Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 24 2013, 07:39 PM   #46
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The changes in the Enterprise-D bridge in Generations...

I understand the whole technology unchained concept since the bridge crew felt a lot smaller, and for the most part Riker and Troi never had an official station. They just sat there and advised for the most part. Troi was counselor, and theoretically communications, but Worf handled hailing. So overall, the most vital sections on the bridge were Ops, Security, and Helm. The design was appropriate for that.

However I think it was not that pragmatic of a design. There's been so many episodes where Data was in the rear section, and had to turn around to either talk to the captain, or view the view screen. When Gordi goes on the bridge, he would transfer controls to that stations. The rear stations looked like they were designed to be axillary stations or multipurpose stations. Additionally, half the bridge was higher than the captain's chair, requiring most major battle scenes to be done with Picard standing. It was a huge blind spot. Yes for filming, standing automatically implies more action, however from a pragmatic perspective it was needed to allow Picard a greater view of the bridge and stations to assess the situation. You could contrast that with TOS bridge, Voyager's bridge, Ent-E's bridge or the Defiant's bridge where the captains could assess thing easily while on their chair. Moving science, engineering and communications to the sides and elevating the captain's chair makes sense because it's a more efficient design. The back stations could simply be axillary and they don't have to have extras for that. That's how they handeled the bridge on Voyager and the subsequent Ent-E.
wingsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2013, 09:29 PM   #47
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Is it really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge? Kirk's bridge allowed him to do that, but that may have been more of a luxury than an absolute necessity. I think on some real navy ships, the captain's chair is at the front of the bridge with various stations behind it.
Old April 25 2013, 02:46 AM   #48
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
The bridge didn't have extra stations because they didn't want a bridge full of control consoles. It was the whole "technology unchained" idea: with all the high tech, you don't need a bunch of people sitting at stations all day. The rear stations were they for the odd times they wanted/needed them. It wasn't a matter of money, 4x3 considerations or whatever else you want to invent.

And you don't need a wide set to shoot widescreen, you just have to know how to frame a shot.
Framing Worf in was hard even in 4:3. I'm kinda surprised they didn't wind up dutching low-angle shots past Picard looking up at him. Ideally, they should have built a little sinkhole for him to stand in to bring him down in the frame (especially given the actor's height.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:25 AM   #49
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Is it really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge? Kirk's bridge allowed him to do that, but that may have been more of a luxury than an absolute necessity. I think on some real navy ships, the captain's chair is at the front of the bridge with various stations behind it.
It's not really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge, but it's more efficient, more pragmatic. I never said the changes were necessary, just said the changes to the bridge made sense because it was more pragmatic.
Old April 26 2013, 01:28 AM   #50
wingsabre
Lieutenant Junior Grade

trevanian wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
The bridge didn't have extra stations because they didn't want a bridge full of control consoles. It was the whole "technology unchained" idea: with all the high tech, you don't need a bunch of people sitting at stations all day. The rear stations were they for the odd times they wanted/needed them. It wasn't a matter of money, 4x3 considerations or whatever else you want to invent.

And you don't need a wide set to shoot widescreen, you just have to know how to frame a shot.
Framing Worf in was hard even in 4:3. I'm kinda surprised they didn't wind up dutching low-angle shots past Picard looking up at him. Ideally, they should have built a little sinkhole for him to stand in to bring him down in the frame (especially given the actor's height.)
The captain's chair was also set several feet below where Worf stood.
Old April 26 2013, 06:08 AM   #51
trevanian
Rear Admiral

That's what I mean, you needed a drop to plop Worf into so he wasn't this big vertical crossbar at odds with 4:3 framing (unless you're 4:3 IMAX with the '4' being the vertical dimension rather than the horizontal one.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2013, 11:50 AM   #52
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

wingsabre wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It's not really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge, but it's more efficient, more pragmatic.
Not really. It truly is more of luxury than a necessity. The more important thing is for a bridge station to be within earshot of a captain.
I never said the changes were necessary, just said the changes to the bridge made sense because it was more pragmatic.
It's not even pragmatic. It's just something some fans are used to seeing from TOS.
Old April 28 2013, 08:10 PM   #53
publiusr
Commodore

I rather liked the movie bridge myself. On widescreen, it was probably thought that the mostly empty design wouldn't film well. I seem to remember a documentary well they had to tell Frakes and Stewart to not stand so close to one another, which they had to do for TV.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote