RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,585
Posts: 5,403,671
Members: 24,867
Currently online: 629
Newest member: jack@gerryander

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 26 2013, 03:58 AM   #31
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: Janeways Ready Room

I really don't the think Janeway's ready room was all that bigger than Picards. She had those big windows and the room was mostly green and grey. Picard just had the one narrow window and his room was a coral color. Cool colors make a room seem bigger, warm colors make a room seem smaller. Watch a ready room scene with the saturation turned all the way down, you'll see what I mean.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:10 AM   #32
Queen Arachnia
Commodore
 
Queen Arachnia's Avatar
 
Location: aka Captain Kathryn
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Eh... it's not like she designed the thing. I wouldn't call her a diva when she had no control over it. Whoever designed the ship would have created the ready room, regardless of who is captain.

And yeah, her ready room was big, but it seemed a little bit cold. Not much going on in there.
__________________
Assimilate more Janeway...among other stuff! Captain Kathryn's Tumblr
Queen Arachnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 04:28 AM   #33
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
I really don't the think Janeway's ready room was all that bigger than Picards. She had those big windows and the room was mostly green and grey. Picard just had the one narrow window and his room was a coral color. Cool colors make a room seem bigger, warm colors make a room seem smaller. Watch a ready room scene with the saturation turned all the way down, you'll see what I mean.
Too much work mate. The big picture is... Voyager: tiny ass ship, big ass ready room, tiny ass pompous captain, too big for her britches

Enterprise: Big CITY lights. Stalwart captain.. gets a broom closet for a ready room. Where is the damned equality now?!
Defiant Obrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:41 AM   #34
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Eh... it's not like she designed the thing. I wouldn't call her a diva when she had no control over it. Whoever designed the ship would have created the ready room, regardless of who is captain.
If it was Picard's ready room no one would be saying a thing. Just a bunch of crappy ass commentary on women and their closets.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 05:49 AM   #35
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote:
Dude I dunno where you got these but while the porportions look close, the scale cant possibly be accurate.. Picards room looks way bigger than it is on the show. I also note the lack of the couch he kept behind the chairs.
There is a couch, but it's not visible in that render due to my bad choice of angled lighting which is creating shadows. There may also be a recessed area there, I haven't used the set much. The couch is where that dark area is at the bottom. There's also no fish tank and few room decorations, except for what seems to be an empty bookcase. The door to the bridge would be at lower left, but it's part of the included bridge set. Both sets shown above were found at Renderosity. It can be tough to get good camera angles on them without making some walls invisible or opening doors, depending on lens size. There may be some scale problems, but I'm not using the sets for an authentic Trek project.

Here's another angle in a quickie render, with a figure seated at the desk and alternate textures and 28mm lens. I think the show used 20 or 25. The door visible leads to the little alcove where presumably the captain's private head would be:
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; April 26 2013 at 06:05 AM.
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 06:37 AM   #36
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Melakon wrote: View Post
Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote:
Dude I dunno where you got these but while the porportions look close, the scale cant possibly be accurate.. Picards room looks way bigger than it is on the show. I also note the lack of the couch he kept behind the chairs.
There is a couch, but it's not visible in that render due to my bad choice of angled lighting which is creating shadows. There may also be a recessed area there, I haven't used the set much. The couch is where that dark area is at the bottom. There's also no fish tank and few room decorations, except for what seems to be an empty bookcase. The door to the bridge would be at lower left, but it's part of the included bridge set. Both sets shown above were found at Renderosity. It can be tough to get good camera angles on them without making some walls invisible or opening doors, depending on lens size. There may be some scale problems, but I'm not using the sets for an authentic Trek project.

Here's another angle in a quickie render, with a figure seated at the desk and alternate textures and 28mm lens. I think the show used 20 or 25. The door visible leads to the little alcove where presumably the captain's private head would be:
Things like camera angles, lighting and even the colors of the walls and furniture all alter the perception of the actual size of any television set, and that is what we are talking about. The first thing you need to realize is that Voyager's sets were by and large redressed TNG sets. They changed the angles sometimes and the shapes of the windows but with the exception of the bridges you are looking at the same sets.

This becomes even more clear when you realize that the sets used for the Enterprise E are redressed Voyager sets again with the bridge being the exception. The reason that Voyager got a Stellar Cartography lab in their fifth season was because the set was built for "First Contact". Heck they even used Voyager's Sick Bay set without hardly changing a thing. Picard's quarters are Janeway's.

Does it hurt the enjoyment of the Voyager's series just because you perceive that Janeway's Ready Room is bigger than Picards? I have all the issues of the Star Trek Magazine, in various issues are schematics of every ship, from Enterprise to Voyager and finally Enterprise E, some of which you can now find on line. The art of Set Decoration depends on the ability to fool the eye.

But if you want proof, simply watch TNG and Voyager and when you get to the ready room, count the steps of the person waling up to the Captain's desk. If you leave a little jiggle room for actor height you will see that we are talking about comparable size.
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 06:44 AM   #37
Defiant Obrien
Lieutenant
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Brit wrote: View Post
Does it hurt the enjoyment of the Voyager's series just because you perceive that Janeway's Ready Room is bigger than Picards? I have all the issues of the Star Trek Magazine, in various issues are schematics of every ship, from Enterprise to Voyager and finally Enterprise E, some of which you can now find on line. The art of Set Decoration depends on the ability to fool the eye.

But if you want proof, simply watch TNG and Voyager and when you get to the ready room, count the steps of the person waling up to the Captain's desk. If you leave a little jiggle room for actor height you will see that we are talking about comparable size.
The point is that Janeway has no business having a ready room "perceived to be that big" When she has a tiny ass 150 person ship .. compared to picards 900+ people on the galaxy class enterprise.. She doesnt need it.. nor does she deserve it.

This is just more "over the topness" with Voyager.. some of the other posters were spot on with their assessment of this series
Defiant Obrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:14 AM   #38
Brit
Captain
 
Brit's Avatar
 
Location: Texas
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Defiant Obrien wrote: View Post
Brit wrote: View Post
Does it hurt the enjoyment of the Voyager's series just because you perceive that Janeway's Ready Room is bigger than Picards? I have all the issues of the Star Trek Magazine, in various issues are schematics of every ship, from Enterprise to Voyager and finally Enterprise E, some of which you can now find on line. The art of Set Decoration depends on the ability to fool the eye.

But if you want proof, simply watch TNG and Voyager and when you get to the ready room, count the steps of the person waling up to the Captain's desk. If you leave a little jiggle room for actor height you will see that we are talking about comparable size.
The point is that Janeway has no business having a ready room "perceived to be that big" When she has a tiny ass 150 person ship .. compared to picards 900+ people on the galaxy class enterprise.. She doesnt need it.. nor does she deserve it.

This is just more "over the topness" with Voyager.. some of the other posters were spot on with their assessment of this series
No some of the other posters are in agreement with you, that doesn't make you or them right or wrong. However that doesn't make people that like Voyager and Kathryn Janeway right or wrong either. But truthfully why would you waste your time with something you dislike so much? All I know you had to dig down pretty deeply to even think of this one, haven't you got better things to do?

You nit pick is born out of cutting costs of sets and productions, it isn't about who is getting a bigger office. That thought probably never crossed anyone's mine in the first place. I can only imagine that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel for excuses to hate which I personally find pretty amusing.

Oh and finally "bigger" doesn't mean better or even more prestigious, it usually just means there was more room available.
__________________
"My name is Matai Shang and I do not exist, indeed I work very hard at it."

Avatar by Me
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 07:15 AM   #39
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Janeways Ready Room

If anything was over the top it was the size of the Enterprise-D, which even staff admitted was too big in internal memos.

Defiant Obrien wrote:
. . .Janeway has no business having a ready room "perceived to be that big". . .
A small bedroom can be perceived as larger if painted in light colors.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934

Last edited by Dr. Sevrin; April 26 2013 at 07:26 AM.
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:29 AM   #40
teacock
Admiral
 
Location: teacake
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Janeway's phasers were bigger too!!

That might be because she has so much opportunity to get ready. If Kirk had had her ready room his phasers wouldn't be those tiny little things. The more ready you are the bigger you are.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 08:49 AM   #41
Mytran
Fleet Captain
 
Mytran's Avatar
 
Location: North Wales
Re: Janeways Ready Room

hux wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Really? That does make a certain amount of sense but the season 1 ep where Neelix confiscated the dining room made it seem like the whole area was her own dining room to me.
Phew...glad i wasn't the only one that got that impression from the scene....it was Phage i believe and it definitely felt like they were suggesting the whole room was hers...i'm sure she even waved her hand to suggest the whole place....hmmm dunno, might have to check (unless someone's got a clip they can conveniently produce)
The mess hall actually turned up in Caretaker, in its (presumably) original form. There was an enormous replicator station where Neelix's counter would later be.
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...taker_0233.jpg
and
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...taker_0237.jpg
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 10:58 AM   #42
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Re: Janeways Ready Room

The Enterprise E ready room has a bed in it!

http://www.utopiaplanitia.info/enteready.html
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 11:30 AM   #43
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Janeways Ready Room

So did the D, but it was usually pushed into the wall and thought of as a couch. It was necessary for some of the quarterly "crew evaluations".
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:27 PM   #44
hux
Lieutenant Commander
 
hux's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Mytran wrote: View Post
The mess hall actually turned up in Caretaker, in its (presumably) original form. There was an enormous replicator station where Neelix's counter would later be.
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...taker_0233.jpg
and
http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...taker_0237.jpg
I swear to god, i've watched Voyager like seven times and there's still always something i seem to have missed (i'll keep an eye out for that during marathon number eight)

Picard's room suddenly makes me feel sorry for those fish...how many times must they have been knocked about during battle....and i'm guessing they died during some particularly heavy damage (maybe first contact)
__________________
Kryton - Is this the human quality you call....friendship

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2013, 01:36 PM   #45
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Janeways Ready Room

Livingston most likely died when Deanna crashed Enterprise-D in Generations.
__________________
Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard: For duty and humanity! --Men in Black, 1934
Dr. Sevrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.