Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old April 21 2013, 09:37 PM   #46
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Enterprise Cutaway Coming From Dragon Models

Lenny Nurdbol wrote: View Post
Here it goes again, the old bait and switch... Top paragraph: "I'm a huge fan of FJ's work..." Bottom paragraph: "FJ didn't know jackshit..."
You might want to re-read Albertese's post because at no point did he say anything like "FJ didn't know jackshit."

I'm curious if you've seen Matt Jefferies original Enterprise cutaway? You know, that 20-deck one that appears in The Making of Star Trek. That's how the man who designed the USS Enterprise envisioned her interior. Surely he's the guy who should have final say on the interior of his ship?
Old April 21 2013, 10:38 PM   #47
publiusr
Commodore

Bless anyone who gives a good effort at trying a cut away
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 05:39 AM   #48
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Here it goes again, the old bait and switch... Top paragraph: "I'm a huge fan of FJ's work..." Bottom paragraph: "FJ didn't know jackshit..."
You might want to re-read Albertese's post because at no point did he say anything like "FJ didn't know jackshit."

I'm curious if you've seen Matt Jefferies original Enterprise cutaway? You know, that 20-deck one that appears in The Making of Star Trek. That's how the man who designed the USS Enterprise envisioned her interior. Surely he's the guy who should have final say on the interior of his ship?
Yeah, and nobody follows that one either, just like the shuttlecraft drawings... Some things just don't work out to be practical when taken to the next level, like actual deck plans... Bottom line: the exterior has to match the Interior sets, and to do so usually means the draftsman has to Compromise somewhere, and That's where all sorts of nasty little disagreements start to surface among fans, screaming that this or that isn't accurate! Well, you just can't have it Both ways sometimes...

And remember also that Jefferies is the guy who put photo torpedo tubes in the Upper primary hull--a fact that fans too young to have been alive back then have bitched about--and unfairly blamed--FJ for...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 05:50 AM   #49
Lenny Nurdbol
Lieutenant Commander

Regarding some earlier posts...

1. I was, of course, paraphrasing "jack shit" so don't quote me on it... I was emphasizing the Attitude, nothing more...

2. I'm new here, cut me some slack...

3. As I've said, FJ's got the best overall blueprints and they've withstood the test of time... You got better? Show me 'em... I've gone over different ones put together in recent years and they vary in quality and often seem to leave important things out (like life support systems in one!)... Seems kinda late (like close to 50 years) to go back and change something that's been around so long...and on an Old ship... And after various decks and compartments were referenced in countless novels and novelizations over such a period of time... And after the blueprints inspired Other blueprints which used the same format... And, and, and...
Lenny Nurdbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2013, 02:56 PM   #50
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
Bless anyone who makes the attempt at bringing a thoroughly derailed thread back on topic.

Although I wouldn't necessary call this cut away effort good...Just my opinion, though.
Old April 23 2013, 05:24 PM   #51
Robert Comsol
Commodore

As I've said, FJ's got the best overall blueprints and they've withstood the test of time... You got better? Show me 'em...
Since you asked for it, there you go:

(latest addition to my TOS Enterprise deck plan thread, post # 156)

If you mean "better" like in "looking better" I will not take part in such a debate because it'll be a question of personal taste and I rather devote my time to assemble the deck plans.

If you mean "better" like in "screen-accurate" I've just provided an example.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2013, 05:46 PM   #52
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I didn't know that starships had flying walls!
Old April 23 2013, 08:47 PM   #53
Albertese
Commodore

See? There you go! That's great. Finally getting up to the saucer, huh?? Love it.

--Alex
Old April 23 2013, 10:54 PM   #54
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

publiusr wrote: View Post
QFT.

For example, the excellent effort by Aridas Sofia, seen here: http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/1701...y%20final2.png
Old April 24 2013, 07:52 AM   #55
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Mysterion wrote: View Post
For example, the excellent effort by Aridas Sofia, seen here: http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/1701...y%20final2.png
I never get tired of seeing this one.
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 01:02 PM   #56
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Yeah, that is a terrific extrapolation of Matt Jeffries' original cutaway. Any chance of seeing more detailed views some day?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 02:21 PM   #57
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I've always loved how it brilliantly solves the "where's engineering" problem that has often plagued this and other Treknology boards. Although I do have to ask...where's the bowling alley?
Old April 26 2013, 03:45 AM   #58
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I've always loved how it brilliantly solves the "where's engineering" problem that has often plagued this and other Treknology boards. Although I do have to ask...where's the bowling alley?
In the primary hull, just above the weapons decks, is the TAS holodeck. I envisioned that as having a program like Hyperbowl only totally 3D and immersive. So, you could bowl in a 20th century bowling alley or on the Appian Way in ancient Rome or on a bowling green in colonial New Amsterdam or in a mudbath with the Prime Sus of Tellar.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 06:20 AM   #59
Masao
Fleet Captain

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
...or in a mudbath with the Prime Sus of Tellar.
Anti-Tellar bias!!! Next you'll be telling us that M'Ress poops in a big box of sand! Shame!

( as if adding this were necessary)
Old April 26 2013, 02:14 PM   #60
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
In the primary hull, just above the weapons decks, is the TAS holodeck. I envisioned that as having a program like Hyperbowl only totally 3D and immersive. So, you could bowl in a 20th century bowling alley or on the Appian Way in ancient Rome or on a bowling green in colonial New Amsterdam or in a mudbath with the Prime Sus of Tellar.
AH yes, the TAS holodeck - forgot about that one. I notice a lot of other little TAS callouts on there as well. Quite possibly one of the best cutaways of the Connie since FJ - well done!