got a chance to see. And Chorus Line is currently in revival as well; only one I haven't seen yet of the recent West End runs (Wicked, Little Shop..., Chicago, Guys & Dolls, Kiss Me Kate et al).

Hope not derailing too much, but are there any 'bad' musicals people here love? I have a soft spot for At Long Last Love, Lost Horizon and Song of Norway . And adore Ken Russell's The Boyfriend. Guess I just love musicals in their infinite variety.
Don't get me wrong, I love the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. Ted Neeley, as Jesus was great, I loved him singing Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say) and Carl Anderson's Judas is amazing. Yvonne Elliman was just as good as the two male leads. I pull the movie out and watch when I feel the buzz. But it might be time for an updating, I've always wondered what it'd be like without the surreal aspect of the Romans in Muscle shirts and holding machine guns. Or of full sets being used instead of ruins.

As for bad musicals that I like, Grease 2 does have some catch songs, Cool Rider; funny songs that might not have been meant to be funny Whose That Guy, and songs that go back and forth between silly and decent Girl for All Seasons/(Love Will) Turn Back the Hands of Time.

I love musicals too.
--Julia Sugarbaker

Last edited by Vanyel; April 26 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old April 26 2013, 01:39 PM   #44
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=lurok;8004478]

At Long Last Love and Lost Horizon were like watching the proverbial train wreck. Song of Norway should have been marketed as a cure for insomnia. I actually like The Boy Friend with its ingenious play-within-a-movie conceit. It's just a bit over-produced with the musical fantasy sequences. But then, no one ever accused Ken Russell of understatement.
Old April 26 2013, 05:30 PM   #45
Kira's Mummy
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mummy's Twitter Profile

lurok wrote: View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie Jesus Christ Superstar. Ted Neeley, as Jesus was great, I loved him singing Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say) and Carl Anderson's Judas is amazing. Yvonne Elliman was just as good as the two male leads. I pull the movie out and watch when I feel the buzz. But it might be time for an updating, I've always wondered what it'd be like without the surreal aspect of the Romans in Muscle shirts and holding machine guns. Or of full sets being used instead of ruins.

As for bad musicals that I like, Grease 2 does have some catch songs, Cool Rider; funny songs that might not have been meant to be funny Whose That Guy, and songs that go back and forth between silly and decent Girl for All Seasons/(Love Will) Turn Back the Hands of Time.

I love musicals too.
I never understood the hate Ted Neeley got for Jesus Christ Superstar. I saw him in a stage production of it about 15 years ago, and though he was a little bit too old, he still rocked the part.