Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old April 25 2013, 06:33 PM   #91
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: Do we want to know the Doctor's secret?

DalekJim wrote: View Post
It makes no sense for there to be a random button that makes a random bit of ledge disappear. It's a deus ex machina that has no logical place in the story.
It makes emotional sense, it's surprising, funny and deeply satisfactory because it's the tenth Doctor first significant victory. But no, it doesn't make sense in a real-world-logic way, and I can see how that could be annoying if you're interested in that kind of things.

Well, Black Mirror is a show that deconstructs and satirises the media whereas RTD just filled the show with as much celebrity culture as is possible in order to grab ratings. This had the effect of making it date very fast. What was "cool" in 2006, now looks incredibly lame, dated and confused. Your mileage may vary.
It does vary, yes. I can remember quite a few stories where pop culture was satirized in RTD's Doctor Who. Just off the top of my head, the Britney Spears song in The End of the World, a song which, quite obviously no one remembers and no one really listens to and is only played because a bunch of decadent rich people desperately want to feel a connection to old Earth but can't because they can't be bothered to learn anything about it, is, in my opinion, a clever pop culture reference.
Old April 25 2013, 08:03 PM   #92
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Every show dates - How are the pop culture references any different or worse than Ian dancing around the TARDIS to the Beetles when they tune into Top of the Pops?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:30 PM   #93
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Because almost 50 years later, The Beatles are still relevent, whereas McFly, What Not To Wear and Big Brother won't have the same luck.

I think Doctor Who should always have an anti-ignorance agenda, so I don't like a lot of RTD's indulgences.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 08:59 PM   #94
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

This whole "He's got a secret" nonsense is a byproduct of that stupid Cartmel Masterplan isn't it?
Old April 25 2013, 09:31 PM   #95
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Well, I think the characterisation of The Doctor in S25 and S26 is the best ever so I wouldn't mind if it was.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 09:37 PM   #96
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

captain crow wrote: View Post
This whole "He's got a secret" nonsense is a byproduct of that stupid Cartmel Masterplan isn't it?
Not really. The First Doctor had many secrets. In the beginning his name (which is still a secret of some kind), his time/place of origin and why he was seemingly exiled from his home were all mysteries. The Cartmel Masterplan was an attempt to re-inject some mystery into the Doctor after much of his origins had been revealed over the first 25 years of the program. There are many who feel that the mysteries surrounding the Doctor is part of his charm as a character & the series has attempted to maintain some mystery. This has been played up in recent years, but its been a part of the series since day one.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2013, 11:28 PM   #97
captain crow
Fleet Captain

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
Not really.
You sure? The Cartmel Masterplan is were the "there's a big secret about the Doctor" stuff started.

The First Doctor had many secrets. In the beginning his name (which is still a secret of some kind), his time/place of origin and why he was seemingly exiled from his home were all mysteries.
One always came off as deeming those details as unimportant rather than being secretive about them. So I see those as omissions rather than secrets.

The Cartmel Masterplan was an attempt to re-inject some mystery into the Doctor after much of his origins had been revealed over the first 25 years of the program.
I know the reason for it but, it's like an awful fanfic.

I mean honestly, a reincarnation of one of founding members of Time Lord society The Other. Not to mention the looms.
Old April 26 2013, 02:20 AM   #98
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

I mean honestly, a reincarnation of one of founding members of Time Lord society The Other. Not to mention the looms.
In a way, it is an awful fanfic, because that's what the show had become at that point. That's not what we're getting now, though.
Old April 26 2013, 04:04 AM   #99
captain crow
Fleet Captain

The current show has been in fanfic territory too.
Old April 26 2013, 04:23 AM   #100
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Complaints about shows being "fanfic" = "But it's not MY fanfic!!"
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:14 AM   #101
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Klaus wrote: View Post
Complaints about shows being "fanfic" = "But it's not MY fanfic!!"
Yeah, because anyone who points out a show has turned fanfic-ish is automatically a disgruntled fanfic writer.

Old April 26 2013, 05:33 AM   #102
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I was never really happy with the resolution of the "masterplan" as seen in the Virgin NAs. I enjoyed the hints dropped in the last couple seasons of the Classic Series that The Doctor had some mysterious connection to the "Dark Times" on Gallifrey and might be "more than just another Time Lord" and even enjoyed quite a lot of the build up in the NAs, but the reveal left me wanting a lot. And I always felt as if the Looms were created solely to make it impossible for Susan to simply be the Doctor's granddaughter as stated in the series. I'm not sure why, but some fans always seemed to have issues with that.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:32 AM   #103
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The long running theory about that is there is an element of fandom that is frightened by the vagina and by association want the Doctor to be as well. The idea that Susan is not his granddaughter only seems to gather steam when the uber-nerds are the only ones running the show (so to speak).
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:46 AM   #104
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

The current show has been in fanfic territory too.
I don't agree. What I mean when I say that the show used to feel like fanfic is that it was needlessly self-referential to the point of being creatively sterile. I don't think the same can be said of the current show.
Old April 26 2013, 08:16 AM   #105
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Because almost 50 years later, The Beatles are still relevent, whereas McFly, What Not To Wear and Big Brother won't have the same luck.
Popped ahead via your Tardis to tell us that, did you?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote