Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old March 28 2013, 03:51 AM   #76
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: NBA 2012-13 Discussion

And the Heat streak is over.
Old March 28 2013, 05:20 AM   #77
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Thank you Bulls!!! Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU!!!
Old April 13 2013, 05:41 PM   #78
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Man, this season both sucks and blows.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old April 13 2013, 07:19 PM   #79
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Some opinion editor's column I was reading opined that if Bryant were healthy the Lakers could have made a run in the playoffs. I'm sorry, but no. No, they wouldn't have. Neither San Antonio nor my Thunder were quaking in their boots, Kobe or no Kobe.

Kobe's a great player, but he's all LA has. Therein lies the crux of the problem. He couldn't have willed the Lakers through the playoffs by himself. If that could be done, Cleveland would have rings by now. Without Bryant, the Lakers have less than nothing. Dwight Howard is going to get off his butt if someone isn't there chiding him every single minute? I doubt it.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 14 2013, 06:16 AM   #80
gblews
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Some opinion editor's column I was reading opined that if Bryant were healthy the Lakers could have made a run in the playoffs. I'm sorry, but no. No, they wouldn't have. Neither San Antonio nor my Thunder were quaking in their boots, Kobe or no Kobe.

Didn't hear you talking this crap BEFORE Kobe got hurt. I don't know about the OKC players but perhaps some of their fans were doing some "quaking" (at least up until Friday night)
Therein lies the crux of the problem. He couldn't have willed the Lakers through the playoffs by himself. If that could be done, Cleveland would have rings by now.
This would imply that LeBron is the player that Kobe is. He is not -- not yet at least.
Dwight Howard is going to get off his butt if someone isn't there chiding him every single minute? I doubt it.
You need to keep up on current events better. Dwight has slowly been rounding into the player the he has been for most of his career, since the All Star break. He is once again leading the league in rebounding and is in the top 10 in blocked shots. Pau has been playing great ball too since coming back from his foot injury. Earl Clark has also emerged as a solid contributor since the All-Star break. So yes, the Lakers have quite a bit more than just Kobe. I would be willing to bet that Scottie Brooks and Pop both breathed a sigh of relief when Kobe went down.

BTW, as I told you last season, more basketball watching, less listening to the talking heads.
Old April 14 2013, 06:19 AM   #81
gblews
Rear Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Man, this season both sucks and blows.

This is the most depressed I have been as a Lakers fan since Magic's announcement. A nightmare season that started with so much promise.
Old April 14 2013, 04:04 PM   #82
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

No, the Oklahoma City fans have been hoping for the Lakers even before Kobe's injury. It's Denver they didn't want to play and still don't. When whatshisname their star got injured, that was the sigh of relief from Oklahoma City. Denver's given them fits this year. LA hasn't given them any problems. Everyone was considering the first round victory as a given.

As far as me "not talking this crap before" in this thread, I haven't posted in months. I work nights now.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old April 14 2013, 08:06 PM   #83
gblews
Rear Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
No, the Oklahoma City fans have been hoping for the Lakers even before Kobe's injury.
I said Pop and Scottie Brooks. Who cares what still-brand-new-to-the-NBA OKC fans think. Did you know that the Lakers and OKC have pretty near the same record since the All-Star break? Probably not. NBA history is littered with teams who have completely turned their seasons around after the break. As of last week I guarantee you, the Lakers were not a team any western team was "hoping" for, despite the way they may have felt earlier in the season and despite what they may be telling the media now.

The Lakers who were playing before Kobe's injury were not the same team you saw earlier in the season. As I said, you and the OKC fans are simply unaware.
Denver's given them fits this year.
Denver has given a lot of western tams fits this season. They are the one team most Lakers fans didn't want to see in the playoffs (not the Thunder, who some think we match up rather well against). I only agreed with (fear of Denver) to the extent that the Lakers aren't quite as strong this season, not because Denver is such an imposing team in the playoffs. Nuggs are built for the regular season, not the playoffs where you've got to have a couple of dogs who can score against anyone or get stops against anyone, not just a "deep" bench.

BTW, really looking forward to seeing "if", or how much the Thunder miss, or don't miss Mike Harden.
As far as me "not talking this crap before" in this thread, I haven't posted in months. I work nights now.
Oh, this is the only reason you haven't been posting stuff like this? I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking you'd learned something from last season about the NBA season being a marathon and not a sprint.

Last edited by gblews; April 14 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old April 19 2013, 02:15 AM   #84

Well, the Lakers sneak in at #7.

I have absolutely no illusions about how far they'll go without Kobe and Nash, but they have improved a bit over the second half of the season.

Enjoy the playoffs, everyone!

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old April 19 2013, 04:34 AM   #85
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I think the Warriors will give Denver a series, even though Denver will win. I am rooting for the Warriors, of course, but I could see this series going 7 games. It's going to be a fun series, as I think they all will be.
Old April 25 2013, 08:08 PM   #86
gblews
Rear Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I think the Warriors will give Denver a series, even though Denver will win. I am rooting for the Warriors, of course, but I could see this series going 7 games. It's going to be a fun series, as I think they all will be.
Nuggs may miss Gallinari more than you guys miss David Lee. Golden State is one of the few teams who can go toe to toe with Denver scoring AND they have Steph Curry. Nuggs, as I have said before, don't have that "dog". They have a lot of guys who are at around the same level skill wise. This can be great in the regular season, but in the playoffs you need more.

The other reason I like GS this season is because of Mark Jackson. He is the first decent coach they've had in many years (and I am including the years they had that clown, Nelson).

The misery will soon be over for the Lakers. I'm proud of the guys for hanging in there. Spurs should be worried a bit. They have not looked all that great against a totally beat up team. The largest number of points they out-scored the Lakers by in a quarter (in game 2) was 5. With just a little more scoring from the Lakers this series would be tied...and if a bullfrog had wings...

Last edited by gblews; April 25 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old April 25 2013, 11:30 PM   #87
gblews
Rear Admiral

Announced today; Steve Blake out indefinitely, Steve Nash and Jodie Meeks "doubtful" for game 3.

It just gets worser and worser.
Old April 25 2013, 11:48 PM   #88

gblews wrote: View Post
Announced today; Steve Blake out indefinitely, Steve Nash and Jodie Meeks "doubtful" for game 3.

It just gets worser and worser.
Yeah, we'll be putting towel boys and concession stand employees out on the floor....

Old April 26 2013, 12:03 AM   #89
Borgminister

Time for some 10-day contracts...
Old April 26 2013, 03:55 AM   #90
gblews
Rear Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Time for some 10-day contracts...
Closed Thread